Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Alert

Avoid "Total Internet Solutions"

by JoeBanks1 / August 4, 2011 6:17 AM PDT

After I signed up and paid for one year, they said I needed to pay more, and that if I didn't, they were "not allowed" to release my domain name to another host for one year. In other words, they register domain names and then take the domain hostage for more $$.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avoid "Total Internet Solutions"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avoid "Total Internet Solutions"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Help for Everyone on this Thread
by graphixgirl99 / September 4, 2013 11:42 AM PDT

I was able to obtain my domain names by contacting the domain name registrar that Total Internet Solutions purchases the domain names from. Total Internet Solutions is not a Domain Name Registrar, rather purchase their domain names from other Registrars and resells them. Total Internet Solutions purchases the domain names in their name instead of the person's name. If you contact the registrar, tell them that Total Internet Solutions purchased your domain names in their name, the registrar can unlock the domain names, give you an authorization code, and then you can transfer the domain names to a real ICANN approved registrar. In my case, Total Internet Solutions purchased from Tucows. I contacted Tucows and explained the issue, and they were able to get everything back for me. Tucows stated that Total Internet Solutions was banned from purchasing from Tucows because of unethical business practices... buying the domain names for the person and putting them in their name. I transferred my domain names to Hover.com, the domain name division of Tucows. You will still have to pay to transfer them, but your domain names will no longer be held hostage. You can find out who Total Internet Solutions purchased your domain name(s) from by going here - http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp and typing in your domain name and click on Search. I hope this is helpful to at least one person. Dealing with this horrific company has cost me a lot of time, money and a complete rebuild of my website. I have since filed a complaint with the BBB, FTC, and the Los Angeles District Attorney's office (LA county is where this company is based out of).

Collapse -
ITS STOLD MY WEBSITE AND REGISTERED IT TO THEMSELVES!
by marilynl1000 / October 27, 2013 12:41 PM PDT

Thank you for the info on how to find out where my domain is. They did the same thing to me! They have registered my domain name to themselves. THEY'VE HELD ME UP FOR $571.96 IN THE LAST YEAR WHEN IT WAS ONLY SUPPOSED TO COST ME $167.40 FOR 3 YEARS!

Are you happy with Hover.com? Any bad experiences?

Collapse -
I sent this letter to enom legal
by ravaninstitute / November 14, 2013 3:30 AM PST

SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE. THIS IS ROBBERY..LET US START A NEW FORUM AND GATHER OUR RESOURCES TOGETHER TO STOP THIS COMPANY!

Good morning ,

I am writing you about an incident that involves your company based on two domain names that I had registered under my name with total internet solutions back in 2012, and I noticed they were recently registered with your company on 11-9-2013 under total internet solutions name.

Last week I had asked total internet solutions to supply me with the auth. codes so that I can transfer my two domain names to a different provider. He refused to do so unless I pay him a "service fee" of $300 and threatend to sell them off. I did not realize he had registered them under his own company with Tucow for the past 3 years and when I inquired from Tucow they told me he had taken them off their service and to your company just last week right after I asked for the transfer.

I am attaching the invoices that show that I purchased them from internet solutions back in 2012 and they were registered to me untill 4-2014.

This compay is practicing unethical business and BBB and FTC and ICANN are aware of this. You can also follow cnet forum for the numerous complaints that have been filed for the same type of unscrupulus practices.

I am asking for your assitance in this matter to help put a stop to what they are doing. I am not in a position to get legal aid or use the mediation services due to the financial situation I am in .

I had registered these names as a way to showcase our offerings to underserved children to help them raise their self confidence and self esteem in their school work. This work is to be done as a not for profit project as a service to the community locally and if successful on a larger basis. This act will not stop us from going forward with this project, yet it is rather disappointing to see something like this happen and be taken advantage of in this manner.

I appreciate any assistance.

The two domain names are selfesteemforkids.org and selfesteemforkids.net

Collapse -
Did the same thing to me...
by marilynl1000 / January 15, 2014 5:47 AM PST

Just before my year was up, TIS claimed my site had been hacked and that I had to pay for a new domain and two more years of service. However, my original deal was that the service was included for the one-time price for 3 years. They not only refused to honor the original deal but held me up for the new domain cost. I paid close to $300 to get my site back up and running and then they did it again 3 months later saying it had been hacked again. This time, however, I demanded a refund of the unused funds for the remaining years left on the contract. They said they would send a check but despite repeated calls (which are answered by the same guy regardless of which department you select), they have never sent a refund.

