Backing Up Anti-Spyware and Virus Protection Updates

by Shirley R / August 15, 2007 10:55 AM PDT

WindowsXP Professional, SP2
HP a1253w desktop

AVG Free 7.5.476
AVG Anti-Spyward
Spybot S&D
Spywareblaster

I have a back-up of these programs, but they do not include the many updates that I have installed since I installed the initial programs. My computer recently crashed and I had to reinstall everything. It was very time consuming to install all of the updates. so
I would like to know if it is possible to back-up the updates also. I noticed that AVG Free, for instance, has files in C: Windows/Programs, and in Documents and Settings/Application Data. If I back-up all of these files will they include all of the updates that have been installed, or do I just need to back-up certain files?

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA

Shirley,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backing Up Anti-Spyware and Virus Protection Updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backing Up Anti-Spyware and Virus Protection Updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shirley, It Depends On The Program...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 16, 2007 2:44 AM PDT

I'm not familiar with all of your programs but the best way to back up the updates for each of those programs is to download the most recent "manual" update installer for the program and save it. (In order to stay current though, you'll need to frequently download and backup each of the newest manual update installers.) Not all antimalware programs have such a manual updater but many do..

For example:

AVG Antispyware has the full definition file which can be downloaded at the site below. (It's not perfect as a correct download from the internet will also install engine updates and such but the download below will allow you to install the definitions and run a current scan.):

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/updates/

Likewise, a few Spybot S&D updates, such as the "Detection Updates" and "Tools Updates" can be downloaded from the link below:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Windows Defender manual updates:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/

AVG Antivirus Free:

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/update/us/crp/0

As to SpywareBlaster, I don't use it so try checking their website.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
In addition
by tomron / August 16, 2007 5:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Many Tks. Grif & Tom for the info and links.
by Shirley R / August 16, 2007 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: In addition
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.