HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Avira AntiVirus Personal-Free, need help please

by TottoTotto / June 22, 2010 10:36 PM PDT

Hi
Question #1 - I have had this on my pc since March 2010 and cannot seem to update it either automatically (it always fails) or when I try to do it manually I get this error message:
The VDF update kit is corrupted. The file will not be installed..
Search engine: V8.02.01.210, 3/31/2010
Virus definition file: V7.10.06.25, 4/5/2010
This means I have not been able to update my Avira since May 2010. Any suggestions? Is there a better antivirus progam that is free and dependable?

Question #2 - Is it better to 'Quarantine' or to 'Delete' any found Trojans or any other bad stuff found by Avira?

Thanks for any help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avira AntiVirus Personal-Free, need help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avira AntiVirus Personal-Free, need help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
blocking?
by Bob__B / June 23, 2010 12:19 AM PDT

#1....You might want to look into your anti-stuff that you have running.
Just to see if your blocking the avira update.

#2...Just an opinion....use quarantine....if it turns out to be a false positive it might be easier to restore.

An option.
Uninstall avira.
Use the avira cleanup tool.
Install avira.

When I tested avira I found the update feature to be iffy.

I moved to avast....seems to work well.

Collapse -
Avira
by manmur / June 23, 2010 2:40 AM PDT

TottoTotto,

Are there any other real time security scanners on you PC?
Did your PC come with an other Trial based Security Suite?

Did you try to download the update from their site?

Here is the link to do so.

http://www.avira.com/en/support/vdf_update.html

If it fails, the only option is to do a complete uninstall of Avira. Make sure that you use the removal tool to make sure Avira is uninstall all the way.

Here is the link for the removal tool suggested by Bob.

http://www.free-av.com/en/download/3/avira_removal_tool.html

After uninstalling you can reinstall Avira again. However I will not be surprised if you do not.

Here are some other anti-virus I recommend ( all free):

Microsoft Security Essentials

Avast free Anti-virus

AVG

As for your other Question. In my option it is better to first Quarantine. Then go on line to check to see if it was a false positive. That way if it is a false positive you are able to restore that file back.

manmur

Collapse -
If You're Not Using the Current Avira Version...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 23, 2010 2:41 AM PDT

Please download and use the newest Avira 10.0.0.567 version, uninstall the old version 9, use the registry cleaning tool to clean out all remnants from the old version, then reinstall the new version. (The older version is only supported through July anyway.) See the link below for the full manual uninstall procedures which include a link to the registry cleaner.

http://www.avira.com/en/support/kbdetails.php?id=135

And you can download the newest version from the link below:

http://www.free-av.de/en/trialpay_download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

And in regards to updating, please be advised that Avira has a few problems with their services.. Ideal times to update are when most of the world is asleep.. I have no problems when I update the machine at 7:00 - 8:00 P.M. PST here on the west coast.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.