Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Avira AntiVir Personal

by Mailman / August 21, 2009 2:20 AM PDT

Does the Free Avira AntiVir Personal scan incoming email? I can't seem to find this out anywhere?

Thanks,

~Dave

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avira AntiVir Personal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avira AntiVir Personal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Avira AntiVir Personal.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 21, 2009 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Avira AntiVir Personal

No, Avira doesn't scan incoming and outgoing mail.

Collapse -
Thanks very much.
by Mailman / August 21, 2009 4:16 AM PDT

I was afraid of that. Thought this program was too good to be true. Now I know.

~Dave

Collapse -
As Aside: Their Pay Version Does!
by tobeach / August 21, 2009 3:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks very much.

Some have argued that since it scans all read & write
operations, including w/heuristic scanning, it would catch & stop an attack upon it's attempt to activate. Avira does test score exceptionally high, especially for freeware versions.

I admit I like the idea of mail scan both in & out & certifying outgoing to provide comfort to the recipient.
I admit I AM using it and, so far, it's been excellent
(best as I, a normal user can tell with no successful intrusions). Can't say the same for my AVG experiences.
Grin

Collapse -
Interesting.
by Mailman / August 21, 2009 8:40 PM PDT

So, maybe we don't really need an email scanner. But then, why do they include it in their pay version? The other free anti-virus programs I've tried include it in their free versions. Strange...

However, I know that with AVG, if I have the email scanner activated, I can't send any email. Or at least it takes so long, that I've never waited. Once I de-activate it, I can send really fast.

I finally went to Avast. This email scanner does not affect the speed of email transmission at all. No ideal how well it works. I've never knowingly had a virus, but then, maybe I've just never received one....yet.

Thanks very much,

~Dave

Collapse -
Email scanners.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 21, 2009 9:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Interesting.

You raise some interesting points.

With AVG, if you were using a 3rd party email client other than Outlook, eg Thunderbird, you used to have to configure AVG's email settings so that email would be downloaded to a localhost, then scanned before AVG released the email to your email client software. The same with outgoing emails. But that changed with AVG8 and it became automatic, (generally), but the options to configure the email settings in AVG still remained. Perhaps your experience with AVG's email scanning was because it still needed configuring.

You say that maybe we don't really need email scanning. I think you could 'get away' with not having it, but you would need to be particularly careful with your emails. For example;

1] Don't trust any attachments, not even from trusted sources like relatives and friends. They may be trustworthy, but their knowledge of their computer systems may not be, and those computers could be infected. Save email attachments to a temporary area, (the Desktop is a good temporary location), and then scan the attachment with your anti-virus scanner.

I would do this even if the anti-virus scanner scans incoming and outgoing emails.

2] Never open emails from senders you do not recognise. If you don't recognise the sender, they have no business sending you emails. I would set up a message rule that junks or deletes all emails from senders who do not appear in my contacts list.

Spammers can create emails that will send a message back to them if the email is opened. That tells the spammer your email address is active.

3] Preview Pane. Most email clients allow a preview of an email which is highlighted in the list of emails received in the Inbox. The Preview Pane opens the email just the same as if you double clicked the email itself to open it. So, do not preview emails from senders you do not recognise.

The difficulty with this is, the Preview Pane is useful, and as you work down the list in the Inbox, each email is previewed. If you delete or move an email above a suspect email, that suspect email will then be highlighted, and so previewed. Also, to delete a suspect email, you have to highlight it, and that will open it. So, be watchful, and if you are approaching a suspect email, turn off the Preview Pane first, (View > Layout > Preview Pane).

4] I always check my email client's options when first setting it up to ensure that my "Deleted items" folder, sometimes called Trash, is emptied when I close down the email application.

5] I also check the options to make sure any incoming emails are "Deleted from the server" once received. Useful for me since I only need to see them once, but for roaming users who may also need to check their emails whilst travelling, eg via web mail, this can cause difficulties.

6] Avoid "Nigerian" emails. I use that term to include a whole range of 'scammers' who seek your help to release funds from a deceased relative, (or similar), and promise to reward you. That reward will be stealing your money.

7] Never, EVER, respond to emails supposedly from banks, credit card agencies, or other financial bodies, that ask you to click their link to log-on and verify your details. Banks and other bodies will never do that, and those emails are phishing emails, trying to steal your login details. Banks and others may send you promotional emails, but they will never ask for any verification.

