Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

AVG vs Microsoft Security??

by Lantern3 / February 20, 2015 9:26 AM PST

I downloaded the free AVG scan which has improved my computer performance greatly and fixed lots of stuff. However since downloading it, each time I switch my computer off the real time protection on Microsoft essentials gets turned off! Is this caused by having two antivirus programmes? I don't want to stop using Microsoft essentials so if AVG is switching it off then do I need to disable or uninstall AVG?

Lantern3 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG vs Microsoft Security??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG vs Microsoft Security??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Lantern3

Collapse -
cannot have two antiviruses
by renegade600 / February 20, 2015 9:59 AM PST

you should only have one antivirus installed at a time. If you want real time protection from mse, you need to uninstall avg or manually restart mse everytime you turn the computer on - it may not always restart with avg installed.

Collapse -
Which anti virus can you recommend Windows?
by kim112200 / February 22, 2015 5:27 PM PST

Hi! Which anti virus can you recommend Windows?

Collapse -
Re: best antivirus
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 22, 2015 5:50 PM PST
Collapse -
what I use is...
by renegade600 / February 22, 2015 7:30 PM PST

I use microsoft security essentials and a companion utility which is malwarebytes. Never had a problem. I personally disregard any and all review sites since not one will agree with the others as too which is the best. and not one of them is real world testing, in spite of what they claim.

My suggestion would be to try the different ones and see which one you like. Most of the free ones are pretty good. see the following for more info about the different utilities you can use and what you need to protect your computer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f112/pc-safety-and-security-what-do-i-need-525915.html

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 9:55 AM PST

We usually choose one security system.
Bob

Collapse -
Verdict?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds right.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.