HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Back to the Prevx Question

by bglover51 / July 21, 2005 7:46 PM PDT

OK, I gave Prevx a full month trial (well almost a month) and I noticed (1) it didn't play nice with other programs (Spyware Doctor and MSAS) and (2) could not see, beyond registry protection, what value it was adding to my security suite.

I have reenabled MSAS and Spyware Doctor real-time protections and disabled (yet again) Prevx Home. Already have noticed smoother running simply by disablying Prevx from my system.

In theory I like the idea of IDE protection, but not sure that Prevx is the product I want on my particular system. I've used it on and off for 5 weeks now (total enabled time) and I always felt my computer ran choppy whenever it was on there.. all the alerts were a pain (a necessary pain I understand) and, except when downloading something, I never saw any indication it was doing anything (which is not meant to imply it wasn't).

How necssary is this program? I have plenty of other programs running to protect my PC (just for real-time protection I am using Spyware Blater, Spyware Guard, Spybot immunization, Win Patrol, and the aforemention MSAS and Spyware Doctor real=time protectios, which I've reenabled after disabling Prevx).

Do I need a registry protector beyond Win Patrol (doesn't report in real-time, may take up to a minute to discover any changes, but in essence still provides similar protection to Prevx and plays much nicer with my system)?

(PS I am thinking of adding DiamondCS's Process Guard to the mix, anyone using this and can they please comment on it).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Back to the Prevx Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Back to the Prevx Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you have enough protection as is, methinks.
by dawillie / July 22, 2005 3:45 AM PDT

I am not sure what you are using for AV or whether or not you are behind a firewall but IDE protecton per se seems to be heading to the overkill zone, IMO.

Also no mention of what your O/S is and assuming it is XP-SP-2 with it's own firewall enabled think you are adequately protected.

Collapse -
I also think you have plenty
by roddy32 / July 22, 2005 3:59 AM PDT

I use SpywareGuard and MSAS for real time plus I use SpywareBlaster and Spybot's immunization and host's file for blockers without using all the others and I have no problems at all. I also use the SP2 firewall and various other scanners but nothing else as far as real time protection and the scanners never find anything except for an occasional tracking cookie.

Collapse -
Sorry Willie
by bglover51 / July 22, 2005 4:13 AM PDT

Sure, I use FW and AV... I didn't mention those because I figured that was implied... plus I've posted plenty on AVG and Zone Alarm. (Plus, I am obviously a person concerned with protection and it would be silly for someone like that not to have at the least AV and FW). And XP SP2

But, I guess perhaps I wasn't clear in my question. My concern is that I am lacking certain SPECIFIC protections provided by Prevx that others are missing and that is essential to a well-protected PC. I want all angles covered as well as I can cuz I am online all day and surf quite a bit.

Perhaps PrcessGuard can cover some of it.. Maybe All-Seeing Eye, a product mentioned in a different thread, can as well. Most of the protections we all are using prevent stuff from downloading-- but it still does. What Prevx supposedly could do was tell you when something bad was trying to execute.

I accept I will still get bits of junk on my pc-- and I know how to get rid of it once I know it's there. But I dont want it there long. Prevx, in theory, was the one program I had (besides Win Patrol, anyway) that could alert me even if something got through. I like that idea in theory-- certainly I didn't like Prevx in practice.

Collapse -
I think you are fine
by roddy32 / July 22, 2005 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry Willie

with what you have. I have never heard of that ''All-Seeing Eye'' except from that other post and from doing a Google search doesn't tell much about it either as far as reviews. If I read more about it I might change my mind but I have never seen any of the experts in any of the security forums that I belong to mention it either one way or the other.

Collapse -
really
by dyspyzthespyz / July 22, 2005 4:43 AM PDT

the only thing i do not like about this that Prevx Home was constantly connecting my home system to their collection server, without my permission. This, imo, is very tantamount to spyware, so I removed Prevx Home. Now the only way around this is the Pro, or paid version which allows you to disable that function...where as my point is, this product is up in the air to me. everyone tells me that all it is doing is ensuring the system is clean, clear, what problems, and or parasites tried to sneak in, sorta like a call back to momma to let her know how you are doing, however, i do not like products free or not that do this without giving the option to disable or not and without my permission.....that's just my opinion, again, mine only.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.