Cool Be wary about posting your email address in any forum posts, blogs, or other commentary sites. Robots trawl such sites looking for spamming opportunities.

Mark

Collapse -
Wow!
by Mailman / August 21, 2009 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Email scanners.

Is it any safer to not use email clients, and only check email on the ISP server, such as Comcast's SmartZone? Or is the result of opening a suspect email there the same as opening it on your computer

Is an email scanner useful when using the ISP email server, or is this exempt from the scanner?

~Dave

Collapse -
Same applies I'm afraid.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Wow!

They are general rules. Perhaps 'rules' is too official, and guidelines would be better, but they apply however you see your emails.

I don't know Comcast's SmartZone. I've just been to their web site to have a look, and what I see is a way to manage emails and voicemail from their web site. It looks fine, and they say they have improved spam controls and other features. Most ISP's now control spam pretty well. I suspect that we do not get to see 99.9% of the spam that is sent to us as the ISP blocks most of it, and I am grateful for that.

When I talk abut email clients, I mean the email software that we use, eg Outlook Express, Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora, etc, the software installed on our computers. They can be set up to manage any sort of email accounts, except, perhaps, some web mail accounts, gmail, yahoomail, etc. I am not sure if the email software can be set up for those types of email accounts.

But ISP email accounts can be managed either from email client software, or from the ISP's web site, and so the same considerations I suggested above apply, whichever way you manage your emails. For example, Nigerian emails may still get through, they may just not come from Nigeria any more. So you still need to be aware.

Generally, be careful with your emails. Don't go blindly opening each one just because the subject line might say, "Hey, haven't heard from you in a while", or "20,000 USD is yours, just for responding". That first may be from someone who has 'never' heard from you, and the second is a scam.

Is an email scanner useful when using ISP email server? All of your emails from your ISP email account is from the ISP server, so the question doesn't really apply. Email scanners are useful still. They are a first line of defence for obvious malware attacks, and a manual scan of any email attachments are your last line of defence against the same.

It may be the case that malware attacks via email are decreasing, at least in Western countries where ISP's are actively engaged in protecting us. But I don't know, so nevertheless, I still keep my guard up.

Mark

Collapse -
Thank You For Posting Your
by tobeach / August 22, 2009 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Email scanners.

"Best Practices" for E-Mail suggestions, Mark!!! They're basically what I do also (except if I get an unexpected
E-Mail from a Known Contact or Friend, I also 1st contact them by telephone to ask IF they sent the post & did they attach anything. There's always the chance that they have unknowingly acquired an E-Mail worm that's doing the sending.

What's really bothering me these days is how these mail providers are posting live links into each persons posts (at the bottom usually), selection of these inclusions is a mystery to me other than they're the ones willing to pay the most to, in effect, by pass all spam preventer's & I don't think they really take much care who they sell the bypass to. Arrgggg! Sad Thanks again for your efforts! Sandy Grin

Collapse -
Ever heard of MailWasher?
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 22, 2009 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting.

Dave,

Introducing MailWasher, the leader in spam filter software, and the easiest way to check and manage your e-mails before you download them.

MailWasher is free to use and won't ever expire. It works with Outlook, Outlook Express, Incredimail, Thunderbird, Windows Mail, GMail, Hotmail and every other email program.

More and download here:

http://www.mailwasher.net/

I am using it for many years and I am still happy with it Wink

Collapse -
cant believe AVG is hailed
by cybergully / August 23, 2009 10:43 PM PDT

Its basically no good, takes hours on ends scanning and doesnt even get rid of anything (i might be biased from personal experience)

Collapse -
Thanks everyone.
by Mailman / August 22, 2009 10:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Avira AntiVir Personal

I appreciate all the advise and the mailwasher site.

~Dave

Collapse -
One side of the argument..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks everyone.
Collapse -
Thanks, Carol~
by Mailman / August 23, 2009 7:57 AM PDT

Since this advocates turning off email scanning, then what is your opinion of a program like MailWasher as suggested above?

