Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

BACK BUTTON INACTIVE IN MS EXPLORER 8 - URGENT FIX NEEDED

by moffettsonja / July 3, 2009 4:30 AM PDT

I have a PowerPoint presentation (show - PPS mode)on a CD that has various links to PDF files on a website. When I click the 1st link in the presentation, the Explorer opens fine displaying the PDF on that website. When I press the back button, it takes me right back into the presentation. Great.

The problem is, when I click on the next link that is also a link to a PDF on that same website, it opens fine BUT the BACK button is now inactive because Explorer automatically opened a new tab for this 2nd PDF link (I would like for the back button to work on all subsequent links no matter what sequence I open them). Note: when I click back on the first tab (originally opened from the first link), the BACK button went from ACTIVE to INACTIVE now. I am not sure why this has happened.

My question is, how can I get the back button to remain ACTIIVE on all links to these online PDFs? so that I can press BACK to go back to the PowerPoint Show?

SYSTEM INFO:
Operating Sys: Windows XP
Browser: Internet Explorer 8
Software: PowerPoint 2007

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BACK BUTTON INACTIVE IN MS EXPLORER 8 - URGENT FIX NEEDED
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BACK BUTTON INACTIVE IN MS EXPLORER 8 - URGENT FIX NEEDED
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What happens if you ...
by Kees Bakker / July 3, 2009 4:45 AM PDT

1. Disable the use of tabs in Tools>Internet Options>General?
2. Copy the pdf's to your local hard disk and open them with Adobe or Foxit reader?
3. Use Firefox or Opera or Chrome in stead of IE8?
4. Don't use the back button but the close button?

That are four things to try. Not impossible one of them is a workable solution. It's not a fix, by the way, just a workaround of something Microsoft designed without asking you.

Kees

Collapse -
Thank you Kees... well
by moffettsonja / July 3, 2009 5:17 AM PDT

Thank you so much for those suggestions. The problem is that I am working with a client who asked me to design this PowerPoint for him. This issue actually was HIS issue. I suggested the CLOSE button as well which takes the user back into the presentation, but he is unhappy with that answer - he said this is a WORK_AROUND solution as opposed to a real solution for my inability to fix the problem. As I figured... you are suggesting that the issue is with the browser and a matter of the individual user's preference.

We are going to press 10,000 CD's and THIS is the ONLY issue we are having with the "interactivity" of my PowerPoint on this master CD - and as I thought... it is NOT something that I can program to make the BACK BUTTON work as he wants.

Any suggestions on selling him on this? Going to MS has been futile. I cannot even figure out if they received my issue... no confirmation was given. What do you think is my best way to proceed without losing my client?

Collapse -
Apparently ...
by Kees Bakker / July 3, 2009 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you Kees... well

Powerpoint on a cd and pdf's on a website don't work well together. Too much variables in browser settings. Just try the effect if you don't have set pdf to open in a browser window but in it's own new Adobe or Foxit window (a quite common setting, although not the default one).

So it's a bad requirement to start with. Time to think it over. Try a fully web-based (Flash?) or fully CD-based solution, not this mix.
Powerpoint, by the way, isn't the best solution either to send around in 10.000 copies. You would have to include Microsofts Powerpoint viewer on the CD, and find a solution for Mac and Linux users. Not nice, not user-friendly.

Clients shouldn't have such strict and impossible requirements on the technical side. That's your area of expertise, not theirs.

Kees

Collapse -
I Agree...
by moffettsonja / July 3, 2009 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Apparently ...

BTW: the original PPS was not on CD - nevertheless the problem persists. I have been looking at other options: Adobe Director, FlashPoint (converter software from PPS to FLASH), doing it in FLASH, converting to AVI, etc.

Again, the feedback is much appreciated. Happy 4th!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?