TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Back from the dead...again

by jarandall / March 19, 2007 12:32 PM PDT

In '02 I bought a Magnavox HTiB model mrd-200.
For some reason the system will power on and the dvd player will work just fine, but I will get no sound from the attached speakers and the sound outputs will fail to transmit as well. Sometimes it will work and then all of a sudden make a 'boom' sound and I will have no sound. Sometimes it will randomly click back on as well. I have been having this problem for two years. It is out of warranty and i am sure that it is not even worth taking it somewhere to be tested.

The system is down in my basement, which gets slightly cold in the winter months. However I doubt this is a problem in the sense that all of my other electronic equipment is completely functional.

The sound has not worked since early december, until today I turned it on and blocked the vent. 3 hours later, the sound came back on and it is back to its working ways.

I have already bought a much better 6.1 receiver, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what could be causing this problem? I am not sure if blocking the vent helped it come back on or not. Sometimes it comes on when I block the vent and sometimes it does not...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Back from the dead...again
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Back from the dead...again
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like a FIAT I once had...
by analyzerbunny / March 19, 2007 11:48 PM PDT

Not that I know the solution, but I had a FIAT convertable with similar behaviors...if it was dark, the lights might not work, if it was really humid (rainy) the wipers wouldnt work, if it was super cold the heater wouldnt work. Youd be driving down the road and the engine would just shut off. Pull to the side of the road and in 5minutes it would start up as if nothing had happend.

So who knows, electronics are crazy, try just keeping the thing on. Dont switch it off if its working...unless you dont really need it. I have a Sony bookshelf stereo unit in my garage that does similar things, if you unplug it or if the power goes out, it wont come back on, you have to plug, un plug, plug it several times for it to power back up.

Freekin ghost in the machines kinda moment.

8^)

Collapse -
(NT) That fiat may become an antique some day.
by ahtoi / March 20, 2007 1:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
fiat THE MISTERY CAR
by stewart norrie / March 20, 2007 3:01 AM PDT

I installed car stereos in them in the early 70s What a nitemare it was like installing a system in a model T. The darn things even had steel spark plug wires + I had to run power straight to the battery any where else and strange things would happin I mean strange One time I checked fuse box to find switchable 12V hooked up the stereo and when you turned on stereo windshield wipers would go on Mostly young collage girls would buy them so sad steweeee

Collapse -
My take on this...
by ahtoi / March 20, 2007 2:00 AM PDT

Since speakers seldom goes bad, I would just check the wiring and make sure they are secured; and since you already have another receiver..then just hook it up and I bet my money that's your problem. Good luck.

Collapse -
I forgot to mention...
by jarandall / March 20, 2007 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: My take on this...

All the cables/speakers/wiring is all set up correctly. I have checked that a million times with the multimeter and also using the speakers and wires with a stereo system.

In response to the others, the system does not lose power, it stil lights up and the dvd player still works, I just wont get any sound and signals will not transmit...

I don't know, for some reason it is working again so I guess I will just count my blessings.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?