General discussion

Back up files when Vista won't allow access

Vista Premium w/SP1

I need to know how I can back up my files when Vista isn't letting me access them. A thorough description of the problem follows:

I was attempting to back up files to a DVD today when everything froze; I got a Windows Explorer Not Responding message (Not INTERNET explorer!) with the option to wait or restart. I selected Restart, then everything but my desktop background disappeared. I waited nearly an hour but nothing happened.

As there was no Start icon, I did a hard shutdown.

When I turned it back on, the computer did not start. I did Startup Repair and the recommended System Restore and the computer started up as normal. Now, everything I open up freezes after a few seconds. My web browsers can access the internet but it freezes; I attempt to open the files and folders and they freeze. When I went to open the control panel and access the error reports, that too freezes. I don't get any errors, just freezes and "Not Responding".

I've tried zipping the files which works to a point, then uploading them to my server via FTP, but the program freezes during the upload. I'm not sure what to do.

What started out as a simple attempt to back up a few files has now turned in to a very large problem. I'd like to back up my files and do a complete uninstall-reinstall of Vista. I'm not tech saavy but I do follow directions well and am hoping for a solution!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Back up files when Vista won't allow access
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Back up files when Vista won't allow access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I should probably clarify:

When I say "it freezes", I mean the applications or windows freeze. I can move around the windows and I get the hourglass, but everything just hangs like that indefinitely. I just attempted Start > Restart, and that too is not responding!

- Collapse -
Let's look at other access methods.
- Collapse -
Thanks, but

Thanks, but it still requires I download Ubuntu and transfer it to a drive and as I explained, my computer is not allowing me to do any of that.

- Collapse -
Ask a friend.

And there are not plenty of other options from putting the drive into some other USB case, service counters and the best is your friends. Ask them to make a few Linux boot CDs. Try Ubuntu, DSL, Puppy and others.

You'll be glad you did,
Bob

- Collapse -
Error Log

In Safemode, I could pull up the Event Log. As follows:

System
Event ID: 7001 Source: Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider General: The WebClient service depends on the WebDav Client RedirectorDriver service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start. (There are about 15 of these errors, all documenting something different that failed to start.)

Event ID: 10005 Source: DistributedCOM General: DCOM got error "1804/1068" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server: (There are 8 of these errors)

Event ID: 6008 Source: EventLog General: The previous system shutdown at 1:48 PM on 4/11/2010 was unexpected. (FYI - the computer did not shut down at that time that I'm aware)

Event ID: 20 Source: WindowsUpdateClient General: Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with erro 08022016:Update for Windows (KB970158.)

There are also a myriad of Information messages too. Hope this helps someone help me! Thank you!

- Collapse -
Ok, one more time!

My Error Log as shown in SafeMode:

Applications: Event ID: 4609 Source: EventSystem General: The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code uring its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043c from line 4 of d:vistasp1_gdr\com\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support to report this error.

I did. Still hoping for help!

CNET Forums

Forum Info