~Dave

Collapse -
You're welcome, ~Dave.
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Carol~

I don't use MailWasher, but I know a lot of people who do, and are quite pleased with it. I've seen at some of the security forums, where it's been suggested to turn off email scanning. Generally speaking, it's usually been when some of the larger "suites" are involved. And also when there's been cause to. You'll find differing opinions, depending upon the specific situation.

I hesitate making a blanket statement. If one were to follow Mark's advice to the letter, in his post titled, "Email Scanners", I probably wouldn't hesitate. Especially so, if there were compatibility issues involved, where disabling it might be the better way to go. Everyone's computing habits (in regard to safety) are different, as are how their systems are configured. What's good for one person, might not be good for another.

I think it would be irresponsible of me to say, "Sure! Go ahead". (Those very same people, might come back to this forum, with a post such as, "Help! I got an email virus"! Devil )

Carol

Collapse -
So then.....
by Mailman / August 23, 2009 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: You're welcome, ~Dave.

.....using Free Avira AntiVir Personal which does not scan email might be the way to go after all.

~Dave

Collapse -
Is that a question? Statement? Or neither? :)
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: So then.....

Since I couldn't have been more "noncommittal", I'm presuming it's a recently arrived at decision. If that is the case, I implore you to be please be cautious, with how you handle your emails. If you don't have any form of spam filtering, I would further suggest installing MailWasher, as Marianna already suggested. Plus, you can't beat the price! Wink

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Don't worry.
by Mailman / August 23, 2009 11:50 AM PDT

I won't hold you responsible for whatever I decide to do. LOL! It just seems that we feel that it's unwise to have an email scanner, and also unwise not to have one. Therefore I am still in the same place I was originally. Not knowing for sure.

I am experimenting with MailWasher. Have to be careful with this thing, though. I have my ISP email server set to never delete email. I also have Firefox set to not delete email from the server after downloading. But, if I delete an email with MailWasher, it is gone from both places. I decided to leave a copy of email on the server because, sometimes I delete something, and then wish I had it back. So, with MailWasher, I really have to be careful before deleting, and not to empty the trash. But I find myself kind of liking this program. So much so that I'm running the Pro version in order to get the 'bells and whistles' like bouncing.

~Dave

Collapse -
No lawsuits pending? Glad to hear! :)
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't worry.

~Dave..

My guess is you have a little 'packrat in you', as I do. If not, be thankful. I used to keep a copy on the server's side, until they all came flooding back to me one day. They no longer seemed, important after that day. Another story, for another time.

And btw. And also between the two of us ( Silly ) , I disabled email scanning a long time ago. With that said, I take for granted everything is a potential virus, until I can prove otherwise. When in doubt.. I hit delete! I've never had a problem.

Glad to hear you're headed toward resolving the issue/s..
Carol

Collapse -
Between the two of us?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 7:28 PM PDT

Sure!

I didn't see nuthin! Devil

Mark

Collapse -
Speaking of *sure*..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 8:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Between the two of us?

<b style="font-weight:normal; color:purple">'I didn't see nuthin! '</b> Devil

Are you absolutely sure, you didn't mean "nuttin'"? I realize it's not polite to make these sort of corrections (especially in public), but knowing what a stickler you are for detail, I thought I might point it out. I hope you don't mind.

No thanks necessary. Wink

Carol

Collapse -
Touch
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 8:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Speaking of *sure*..

Ouch.

I give up, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Those English-speaking people ...
by Kees Bakker / August 24, 2009 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Touch

(like you and Carol) shouldn't try to write French. The accent is the other way around. It's touch

Collapse -
Ouch, again!!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 24, 2009 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Touch

LOL

Mark

Collapse -
I needed a dictionary here.
by Kees Bakker / August 23, 2009 8:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Speaking of *sure*..
Collapse -
LOL
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 9:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) As Mark succinctly put it, Kees. Tushi
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 10:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
Statement? Or neither? :)
by Ray_moe / August 23, 2009 12:13 PM PDT

Hurricane Bill sure did bring out the cats.

Collapse -
Phil has returned! :)
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 12:26 PM PDT

Contrary to what "they" predicted, Bill never did make it this way. I have no excuse. Devil

Nice "seeing you", Ray!

Collapse -
You guys are fun.....
by Mailman / August 23, 2009 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Phil has returned! :)

.....and informative. Thanks again to all who replied.

~Dave

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.