Samsung forum

General discussion

Avoid Samsung LCD Televisions Like Shellfish

by TechGuy840 / March 31, 2010 5:51 AM PDT

I had the misfortune of purchasing an LN26A450 from a reputable retailer mid-fall of 2008. For those of you who are unaware, this is a 26" 720p LCD Samsung television. Not even a week after this purchase, the screen developed the dreaded vertical line banding we all fear may result on a new LCD. Giving Samsung the benefit of the doubt, my fiance and I packed up our television and shipped it off to CVE, Inc. when prompted to do so by Samsung's support staff - Might I add, this is your only choice of repair venue if you live in the northeast. Well after two and a half weeks we got our TV back fixed but with unsightly scratches all over the nice glossy black bezel around the front of the unit. After writing to Samsung and speaking with their customer support staff yet again, the only recourse was to send it back to CVE, Inc. So let's weigh our options: be without the unit for nearly another month, or deal with the scratches imparted by CVE, Inc? Well we chose to forgo the inconvenience and cope.

I really wish this was the end of the story here, but about three weeks ago, our remote completely stopped responding. Instead, we had to power on our TV and change inputs by using the interface on the side of the television. After speaking with customer service and determining that the unit was in fact defective (unresponsive to remote and TV resets), we had the option of dealing with it or sending it in for a repair. Keep in mind that this problem surfaced only a couple of months after the warranty expired (Can you say planned obsolescence?!).

After deciding to deal with the remote issue, especially since paying out of pocket for this repair would likely be as expensive as purchasing a new TV, I awoke this morning to discover that the TV randomly changes its source all on its own. Now I am forced to purchase a new television as there is zero hope for this one.

I know that there are the odd number of defective products that arise in a series. I am, however, entirely put off by Samsung's lack of effective repair service coupled with the curiously timely unit failure after warranty expiration. WHAT is that all about? Could be bad luck I suppose, but there are many others with similar stories regarding Samsung TVs. Google it, and see for yourself.

I know this: I will not be purchasing a Samsung television again, and I urge those who are in the market (hopefully not forced into that situation as I was) to seriously do your homework before leaping at a seemingly "good deal." And, if you have had bad experiences please share them; it seems to be our only recourse for holding inept companies accountable for their products.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avoid Samsung LCD Televisions Like Shellfish
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avoid Samsung LCD Televisions Like Shellfish
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.