Avast & AVG forum

General discussion

AVG Update today, comp won't boot

ASUS Computer
Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33GHz
Speed: 2.333 MHz

AVG automatically installed an update today and prompted me to reboot. Now, my computer will not boot at all. None of the safe modes will boot. I can get to the set up screen, I can restore my system but that will result in the loss of many files. When I view it as it's trying to boot, it gets stuck on a file (driver) ending in "AVGIDSEH.sys". Then, it shuts down and tries rebooting all over again. Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG Update today, comp won't boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG Update today, comp won't boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bad Update Removed

In reply to: AVG Update today, comp won't boot

I understand that the faulty update has been removed.

Collapse -
same problem

Weird, I have the same computer specs, and had the exact same problem..

ASUS Computer
Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.4ghz

Collapse -
Same Problem

I also have an ASUS computer witch did a AVG update tonight, and now my computer will not boot in any mode including safemode. I have attempted to run run windows startup repair, to no avail. The computer is freezing on a file called AVGIDSEH.SYS.

Collapse -
Re: AVG update

In reply to: Same Problem

Hello all,

please check this thread at AVG Free Forums, which is very probably related with described situation. You can find there also steps, how to disable AVG from computer startup without system restore (How-To).

Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences caused by this situation.

Thank you

Collapse -
AVG has no QA and obviously doesn't conduct tests

In reply to: Re: AVG update

Your answer is to force users to create their own rescue CD?
Welcome to a class action lawsuit.

Collapse -
Still dead...

I followed the Rescue disc instructions to the letter.
I found every AVG* and avg* file and renamed them.
My computer STILL won't boot.

Collapse -
re: still dead

In reply to: Still dead...

Collapse -
Did not work

In reply to: re: still dead

Those instructions didn't work either.

Collapse -
Re: Did not work

In reply to: Did not work

Hello tmarcelo,

if you have followed our FAQ and How-to article properly, there should not be any AVG process involved in Windows startup procedure.

One last step could be renaming whole AVG program folder (C:\Program files (x86)\AVG) to another name.

What is the exact error message, what is showed during computer startup?

Thank you

Collapse -
Renamed folder; working now

In reply to: Re: Did not work

I have since renamed the AVG folder and I can now start my computer.
Note, when I rebooted after renaming the folder, I got the same black screen and "windows cannot start" error message with an option to repair or an option to restart windows normally. I selected restart Windows normally and I'm back up and running.
(I mention this just in case someone else needs the tip of selecting restart Windows normally--because if you don't do that, you'll think you still have the same error.)

Collapse -
Re: renamed folder

In reply to: Renamed folder; working now

Hello tmarcelo,

it is possible that some requested AVG binaries have not been renamed properly (avgrx*.exe and avgchsv*.exe).

The Windows error screen is always related with previous startup attempt (not in-time-check), the normal startup procedure is fine. Even if you have chosen other one, the system will be started properly (if previous procedure was followed properly) and screen not showed with next computer restart (startup).

Thank you

Collapse -
Alternate to their recovery CD

I was able to fix this problem without downloading and using their recovery CD - here are the steps I took if you're familiar with the command line:
- Hit F8 during startup and started System Recovery Mode (I think that's what it was called - first option)
- Chose Command Prompt
- Navigated to my Program Files (x86) directory (which surprisingly wasn't on C: but on EHappy
- Went into the avg/avg10 folder
- rename avgrsa.exe avgrsa.bak
- rename avgchsva.exe avgchsva.bak

Voila! Windows started up fine in normal mode after that. Now to uninstall AVG.

Collapse -
more assistance please...

In reply to: Alternate to their recovery CD

I'm really computer illiterate. But thank God I have Avast on my laptop!

Okay, I followed your instructions to the command prompt. Now how do I "navigate to" my program files? When I chose Command Prompt a black window opened with this line: X:\WINDOWS\System32>

So now what do I do? Help!

Thanks,
Kisha

Collapse -
A little more help pleade

In reply to: Alternate to their recovery CD

I can get to command prompt, but I'm lost from there. Can you please post step-by-step directions on how to rename within command prompt. I did the same avg update on my vaio laptop. Thanks!

Collapse -
command prompt

In reply to: A little more help pleade

you have to get into the avg directory - usually on c: in program files - so if you were in x:\windows\system32 simply type "c:" (without the "" so just c:)that takes you to c drive - from there type "cd:\ program files\avg\avg10" (again don't type the "" marks...) now you have to use the ren command (rename) so type ren avgrsa.exe avgrsa.bak and do the same with ren avgchsva.exe avgchsva.bak - strange i didn't find avgrsa.exe in the directory but did find avgrsx.exe ** I did however manage to boot into safe mode (eventually) without doing the above by simply starting safe mode and when it hangs I pressed the Ctrl,Alt & Del keys together - screen went black but after a few moments safe mode continued to boot up fully
If you want to search a directory simply type "dir /p" - the /p pauses the screen when a directory has many listings or you can use /w - this lists items across the screen

Collapse -
maybe this can help

In reply to: A little more help pleade

I needed help too and since it didn't look like a reply was coming any time soon I tried something different. Somewhere in the process of getting to Command Prompt you should see a System Restore option. I chose that and my computer was restored back to how it was on Nov. 28 (don't know why that date, but I saw someone else said the same thing). Anyway, I was booted and ready to go after that! I heard some say that when they did this, since they had their AVG updates set to automatically update they had to maneuver quickly to the AVG thingy and disable the "automatic" part of it. I'm pretty sure mine was turned off because I've had issues with automatic updates before. 'Course, it didn't help us this time since we actually clicked for the update to begin. But, like I said, I was able to get on and then I went to my control panel and uninstalled AVG. That meant a restart. And, yay!, it restarted properly! I then installed the free Avast, which cnet rates really high, even higher than AVG I want to say.

