TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

BACK TO THE BIG STORE NITEMARE

by stewart norrie / January 25, 2006 2:17 AM PST

Most of you know, Iam planning to upgrade my old Sony 3 tube monster, and after a week of shopping I'am readdy for the nut house, Here is an example Went to Frys They had a 73" mitshibi that was jawdropping looked behind at the set up and found it was hooked up to a computor, Also there cheaper set were fed with a 75ohm cable, some t.vs were hooked up to hi-def satellite and they looked nasty, Went to Magnolia they were displaying two front projectors that cost as much as a house IS THERE ANY 70" or larger t.v. out there that will give a stunning picture for $5000 max Also when I call lush budget home theater stores they just laugh at me when I ask about a projector for $5000

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BACK TO THE BIG STORE NITEMARE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BACK TO THE BIG STORE NITEMARE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
no suggestion for that big of a tv, but
by masterying01 / January 25, 2006 2:31 PM PST

i can explain why they hooked up THEIR tv's the way they did.

harddrive so they can rig it so the mitsubishi actually displays a true 1080p signal (through the firewire port only or usb or whatever is in the back).

75ohm coax is there to mimic a HDTV antenna and they're just using the tv's builtin HD OTA tuner to display a TRUE HD picture through their own feeds.

sets hooked up with HD satellite might be there to demonstrate to customers the different between hd and non-hd but the employees use it to watch regular tv thats non-hd.

in my opinion...but magnolia store is more like a car-show room to "wow" customers with expensive stuff...then an actual store, but the employees a lot of times(in the chicago land area), have no idea what they are talking about and are cocky as hell.

i'd really like to see samsung's new LED light dlps that are comming out soon. LED lights produce a very good lightsource(great whites)...and add that to the 1080p resolution...it'll make a good rp tv with good viewing angle.......but its just not out yet for me to check out.

Collapse -
THEIR tv's the way they did.
by jcrobso / January 26, 2006 12:07 AM PST

I like your posts, If I ever get free weekend I'll come up to Sokoie and we can trade stroies. You got it right on the head about most Chicago land sales people.
The ones at FRY's were useless. I was there and some cutomers were asking question about the different TVs and the salesman just had a blank look on his face,,,, so I answerd them.
Yes, the only way to currently get 1080p is via the DVI port on a PC. There are some 1080p DVDs that use WMV-HD encoding, I have one. It looks great on my 19" PC monitor.
I wold like see the LED DLPs, I wonder how many LED they are using to get it that bright. The could have used a 3 chip DLP and gotten rid of the color wheel.
Ther is little info out there on them. Are they using RGB LEDs??? That would be good.

One thing I do, after about 4 months of looking at about 150 different HDTVs, I have stopped looking, spend my time at home enjoing my new HDTV. John

Collapse -
Take a look here.
by Art / January 25, 2006 4:11 PM PST
http://www.projectionguys.com/product.cfm?id=461

It seem $5000 price might be do-able. $1000 for the screen, $2000 for the projector, that leave $2000 for the rest of the HT.

Don't know much about this projection stuff but I was wondering which is more important..lumens rating or the contrast rating. Anyone have any idea?
Collapse -
and here.
by Art / January 25, 2006 4:32 PM PST
In reply to: Take a look here.
Collapse -
.lumens rating or the contrast rating. Both!!
by jcrobso / January 26, 2006 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: Take a look here.

Also whit a front projector ambinent room light is a big factor. The lowest ANSI lumin rating I would recomend is 1900 or better. 1024x768 resoultoin min.
Yes 2000 hour lamp life is the norm. I'm waiting to see if the 4000~6000 hour lamp life clamed by DLPs is real or FUD.
There are only a couple of projectors out there that are 1280X720. John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!