PC Applications forum

General discussion

Backing up a Software program

by toddbobb / March 18, 2005 1:17 AM PST

I would like help or suggestions in backing up a software program I just purchased. In order to run this program, it has to be in the cd drive. I want to be able to load it into my harddrive so I don't have to carry around the disc. This program cost me almost $300, it would hurt if I were to lose it or damage it. I've even tried making a duplicate in case the original was lost or damage, I was uable to do that as well. If you could also help me to do that I would be grateful.
Thanks
(My computer is an HP notebook AMD Athlon 654mhz, 480mb RAM 38gig harddrive, XP home servicepack2 )

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Backing up a Software program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Backing up a Software program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CD burner?
by Coryphaeus / March 18, 2005 1:24 AM PST

If you have a CD burner drive and the associated software, a copy is easy.

Collapse -
I tried my CD burner
by toddbobb / March 18, 2005 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: CD burner?

To Coryphaeus: I tried my cd burner to copy the software disc, but a message would appear during the copying that said, Windows encountered a problem copying this file: Skip, Cancel, or Retry. I would Skip and have the disc completed. I would put the disc into the computer the program was installed in but I would get the same message as if it wasn't there: "You must insert the original CD to run this program"

Collapse -
Some software is designed to not be copied
by glb613 / March 19, 2005 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: I tried my CD burner

If that is the kind you have, it will give error messages when doing the burn.

Collapse -
Backup software for $300?
by FrankQTran / March 18, 2005 2:17 AM PST

That's too expensive (IMHO).

I would return it and go for Symantec GHOST V.9 for the price 10 times lesser and it can be burned into another CD as a backup purpose easily.

Regards,

Collapse -
Why not name names?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2005 5:17 AM PST
Collapse -
Why Not?
by taboma. / March 18, 2005 11:15 AM PST
In reply to: Why not name names?

Bob, Just tried this forum and it sounds like the software was bootlegged and or copied. Need the original?
You bet!
Do you think that is what is wrong? Does Microsoft have a built-in security thread like some DVDs?
Just a question. Thanks,

Kevin

Collapse -
For Kevin,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2005 11:38 AM PST
In reply to: Why Not?

So far Microsoft with the exception of X-Box and games doesn't copy protect the CD. You can make duplicates of just about any CD/DVD made with the exceptions noted above.

It's quite sad the original poster didn't name names. They missed out on getting a solution.

As to piracy, I give everyone the first nod they are legit. Only the idiot pirate would post here for help since you have to supply a valid email to post.

Bob

Collapse -
Backing up a Software program
by Stasius / March 18, 2005 10:45 PM PST

CloneCD + DaemonTools- the best solution.

Collapse -
I'll try you're advice
by toddbobb / March 19, 2005 2:40 AM PST

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to get those things to find out if they'll work for me. But I'll give it a whirl.
By the way, some are insinuating that this a bootleg, just for the record, it's not. It is also not a microsoft program. Believe it or not I actually paid money for a legitimate program.

Collapse -
How about me commenting you are a pirate?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2005 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: I'll try you're advice

I didn't. But it's very strange you didn't supply the needed information to get the best help.

It seems you enjoy this situation and don't want help.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!