I hope this is helpful to you. Happy

Collapse -
Re: more help

In reply to: maybe this can help

Hello all,

You can also use modified AVG Rescue CD for USB medium described at FAQ 4080 (recently with video tutorial), which contains automatic solution, when affected computer is booted from it.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience

Collapse -
still having the issue

In reply to: Re: more help

i have tried all the above fixes and it is still hanging on avgidseh.sys when booting into safe mode.

i have tried the following:
1. ran the modified rescue cd, this found no errors.
2. booted into knoppix and renamed AVG folder(Program files/avg) to avg12
3. rebooted the machine using start windows normally and safe mode and same issue.

does anyone have any other ideas.

any help is appreciated.

Collapse -
Re: still having the issue

In reply to: still having the issue

Hello washmesocks,

please rename also this AVG driver in folder C:\Windows\System32\Drivers (or C:\Windows\SysWoW64\Drivers).

Then please repair AVG installation.

Please be informed that fix to avoid these situations will be part of next program update (few days, version 1185 and newer).

Thank you for your patience

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: still having the issue

thank you for the response.

Still having the same issue after:

1. booted into knoppix and renamed the avg folder from the Windows\System32\Drivers folder.
2. ran the AVG repair disc
3. rebooted the machine into normal mode

any other ideas

Collapse -

Hello washmesocks,

please rename also (especially) all the avg* drivers (avgmfx86.sys etc..) in the abovementioned C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder using Knoppix. (Renaming the AVG subfolder is not so important.)

It should be possible to boot the system then (and run AVG repair installation).

Thank you

Collapse -
Nope.

Tried all of these things and they didn't work. I won't be using AVG in the future. Had to rewrite the entire hard drive.

Collapse -
Re: Nope

In reply to: Nope.

Hello soothethemuse,

Please accept our sincere apologies for these inconveniences with AVG product.

Proper following of provided steps should have disabled AVG from computer startup to avoid the unpleasant boot situation.

Hopefully one day we will get your confidence again.

Thank you

Collapse -
Can't rename files.. help!!

hi there.. i am having the same problem with my laptop start up..it gets stuck on the AVGIDSEH.SYS file and then I get the c000021a (Failed System Error). I try to do the System Startup recovery but I'm just brought in a loop.

I found this forum and I seem to have the same issues. I downloaded AVG's Rescue CD (both for CD and for USB) but, again, I am just brought in a loop after running the cd or usb. I get the message that the operation ran successfully, but when my laptop reboots, I have the same problem.

I see in some of the replies here that people have renamed some AVG files so to boot up their system without AVG interferring, but I can't figure out how to do that on my laptop. I cannot get to a C: prompt.

Can anyone offer any help??!! I'm desperate to save my files and apps on my laptop, some of them being documents and pics that are NOT replaceable!!

Thanks for any help!!

Collapse -
Re: Can't rename files.. help!!

In reply to: Can't rename files.. help!!

Hello hadiye2,

this situation is probably something little different and cannot be solved by the modified AVG Rescue CD from FAQ 4080.

It is needed to use non-modified AVG Rescue CD to rename AVG drivers (and AVG program folder). Please see this How-To article about procedure to rename AVG drivers. You can follow similar way from step 4 and rename AVG folder in Program Files folder.

What is the current situation?

Thank you for your cooperation and patience

Collapse -
Can't rename files.. help!!

In reply to: Re: Can't rename files.. help!!

Currently I am in MidnightCommander and found AVG in the OPT directory.
I am trying to rename the AVG files using the f6 key but I can only see the MOVE function not the RENAME function.
Please let me know how to use the rename function.How do I see AND use the rename function???????????
I am confused because f6 is attached to RENAME and MOVE

Here is the error I get when I try to enter your how-to-link.

An internal error occured
Sorry, the page you have requested cannot be displayed now. Please try it again later. It is also possible that the link you clicked is out-of-date and the information has been moved. In that case please use one of the following links to continue:

Collapse -
Can't rename files.. help!! Update

In reply to: Can't rename files.. help!!

Currently I figured out what the OPT is....and I KNOW that is is not the correct path.
I have looked multiple times in the mnt/sda (it was sda5 for me)there are absolutely NO avg.sys files in there.

There are files coming up when I start my laptop if I choose to view the windows start-up files. The last 2 files that come up are:

Windows/system32/drivers/AVGIDSEH.SYS and
Windows/system32/drivers/avgrKX86.sys

and then my computer just halts and it does not load any other files.

So, I'm baffled as to why I can't find those AVG files listed above when I search in the mnt/sda folder.

Any ideas???

Thanks!!

Collapse -
Re: Can't rename files.. help!! Update

In reply to: Can't rename files.. help!! Update

Hello hadiye2,

Information for others - AVG folder in OPT folder is related with installed (stored) AVG at the AVG RescueCD, not at the computer.

Could you please make sure that these files do not exist (renamed, deleted) in the Midnight Commander:

/mnt/sda5/Windows/system32/drivers/AVGIDSEH.SYS
/mnt/sda5/Windows/system32/drivers/avgrKX86.sys

Thank you

Collapse -
crcdisk.sys is the new problem

In reply to: Re: Can't rename files.. help!! Update

after renaming all the AVG files to .bak and rebooting, I attempted to reboot in safe mode and saw it getting stuck at crcdisk.sys and not sure what to do from here. I went back and deleted all the AVG files to see if that would help, which probably wasn't the best idea, but that didn't work either. I need help getting passed this point. Any suggestions??

Collapse -
Sorry but.

In reply to: crcdisk.sys is the new problem

I missed what OS is in use here as well as what the entire message is.

Just a little more details and what OS CD you have for this machine as a repair of the OS may be required.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.