Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Back to Jpeg etc

by britespark / January 17, 2006 6:56 AM PST

The old trick, my daughter arrived home with a Kodak Easy Share CD and promptly loaded it onto my computer. Now all my Jpeg files and the like, for various programs are converted to Kodak Easy Share.

I'd like to go back to the world I once knew. If I uninstall the Kodak software will my files revert back to they're previous file type? I want to get rid of the program anyway as it's crushing my already overloaded computer. Yes I know, hopefully a new computer one day.

I checked for a Restore point but of course none available.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Back to Jpeg etc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Back to Jpeg etc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can uninstall...
by John.Wilkinson / January 17, 2006 8:37 AM PST
In reply to: Back to Jpeg etc

The files should not have been changed at all...unless there were modifications done to them you'll find them in their original locations and original format/type. Thus, no conversion should have been done. I'm guessing that the issue is that when double-clicking a file, it is automatically opened in Kodak's Easy Share software. In that case it's just an association issue...Kodak has been set as the default program to open those files. Uninstalling Kodak Easy Share should restore your defaults, transporting you back to your home planet. Another thing you can do, whether your leave the program installed or not, is right-click one of the files, select "open with," choose the program of your choice, and check the box that states the program should always be used.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
Sounds like the right answer
by Aivas / January 18, 2006 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: You can uninstall...

I have used the software for quite a while...and I don't remember if I made sure to unclick the option to make EasyShare the default program for all picture files. That is my habit, though...and should be yours as well. Whenever you install a new program, watch the windows that come up, and look through them carefully.

I learned this, as you have, the hard way. Someone installed Real PLayer on my work computer, and it reset all the audio files to open through it. Worse, the settings for the speakers and sound system were reset in a way that made recording commercials very difficult. I unset all of this--but every time the program was used, it tried to reset everything the way IT wanted. Don't like presumptive programs like this. Never used it again.

Bob K.

Collapse -
It was the right answer
by britespark / January 19, 2006 9:01 AM PST

Uninstalled the Kodak program and my files are back to their old selves. The Kodak program was a bit of a worry actually. My daughter started the installation process and for some reason left the computer for a few minutes when I came and looked at the screen it had a message along the lines of ''can't find the operating system''. ''Oh great'' was my innitial reaction. Anyway managed to get things going it did have an option to select Kodak Easy share as the default program which I did not do. Seems like it had a mind of it's own and did it anyway.

Alls well that ends well but I'm happy to be rid of the program anyway. Thanks for the interest and help offered by all.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?