Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Back in 2000, I heard this wonderful, quasi-Spanish/Latin

by Ziks511 / April 16, 2010 8:25 PM PDT

song delivered in a very ironic deadpan way.

I once met a man with a sense of adventure
He was dressed to thrill wherever he went
He said "Let's make love on a mountain top
Under the stars on a big hard rock"
I said "In these shoes?
I don't think so"
I said "Honey, let's do it here."

So I'm sitting at a bar in Guadalajara
In walks a guy with a faraway look in his eyes
He said "I've got as powerful horse outside
Climb on the back, I'll take you for a ride
I know a little place, we can get there for the break of day."
I said "In these shoes?
No way, Jose"
I said "Honey, let's stay right here."

No le gusta caminar. No puede montar a caballo
(She doesn't like to walk, she can't ride a horse)
Como se puede bailar? Es un escandolo
(But the way she dances, it's a scandal)

Then I met an Englishman
"Oh" he said
"Won't you walk up and down my spine,
It makes me feel strangely alive."
I said "In these shoes?
I doubt you'd survive."
I said "Honey, let's do it.
Let's stay right here."

No le gusta caminar. No puede montar a caballo
(She doesn't like to walk, she can't ride a horse)
Como se puede bailar? Es un escandolo
(But the way she dances, it's a scandal)

A week later I heard that the artist had been killed while snorkelling off Cancun, struck by somebody on a Sea-Doo.

Her name was Kirsty MacColl, daughter of Ewan MacColl and Peggy Seeger (yes, those Seegers) She did Christmas in New York City with the Pogues, and a number of Billy Bragg songs like "A New England" and "Greetings to the New Brunette"

If you get a chance to hear "In These Shoes?" have a wonderful laugh, and remember a wonderful woman and mother who died 10 years ago.

If you stumble over Bette Midler's version, run, fingers in your ears saying la-la-la-la-la-la until you can get near a computer where you can hear the real version.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Back in 2000, I heard this wonderful, quasi-Spanish/Latin
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Back in 2000, I heard this wonderful, quasi-Spanish/Latin
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You probably know that Mike Seeger died recently
by Steven Haninger / April 16, 2010 9:13 PM PDT

Mike was quite good with a variety of banjo types and a real good educator on traditional Appalachian type folk. He was also half brother of Pete Seeger who might still be (semi) active.
I did look up the song you mentioned and found it on youtube but, I must be honest, in that I didn't care for it. Just my personal taste.

My wife has a fair collection of Mike Seeger banjo and Seeger family music. Like Jean Ritchie, they aren't great vocalists but wonderful story tellers.

Collapse -
Oh, **** no. He was such a good friend for nearly 30 years.
by Ziks511 / April 18, 2010 3:40 PM PDT

Lost track of him from up here, and lived in fear of hearing the news. I figured he must have gone to the great Holler in the sky. We used to hook up and bad mouth the promoters, and sing inappropriate (funny and dirty) songs under the trees until we had quite an audience and then we'd slope off and start all over again. Big favourite of course was the Wild-wood Weeds where I actually got to sing back up. Also much of the solo album Rural Delivery which was full of fun numbers like "That All Go Hungry Hash House Where I Stay", the one about "The butter had red hair, and the baby had both feet right in the stew".

The glory days of real stars acting like real people, and exchanging funny, dirty, peculiar song. Heard Michael Cooney do an hypnotic 57 verse version of Tam Lin which left us all speechless.

So fare ye weel ye Mike of Seegerdom, Fare ye weel in valley and shaw, theres no a jock'll see the like o ye. Puir bloody folkies are weary. (it should be wearie, but Mike knows that.

Anybody know of anything other than practice that will harden your fingers? Otherwise, a good DVD teaching course on Jazz guitar to get my fingers back into the groove, now that I am close to a final place to live.

Come Cremation time, I guess it's my old Gibson J50 that accompanies me, unless I've gotten it properly restored, in which case it will be a lovely Takamine with some cracks.

Rob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!