Moreover when I attempted to move my site, I learned they had registered my site under TIS. This SOB belongs in jail! I don't understand how this flim-flam outfit is getting by with this. I am not in a position to pay $2000 for mediation either and contributing to one mediation is only going to resolve that one company's problem not all of our issues. Again, I don't understand how this company is getting away with it and why the FBI-Internet fraud doesn't get involved.

Collapse -
Fight Back!
by ravaninstitute / November 14, 2013 4:20 AM PST

BBB, FTC, ICANN, DCA will do nothing to take up your complaint. The only way you have is to use the mediation services which will cost you over $2000 or hire an attorney. If we pool our resources together we can beat this guy and put a stop to his unethical practices. So far he is ablove the law!

Collapse -
Anyone Interested in Legal Action Against Them?
by reallyuniqueusername / October 14, 2013 3:01 PM PDT

We are getting ready to go down the same path with this guy. He's a total scam artist and needs to be stopped and put out of business. I found an article where he originally listed his fictitious business name:
http://images.bimedia.net/documents/HIN-061710.pdf (scroll to page 4)

Here is the California Corporation that they operate from:

Entity Name: INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER INCORPORATED
Entity Number: C3204467
Date Filed: 03/23/2009
Jurisdiction: CALIFORNIA
Entity Address: 9107 WILSHIRE BLVD STE 450
Entity City, State, Zip: BEVERLY HILLS CA 90210
Agent for Service of Process: LEGALZOOM.COM, INC.
Agent Address: 100 WEST BROADWAY SUITE 100
Agent City, State, Zip: GLENDALE CA

Who is interested in pursuing legal action against this company? Reply via email and lets get organized.

Collapse -
Legal Action
by graphixgirl99 / October 15, 2013 1:14 AM PDT

I would be very interested. I recently posted a complaint with the Consumer Complaint division at the Los Angeles District Attorney's office and they have since forwarded my complaint to Department of Consumer Affairs. I have not heard back. Anxious to find a resolution.

Collapse -
total internet solution
by ravaninstitute / October 15, 2013 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Legal Action

I have already contacted BBB and consumer affairs all they said they could do is make a note of the complaints. I think its time for a class action suit. This guy seems to be beyond the law, since he has been doing this scam for years.

Collapse -
Another victim of TIS robbery
by mrcatbert / January 15, 2014 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: Legal Action

I paid them $330 on 8/31/2013 for 2 years of platinum hosting. Their mail server was blacklisted, though, so none of my email worked. After numerous complaints I agreed to upgrade to a dedicated server/IP address on 9/25/2013. That was $1200, and they were supposed to refund the original $330. I didn't hear from them for almost 6 weeks, and they never upgraded the account. Finally called them and they said they *just* did it. Email continued to deteriorate until absolutely nothing would go out. I double-checked and found that everything was still on the original IP address they had issued me in October 2011. I called and confronted them with this on 12/12/2013, and the guy I talked to finally agreed to refund the $1200 as well as a pro-rated amount from the original $330 which they STILL had not refunded after over 3 months. I gave them 30 days to process the refund. It is now the middle of January and they haven't refunded anything. I filed a dispute with my credit card issuer today since the company did not provide the agreed services in a timely manner.

Collapse -
You will never see the money
by marilynl1000 / January 15, 2014 5:59 AM PST

They did something similar to me...only took my site down saying it had been hacked. They had just collected $273 to get me a new domain because they claimed the first had been hacked. The funds were supposed to cover the cost of the new domain and an additional 2 years of their server coverage. However, I signed up for the platinum service and paid for the server which was supposed to be for 3 years. They refused to honor their first contract and said they wouldn't repost my site unless I paid so I did. Within 3 months, they came back to me again saying it had been hacked again and wanted more money. I refused saying I was going to take my site elsewhere. That's when I found out they had registered my site to their company and not to me.

I just looked up FBI, internet fraud and there is a website where we can get the FBI involved. Here's the location...It is sponsored by the FBI and the White Collar Crime Division. I think it's worth a try.

http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Collapse -
Total internet solution victims
by ravaninstitute / January 16, 2014 10:15 AM PST

So I see TIS has struck again.
Venting like this will get you nowhere. Either we get together and file a formal complaint through hiring an attorney for a class action suit or we can just ***** about it to no end. I can't go at it alone nor can any one of us. And this guy just laughs at our powerlessness!

Collapse -
filed another complaint
by ravaninstitute / January 16, 2014 10:35 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.