AVG6 removal not complete

by Ron Reisener / November 20, 2004 4:19 AM PST

Acer F1, Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz
Windows XP Home Edition SP2
512 mb memory
Intel V92 External Modem
Dial-up internet connection
Zone Alarm Firewall with Antivirus

I recently removed AVG6 free edition from my system and replaced it with Zone Alarm antivirus. However my event viewer shows that my system is still trying to load the AVG kernal and the AVG resident driver on bootup and reports two errors, stating that it cannot find the paths specified. The event ID is 7000.
I disabled the AVG Service and thought that this would solve the problem but it had no effect.
I imagine that there must be traces of AVG6 left in my registry and would like some advice on how to clear them out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG6 removal not complete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG6 removal not complete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: AVG6 removal not complete
by shinycars / November 20, 2004 4:36 AM PST

I use RegCleaner 4.3. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html
Its the earlier version of RegCleaner by Jouni Vourio (sp?), now he has all $ programs. It has a section for uninstalling old software programs left behind, and also the Reg Cleaner to remove unneeded reg entries. Its always done a good job for me. Just be SURE you know what you're removing before doing so, no "automatic cleaning". RC will show its recommendations, then you can check off and delete the items you wish.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 20, 2004 4:47 AM PST

It's weird how AVG 6 would not uninstall. I've uninstalled it a couple of times then re-installed later, and have had no problems.

How did you uninstall it? Through Add/Remove Programs, or through AVG's uninstall utility, or some other way?

I found this in another tech forum. It may or may not help;

"How did you remove AVG6?

I used AVG6 for many months and thought all was okay. I started having problems with the computer and ran it through about 5 times. Someone suggested I try AVAST and I tried to uninstall AVG6 but it wouldn't go. I went into cmd mode and finally after changing the avgserver.exe file to avgserver.ex_ I was able to delete it."

Mark

Collapse -
by Ron Reisener / November 20, 2004 5:02 AM PST

Thanks to both of you - will check out your suggestions and let you know how I go

Collapse -
by Ron Reisener / November 23, 2004 1:54 AM PST

No joy so far. I uninstalled AVG6 using the Add/Remove facility and a search of my folders for avgserv.exe came up negative but the AVG6 service still exists in my list of services. Is there a way to delete this service altogether?

Collapse -
by glenn30 / November 23, 2004 2:14 AM PST

Ron, this may not be the best solution and definately is not for the faint of heart... I modify the registry and delete all references under software in two places to "Grisoft or AVG". This generally does the trick!

Do not recommend this to inexperienced users and strongly recommend a backup of the registry before making any changes.

Best of luck! Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) P.S - Do this final cleanup after uninstall AVG 6
by glenn30 / November 23, 2004 2:19 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: (NT) P.S - Do this final cleanup after uninstall AVG 6
by Ron Reisener / November 24, 2004 1:52 AM PST

Thanks Glenn but I don't think my heart is strong enough. I did a search of the registry for 'grisoft' and 'avg6' and there were quite a few hits but I do not feel confident enough to hit the delete button. Will leave things as they are for the time being as the anomoly is not causing any problems.
Thanks all for your help.

Collapse -
Ron...
by glenn30 / November 24, 2004 2:57 AM PST

Like you at one time I was intimidated with the registry... still am to a degree. I don't blame you if it makes you uncomfortable in any way. That is when mistakes occur. Wish I could walk you through it as this procedure has saved me lots of grief in the past.

If you are located where it is celebrated, have a great Thanksgiving Day tomorrow!

Glenn

Collapse -
Re: Ron...
by Ron Reisener / November 28, 2004 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: Ron...

Finally got the nerve to use regedit to remove all traces of AVG6 and Grisoft from the registry and then ran the sc delete command to remove the service from the list of services. It was great to see the event viewer no longer showed the AVG6 service trying to start. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
You are welcome, Ron...
by glenn30 / November 28, 2004 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Ron...

Sometimes just getting up the nerve is the hard part. I have used that procedure many times and solved many quirky problems. Just one precaution and that is to always make a backup before making registry changes. You can do that from the "Registry Editor" File Menu.

What you have done is about as far as my comfort level will permit in deleting/adjusting the registry. Am glad it worked for you... thanks for posting back.

Glenn

Collapse -
Re: AVG6 removal// As noted in Markflax post...
by tobeach / November 23, 2004 3:47 PM PST

the problem may well be that the AVG resident scanner is always operating in background (MRU) and can't be deleted while any part is functioning. Perhaps using Task Mgr (C+A+Delete) to stop all instances might help. I guess renaming the file might have the same effect. I'm not sure if quarantine file is also removed. Bon Chance! Happy

Collapse -
by John Robie / November 24, 2004 7:02 AM PST

Hi Ron,

Just wanted to mention how I went through deleting AVG6.

On one of my computers (Win98se desktop) I had the latest free AVG7 installed over the free AVG6. Wanting to test the free Avast AntiVirus program, I went to 'Programs' for the uninstall of AVG7, and also to the Control Panal Add/Remove. Ok, AVG7 was uninstalled, but too my surprise noticed in Programs that AVG6 was still being shown. Went through all the exercise of uninstal and Add/Remove but it would not delete. Went to RegCleaner (very good at removing stuff left over..safely) still AVG6 was shown in 'Programs'. So, what I do in cases like this is go to Start>Find/Search>files and type in AVG. Everything listed under AVG (careful as AVG or AV can mean other than anti-virus & not seleting those) I deleted by highlighting, right clicking, selecting delete. Checking "Programs" AVG6 was gone.

Have not had any problems so far. Course I have 'GoBack' but didn't have to use it or to reinstall anything from the recycle bin.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.