TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Back (Rear) Surrounds on 7.1

by badge671 / November 18, 2005 9:51 PM PST

For those of us with a couch that is close to the back wall (a little over 1 foot from wall to couch), I'm wondering if anyone can share their personal experiences on placing the rear/back surrounds on 7.1

Of course, I will certainly try different positions before mounting them, but I just wanted to hear some more thoughts ahead of time.

So far, the three primary alternatives I've heard are: 1)Mount them as high up on the wall above the listeners as you can. 2) Mount them on the ceiling behind the listeners, and fire them backward into the wall behind the listeners. 3) Mount them on the ceiling behind the listeners, firing them straight down. (or, 4. get dipoles. But I don't like how they look)

Another alternative (my main reason for posting this) seems to be mounting them on the FLOOR behind the couch, a foot or two off the ground, firing straight up at the ceiling. This is the option I would like to hear your experiences on. As I said, I know I need to experiment with all options. But after careful thinking, it seems to me that doing that SHOULD work best in producing the desired affect when seated so close to the back wall. The point is for the sound to NOT be localized, right? I don't know, it just seems to me that the "creaks" and "distant" sounds and voices from soundtracks would be harder to localize when coming from behind the couch, shooting up (rather than coming from overhead somewhere). Or, would that interfere with the "seamlessness" of the sounds field, with the back surrounds being at a different height than the side surrounds?

Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Back (Rear) Surrounds on 7.1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Back (Rear) Surrounds on 7.1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
THIS WORKED FOR ME
by stewart norrie / November 19, 2005 2:51 AM PST

I have my rear souround speakers about 4 ft. from the wall to the listining area and about 3ft above my other 5 speakers and the effect is awsome. If you have a good 7.1 amp and speakers those rear speakers really give a 360 degree sound effect good luck stewart norrie

Collapse -
on the floor? interesting...
by grimgraphix / November 19, 2005 9:17 AM PST

Wouldn't work for me due to kids playing "fort" behind the couch but 3 concerns come to mind.

If you place the speakers a foot or two above the floor you might get the same effect as if the speakers were right next to your ear, volume wise that is.

If you place the speaker too low you might lose a lot of sound by the back of the couch absorbing sound in the upholstery. Leather couches may be different.

the ceiling may be too far and not reflect enough sound back down to your position (considering the upholstery situation).

you could strategically place some shelves on the wall to act as a reflector instead of depending on the ceiling. I've seen designer style shelves that had angled valances that ran the entire length under the shelf that might make a pretty good reflector. I guess you will have to explore the "acoustic characteristics" of your couch but considering they make speakers with upward firing tweeters bouncing sound off of reflectors your idea seems doable.

let us know how it works.

grim

Collapse -
by badge671 / November 19, 2005 9:16 PM PST

Yes, those are all concerns of mine, as well. However, it is a small room. And, I will have a receiver with auto-calibration and EQ. In that case, I think that will compensate for any volume issues. I thought possibly that deflection from the couch might actually help with preventing localization in this case (with seating being in such close proximity to the back). Maybe not just aiming the speakers up, but also aiming them slightly back toward the wall (as you suggested), and toed-in slightly at angles toward the center from each side (so, they'd be firing up, back, and toward the center from behind the couch). Again, I was just thinking this would better at making the sounds harder to 'pinpoint'

Yes, I'll report back later and keep you all posted with my results. And again, I appreciate the input from everyone.

Collapse -
rounded deflector
by grimgraphix / November 19, 2005 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: ....

It just struck me re: the shelf used as deflector... when you look at speakers using this method the deflector is most times not flat but rather a curved or rounded, cone shape. This of course will deflect sound waves at multiple angles rather than one set angle. Consequently if you use that valance under the shelf idea you might want to get a curved rather than flat valance.

It's always fun to see a home enthusiast explore a "new angle" in theater design. Grin

grim

Collapse -
thanks
by badge671 / November 20, 2005 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: rounded deflector

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to research that option, as well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?