Computer Help forum

General discussion

AVI's, WMV's, & MPG's won't work with upgaded graphics card

by Bilbo57 / February 15, 2007 10:57 AM PST

I recently swapped out the video card on my Sony Vaio PCV-RZ54G Desktop computer in getting ready for Vista. The original card I removed was an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200. I upgraded to a PNY Verto Nvidia 6800 GT. Everything went smoothly and the new card seemed to be passing all tests until I tried to view some video clips. AVI's, WMV's, and MPG's run but you cannot see the video although you can hear the sound. DVR-MS files run perfectly displaying the video and you can hear the sound. Any ideas on how I can get the 6800 GT card to display the AVI's, WMV's, and MPG's will be greatly appreciated. I'm totally perplexed since they all run properly if I switch back to my old FX 5200 card.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVI's, WMV's, & MPG's won't work with upgaded graphics card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVI's, WMV's, & MPG's won't work with upgaded graphics card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you upgrade the drivers?
by steve749 / February 15, 2007 11:23 AM PST

That'd be my guess as it may be that the code for handling those encodings are different between the cards and so it shouldn't try to run the 6800 card like a 5200.

Collapse -
Reply to Did you upgrade the drivers?
by Bilbo57 / February 16, 2007 12:01 AM PST

Thanks for the feedback, however... Actually, I've tried 3 sets of drivers from Nvidia. I've tried the original ones supplied on the CD, the newest drivers fron the Nvidia site (93.71), and a set of earlier beta drivers (91.33) from the GeForce site. They all produce identical results. AVI's, WMV's, and MPG's all run but you can't see the video, you only hear the audio. What is especially perplexing is that DVR-MS files play as they should. It is my understanding that DVR-MS files are similar to MPG's.

Collapse -
Reply to Did you upgrade the drivers?
by Bilbo57 / February 16, 2007 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: Here, give this a try.

Thanks for the tip. I'll take it for a spin, we never have enough tools the do the same thing do we. However, even if it does work it will not resolve my problem. The AVI's, MPG's, and WMV's do not show in any tool I have that should be able to display them including Windown Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere, Windows Media Player, Real Player, Nero, Windows Media Center, and a whole raft of others. Very perplexing!!

Collapse -
I gave it a try
by Bilbo57 / February 16, 2007 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: Here, give this a try.

I tried you suggestion immediately after responding to your post. The results were worse. This tool doesn't even play DVR-MS files but thanks anyway, it may prove to be useful someday ddown the road.

Collapse -
Did you plug the power into the card and...
by Edward ODaniel / February 16, 2007 9:49 AM PST

do you have enough power available to it?

A Minimum of 250 watts is recommended for the FX 5200, but a minimum of 350 watts is recommended for the 6800 GT and the 6600 GT.

Verify you have all the latest update files (service releases, patches) from Microsoft for your operating system including, Internet Explorer, DirectX, Critical files and Security files. The latest service releases and patches can be obtained by clicking here:

Collapse -
Did you plug the power into the card...
by Bilbo57 / February 16, 2007 11:43 AM PST

Thanks for the input Ed. Yes I did all that you've suggested. Also I am quite diligent in keeping up with all of Microsoft's patches. I also keep all my drivers up-to-date wherever possible. I've also triple checked every step that I've taken. I'm beginning to wonder if it's more of a hardware problem or some incompatibility with Sony's RealTime MPEG encoder board or something of that nature. I've been bouncing messages back and forth with Nvidia support as well as here and another help forum. If a solution is found I'll certainly post it everywhere to help others that may run into the same situation.

Collapse -
Same problem
by orkaboy / February 28, 2007 5:37 PM PST

I've just upgraded my video card and run across the exact same problem. I previously owned a Nvidia 6800 GT, and now I have switched to a Nvidia 7600 GS. Problem exactly the same as you describe. I've tried all the new drivers I can find, but to no avail. Let me know if you find a solution please.

Collapse -
me too!
by djwinston / March 4, 2007 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem

orkaboy, I have the same problem with my 7600 GS 256 MB AGP. I believe it was manufactured by XFX based on the serial number I found and the Google search results. It seems to have the biggest problem with .avi files as most mpeg files seem to work. When using Media Player Classic 6.4.9 to play .avi, if you move or continuously resize the window while the .avi is playing you see the image, but when you stop it just goes back to the black screen. The other strange thing is when playing avi's in Windows Media Player 9, the screen is black unless you have a menu item open -- i.e., if you mouse click on one of the menu items, say "File", the video sometimes plays, but the colors are screwy. Have you experienced that?

Collapse -
No... but I do have a solution
by orkaboy / March 6, 2007 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: me too!

Can't say I've had that problem. I've concluded that there is no error in the card itself however, rather that there were some weird screwup with the drivers when I switched cards. I reinstalled a clean Windows XP, and movies suddenly work again. Too bad I really don't have time for a complete overhaul at the moment...

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?