Question

B350 LCD "No Signal" from PC when connected by VGA

Here goes...I have Windows7 installed on my Toshiba satellite L300D laptop (with ATI Radeon 3100 integrated graphics).
Until recently I could connect my Samsung 32" LCD TV by VGA to the laptop, and use it in PC mode as a second monitor, seamlessly, effectively and without any problems.
However, overnight, the TV stopped receiving the signal from the laptop, and no longer works, I just get the "No Signal" message on the screen.
I have multiple operating systems on the laptop, including Ubuntu and Vista. All of the systems identify the external monitor (although as a 19" rather than as the 32" that it actually is). However the TV will not receive the signal from any of them.
The laptop's own integrated monitor works fine, by the way.

I have tried PowerStrip, in the hope of determining what the problem might be. It reports that the TV's EDID is 1.3 (although I don't really understand what that is!), and that the TV is Samsung, however it reports it as a 16".
The info in the bios shows that the (analogue RGB) external monitor is detected too.
The TV works fine as a PC monitor when connected by VGA to an old laptop with Nvidia, and to a desktop PC with Intel graphics, , and I have tried with 3 different cables.

I feel I have tried everything, and have dedicated hours to this problem already!

I am hoping someone on this forum might be able to offer me some insight... please.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: B350 LCD "No Signal" from PC when connected by VGA
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: B350 LCD "No Signal" from PC when connected by VGA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
B350 LCD "No Signal" from PC when connected by VGA

ampallo,

- Collapse -
Update

Thank you HDTech.

These are the things I have already covered:

A clean install of Windows7.
Set up the tv monitor with the ATI driver provided by Microsoft (MDDN) on first boot. No luck with monitor signal.
Upgraded the driver to the latest driver provided by ATI. Still no luck with signal.
Installed ATI Catalyst Control Center. Also recognises that the monitor is connected, but still no signal.

I have since had the opportunity to try the laptop with 2 other PC monitors, via VGA, and it is the same story... Windows and all the graphics softwares identify the presence of the monitors, allow me to enable and configure them in either Duplicated/clone mode or in extended mode etc. However all monitor screens show the message"No Signal" or "No Video Input". A Philps monitor also showed message "Check Cable Connections", after a while.

So, as I know that the cables are fine, that the monitors work with other PC's, that the drivers are up to date and that the system recognises that external monitors are connected via VGA, the only thing I can think is that the VGA connector port itself is damaged, and failing to send the correct signal to the monitors?

Does that sound feasible?

Thanks once again to anyone who can help me!

- Collapse -
Update

ampallo,

CNET Forums