Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Background programs

by MWS788 / November 13, 2014 9:50 AM PST

Sorry but the topic about eliminating programs running in the background changed the topic pretty quickly and I still need help with the original topic. I've eliminated the programs I know I can without repercussions, however there are some listings I simply can't figure out. Tried searching some of them but didn't really get a solid answer whether they actually needed to be running or not. I don't believe it is as simple as disabling everything but anti-virus but I know I can't possibly need everything that is running. I'm afraid that removing something I'm unfamiliar with just because I don't know what it is will cause me problems that I might become aware of after any possible damage is done. So please can anyone post on this subject alone without plugging a particular product or discussing the faults of others. I just want to know how to read down the list of programs and take the proper actions. I have used several programs to clean already. I now just need to either know which programs I can remove, disable or out right eliminate if they are totally unnecessary and were not installed by me. Thank you so much and please don't take offense at my suggesting we remain on topic. Having run an artist's forum for a few years I appreciate passion and although not a techie I do believe I will enjoy it here as well but I am pulling my hair out with this issue and at my age its about the only thing left that's still in factory condition even if white instead of the original brown. Looking forward to participating in more discussions.
Michael
Dell Inspiron NS110, Windows 7 Home

MWS788 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Background programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Background programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I can't find the NS110.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2014 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: Background programs

I do see a Dell Inspiron N5110

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by MWS788

Collapse -
I'd start this discussion in the Computer Help forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2014 10:05 AM PST
In reply to: Background programs
Collapse -
Sorry, 1st time. Thought it was.
by MWS788 / November 13, 2014 2:29 PM PST

I've just spent 5 hours searching individual Processes again. There are now only 2 left that I'm not completing sure of although they appear to be okay. WTCClient and hkcmd,exe. As I said I've run several repair/cleaning programs and since both check out my only question remains do they need to be in Startup? hkcmd.exe is System 32, but I'm just not sure I require the hot keys function to be running and I don't appear to be having any problems with WTCClient so the same question applies to it. Sorry I didn't include names before because I didn't expect anyone to solve individual questions but rather supply a general approach that I could follow to fix them myself. I find I learn tech issues better that way. But I certainly appreciate your help at this point.

Collapse -
Re: hkcmd.exe
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 13, 2014 3:42 PM PST

hkcmd.exe is a legitmate program from Intel that activates hotkeys to access your graphic settings. It can be disabled if you don't want to use those specific hotkeys. Intel did a great job hiding the documentation, so let me give it here:
<ctrl><alt>up: rotate screen 0 degrees
<ctrl><alt>left: rotate screen 90 degrees
<ctrl><alt>down: rotate screen 180 degrees
<ctrl><alt>right: rotate screen 180 degrees
<ctrl><alt>f6: open hotkey window
<ctrl><alt>f1: open screen monitors
<ctrl><alt>f11: open screen scaling
<ctrl><alt>f12: open Intel HD Graphics Control Panel
<ctrl><alt>f8:: restore default graphic settings

I remember a question not too long ago in these forums about a cat who accidentally had pressed <ctrl><alt>left, leaving the owner in panic because he didn't know how to rotate the screen back to normal.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by MWS788 / November 16, 2014 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: Re: hkcmd.exe

That's the information I found so I appreciate the confirmation.

Collapse -
Re: wtclient
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 13, 2014 3:48 PM PST

Is it really wtcclient, or wtclient (with one c). The last, if you mean wtclient.exe located in c:\windows\system32, seems to be a device or operating specific driver. It's not on my Windows 7 PC here.

What's the filename, what folder is it in and what's does the details tab (right click>properties) tell about it?

Kees

Collapse -
Tablet Client Driver
by MWS788 / November 16, 2014 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: Re: wtclient

It's a tablet client driver, but this is a laptop. So I don't see the need. I'll check further but I think the answer is in the name. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!