Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Back up on XP

What should I copy to CD to make a back-up?
DT

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Back up on XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Back up on XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Back up on XP

In reply to: Back up on XP

Hi There what you back up is realy up to you, but I assume you are asking in case of a time when you have to reinstall the OS and you want to restore your files etc. What I like to back up is my Address book, My Documents, My Emails, My Favorites and so on. I also have a Dragon Naturally speaking and I back up the User file as the training for the program takes quite a while to re input. If I were you I would make sure I back up things like that, some people like to back up cookies but I don't. I am not sure but I thought XP had a program on it to automaticly back up your files and settings, as I have only win 98SE I cannot say on that one but no doubt someone will respond and put you on the right track. Regards Tony B.

Collapse -

In reply to: Back up on XP

The basic rule: everything you can't easily recreate from CD or from the Internet and don't want to lose in case of calamities.
This is nearly equivalent to 'everything you made yourself'. Which depends on what you do with the machine with what programs. Everything made by Microsoft and HP and Symantec and the like is easily restored from the original media.

For example, you might find it interesting to backup saved games from 1999 up to now, just to be able to replay all your victories. Or, just as well, you might not use the machine for gaming at all.
And you might have a selection of 1000 music files of your favorite artist, collected from unknown sources during 5 years, you wouldn't want to lose. Or you might not. Or pictures of your beloved ones you've got nowhere else.

As mentioned, more or less standard is a backup of
address book, mails, Word and Excel documents, Access databases, your own pictures and photo's, Word's normal.dot (if you have invested time in it) and custom.*** files.

Do you happen to use the machine for programming, backup all your sources. Do you happen to run application programs (like Money or a CD-administration, well there are thousands and thousands of applications, but you get the picture) backup all the data files belonging to them.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Back up on XP

Yes, thanks kees, it does help. Your suggestions make sence and that's what I'll do.David

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.