Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG setup problems. Help please!

by ENGINE ER / February 23, 2005 8:37 AM PST

I let my Norton expire and downloaded AVG 7 and ran updates and scanned computer (it took several hours) and I'm not sure it is working. When I try to open my email so I can see if I have any messages it will not receive (it says "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.cityofbryan.net', Server: 'mail.cityofbryan.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F" When I go to control center + set email scanner to receive email it says that the email scanner is not fully functional. It says personal email scanner is not active, but when I hit the activate button I cannot view the email. What settings am I supposed to use. I have win98, zonealarm (I have turned it off. Why am I having so much trouble? Thanks anybody that can help. I've read the FAQ's and they don't help me to understand. Advise soon because I do not have anti virus protection. I want to use an easy and understandable program. Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG setup problems. Help please!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG setup problems. Help please!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi ENGINE ER
by roddy32 / February 23, 2005 8:58 AM PST

I don't use AVG myself but there are a number of others in here that do. While you are wating for someone here to help you, you might try this link also for the AVG forums which has a number of sticky posts for different issues.
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/index.php?0

Collapse -
1st hang in... you will get it !
by glenn30 / February 23, 2005 10:08 AM PST
In reply to: Hi ENGINE ER

Roddy is correct that many users are here and someone will be able to assist. No expert here but my first question is are you using a firewall. If so make sure it is configured to allow your e-mail client to access the internet. Secondly if you use ZoneAlarm there is an e-mail tab and setting that may need turning either on or off depending on your needs.

I offer this as a starter until someone else comes along. AVG is a good antivirus so keep trying to find the problem... a solution does exist.

Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
Also check this guide
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 23, 2005 10:04 PM PST
Collapse -
Finally got AVG to work?
by ENGINE ER / February 24, 2005 12:11 PM PST
In reply to: Also check this guide

Thanks Mark. I use Outlook Express so I followed your link carefully and hopefully, finally got it to work! I tried to test it by sending the fake virus file EICAR as per instructions but I'm not sure how to extract the file so I can send it to myself, because when I tried to send it to myself the message came through and in the body of the email it said " Suspicious files were found in the attachments. Is this what I'am looking for?
eicar.zip: Contains password-protected files

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 266.4.0 - Release Date: 2/22/05 "
In the EICAR website it warns not to download the file because some anti virus programs cannot remove
the "infected" file. AVG will be able to delete it, won't it?
Also in my new emails now most of the messages have a paper clip on the left side. What does this mean? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Collapse -
forget about Eicar
by dawillie / February 24, 2005 12:37 PM PST

just send yourself an email to a diff e-mail addy like hotmail or yahoo and ensure that the mail is being scanned.

the paper clip is indication of an attachement, however if you folowed the link that Mark provided, then your OE is properly configured with AVG and, subject to your having current definitions at all times, infected mail will be stripped and the infection sent to the virus vault from where it can be deleted.

Collapse -
ENGINE ER, you seem to be all set...
by glenn30 / February 24, 2005 10:07 PM PST

As to your question about the paper clip, I too was curious and have the same situation even when there is no actual attachment.

As I understand and was explained to me, this is placed there by AVG when the certification is added at the bottom of the message and therefore gets the paperclip symbol added. This is strange but I believe is quite normal. Anyway mine and others act just like yours.

Congratulations! Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Try to disable certification on incoming/outgoing mail
by Melati Hitam / February 24, 2005 3:36 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!