Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG Trial Version 8.0 to Free Edition download

by littleme / June 29, 2008 10:16 AM PDT

I am on O days of my trial for AVG 8.0 and I have tried 4 times to download the Free Edition of AVG 8.0 but always receive this error message a couple of hours into the download: (The Publisher could not be verified Error downloading) (Some installation files are corrupt, please download a fresh copy) I have done this and it just doesn't seem to want to work. Should I have removed the Trial Version files first before downloading the Free Edition? I am a bit lost at what to do to solve this problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG Trial Version 8.0 to Free Edition download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG Trial Version 8.0 to Free Edition download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ask a friend to go get it for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 10:20 AM PDT

I can't explain why that works better for some.

Collapse -
I don't know either
by littleme / June 29, 2008 10:31 AM PDT

Thanks for reply, but I dont know either Happy

Collapse -
What a friend is?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 11:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't know either

Someone you know well and will do you a favor.

Collapse -
Re:AVG Trial Version
by Carol~ Moderator / June 29, 2008 12:56 PM PDT

littleme..

When you created the below thread, you mentioned you originally had AVG 7.5. Did you also have AVG Anti-Spyware installed? If so, did you remove it, before trying to install AVG 8.0? If you did use the program and you haven't uninstalled it, it might help if you did. Just a thought.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=296341&messageID=2782828#2782828

Someone at another forum found "a friend" with AVG downloaded. They saved a copy to a flash drive, then installed it on their own computer. If you found such a friend, as Bob suggested, you might be able to install it on your computer. It helped them. It might help you. (They were trying to install AVG 7.5, but perhaps it will also work with the latest version)

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Thanks Curcat
by littleme / June 29, 2008 2:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:AVG Trial Version

Thanks for the reply, I still have the spyware installed I think? I will give your idea a try. If I can find someone that is? Thanks again,cheers Carol.

Collapse -
You're welcome, littleme
by Carol~ Moderator / June 29, 2008 2:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Curcat

If you have AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 installed, you should be able to find it by going to Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove. You'll see it there, if you have it installed. It's also where you would remove it from. If you have the trial version installed and it's trial time has run out, it's doing you no good at this point. You may as well uninstall that too, if you haven't already.

You might want to consider installing CCleaner and have it do some "clean up" work, before trying to install it again.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

I'm not saying that it's the cause of your problems, only that it may help. You might also get some additional help here:

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1238#faq_1238

Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?