Laptops forum

General discussion

Back with another question, despite what the chaperones....

by KJT6660 / March 18, 2007 5:26 PM PDT

Well, some of you might remember me, I asked too many questions awhile back, or too many difficult questions, or really I am not quite sure why the forum security started getting on my back.

I do still have the job as a Wellness Coach/Fitness Coach for the Fortune 250 company but the laptop I decide on had to be sent back because it could not perform on a regular basis. Hope that does not hit too close to "home" for some of the regular patrol experts.

For the job I had decided on a Dell Insp E1705. As far as the make up and the specifics, I am too tired to get into that but I got mostly the "top" of everything until it started getting to the extra batteries, printers, etc. I spent about $2,500.

Dell took it back and I am in limbo now as far as what I am able to do.

So,, I am open for suggestions. I am a wellness coach/fitness coach that does all the coaching over the INTERNET on what is called a web platform. There when I am my client meet for our scheduled appointment, we get the cameras going, the microphone (I had a bluetooth headset) and start doing what I do the best. hehe

I am hoping to get a total refund by Dell but who knows. Th is a lot of money they will lose but they should have made a better quality machine. I t tried to get Dell to remove all software, Ad ware, games, anything that is not essential to Vista
Small Business, Office 2007, etc. that obviously was not done since the conflicts started to happen before I even loaded my fitness and nutrition software.

I have looked at the FE, FV series from Sony Vaio, the one with the carbon, bullet proof shell, MacBook Pro, Dell CPS and another Dell.

Any help, guidance, in regards to a laptop that will rerely be needed to be taken out of the AC socket (rarely, but it will happen), that is fast, can handle a nutrition program figuring out what the total calories, fat grams, CHO grams, protein, sugars, fiber, while the coaching session is still going on and I am taking notes so they can immediately be posted on this clients home page on this web platform.

I need to find a company that can make a computer without all the ad ware, extra games, programs that did not order. if that is not possible any recommendations on good solid machines that I can at least check out. I am not sure if now is a good or bad time to be buying a laptop but the work is backing up and since I am a new at the job, an absent coach is not very ideal for this huge company who offers this service to their execs for "free."

Thanks so much!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Back with another question, despite what the chaperones....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Back with another question, despite what the chaperones....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What couldn't you do?
by linkit / March 18, 2007 8:48 PM PDT

New computers from Dell don't come with adware. If a computer comes with a couple programs you don't like, just uninstall them or don't use them. They don't affect performance. You don't pay for them, so you don't get a discount if they aren't installed. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM.

The little games don't take up much hard drive space. They don't affect performance. You don't pay for them, so you don't get a discount if they aren't installed. Again, THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM.

Specifically, what problems did you encounter with the E1705? What didn't work so well? What couldn't you do?

Collapse -
"tried to get Dell to remove all software..."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 1:26 AM PDT

You need to get this done by some "consultant." No Dell, Gateway, HP or other will do your biding here since it's too costly to install the OS from "scratch."

In fact once you do this, how would you get it back to it's pristine state without data loss? (Hey, that's this topic.)

Given your requirments why not find a consultant (aka GURU) that will give you a quote on such a system install? It will cost from 500 to something more dollars since we can't use the OEM OS that all these companies use to meet your goals so we get to pay again for the OS and maybe what other applications you want.

Sounds pricey to me.

-> Let me share I've encountered such requests before and it's best to begin the quote process and lay out in great detail what we will be doing, the costs, the hours and the expected results.

Only then and after about 1/2 down our office begins such a system. Hopefully you can see why it's easier to just get the system and uninstall the items you don't want.

Your choice of course.

About backup. My system of backup is mine, but no system I see today tackles this issue except Apple. In fact, why not Apple? But back to the PC backup. I have no less than 4 backup systems.

1. Quick copy to USB drives. Hint: I use SyncBack.
2. Longer term backup to DVDRW sets. Hint: I use CDRBURNERXP.
3. Another copy of work projects to a SecureSSH server.
4. And a final copy to my spiffy 4GB memory key. This is what I carry with me so if fate befall home and all other places I have what I can't lose with me.

Hope you find some useful ideas here,

Collapse -
thanks and about the Mac
by KJT6660 / April 1, 2007 3:10 AM PDT

Some good ideas. I was going to go to a Mac but the fitness and nutrition software I have to have does not come ina Mac version. so, let's hear about what can be done in this case. I am sure there is something out there that will allow me to run Microsoft stuff on a Mac.

Collapse -
About the Mac...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2007 3:29 AM PDT

That's a little pricey but even I may make the plunge this year for my road unit. Currently the office supplies me with a nice Compaq r3000 Ahtlon 64 unit that is nice and roomy. Yes I took about 20 minutes when new to eject what it came with and change to my selection of antispyware, antivirus and firewall but that was over and done in minutes. Once in awhile a member will talk about doing a "clean install" but that's more time and money than I'll wish to invest.

More to the Mac side. If I'm going there the current killer solution is PARALLES with COHERENCE. There's a video on their web site but here's the YouTube version.

This is where I'm headed soon.

Collapse -
Is this as simple and work as good as the Tube site makes...
by KJT6660 / April 19, 2007 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: About the Mac...

Is the PARALLELS with COHERENCE something that is on the MAC PRO or how does one get it set up? So the fitness and nutrition software I have and use when I am online coaching would be able to be used as easily as the videos show when I am using my new MAC for online Wellness Coaching?

Take your knowledge to that of a 4th grader, if you have the time, so I can understand what this is all about and how one gets it up and running.

Collapse -
My 4th grader got a PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2007 4:49 AM PDT

The Mac and what I noted would be lost on him. Does that help?

Collapse -
I was out of town for a month...
by KJT6660 / April 19, 2007 3:51 AM PDT

I have been seriously looking at the Mac Pro. I have never owned a Mac. You know how stupid my questions are, and that goes for my tech knowledge about notebooks too. I was confused, for lack of a better word, when I went to put together a MAC, at how different the "configuration process" is. One of the requirements from the American College of Sports Medicine is that I need 3 GB (I think is the correct terminology) but all I saw was 1 and I think possibly 2 of RAM from the Apple Store. This might not be a big issue. I can just hear you guys saying; "well just buy some more RAM and install it yourself."

Another issue is that the Fitness/Health and Nutrition software programs I have do not come for a MAC.

As fas as the Dell I configured, when I was finished configuring it, there were a couple red flags that popped up about incompatibility. I ordered Vista Premium and there was a problem with that and the Bluetooth or one of the Bluetooth devices I ordered. I called Dell and they put together a system for me after "listening" to my needs but it did not take into consideration the majority of the requirements I know I need.

I think he either ignored me or just did not know or care what he was doing.

I am now looking at the Sony Vaio notebooks. I configured one with customer support and when it was all said and done it was back ordered 8 weeks. I called Tech Support (don't ask me why, I think I thought a different approach might prove helpful). The computer he recommended given my needs looked good, the price was right but some how my credit card (the Sony card I applied for to get special financing) somehow was "stolen" when it arrived at my house (I have a couple teenage sons who I thought were raised well and turning out to be up standing men) and used to purchase a computer but the fraud department at Sony picked up on this because of the different mailing address and that who order was canceled, the credit card account, and I had to wait for a new card. However the specials like 8 points per dollar spent, free shipping, $100 cash back, extra RAM were all expired. The free shipping was there by the time I got the new card...

So, I am going to post a new post. Sorry guys and see if I can get some good insight about the VAIOs. The one above was configured but the machine was a VGN-FE890.

Thanks for your help, men!

Collapse -
Sony, the one and only = You don't want to know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2007 4:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
3GB ?
by linkit / April 19, 2007 6:43 AM PDT
"One of the requirements from the American College of Sports Medicine is that I need 3 GB (I think is the correct terminology)...."

Are you sure they meant 3GB of system RAM and not 3GB of hard drive space to install one of their proprietary programs or files?
Collapse -
share a little
by linkit / April 19, 2007 7:09 AM PDT

Believe me, there are many who wish to help you and relieve your frustration.

You have stated that the E1705 didn't meet your needs or couldn't do what you wanted it to do. Got it. We could suggest models or configurations that will accomplish what the E1705 couldn't do, but we have no idea what the E1705 couldn't do for you. You haven't told us in what way or ways the E1705 failed you.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?