Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

avg results ?

by Fish / August 13, 2005 1:50 AM PDT

Im helping a friend with a problem.

Windows xp sp2
aol dialup

while playing games she says a message popped up stating "aol has encountered an error" and requested her to use aol reinstall disk.Her aol came preinstalled from Dell.6 month free.She has no aol disk.

I ran avg which I previously installed for her.It found no bugs but there are 5 items with "changed" after them.Is this ok or does being changed indicate a problem?

Changed were the following
1. kernel32.dll
2. winsock32.dll
3. use32.dll
4. shell32.dll
5. ntoskrnl.exe

Any help is welcome.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: avg results ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: avg results ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Fish
by roddy32 / August 13, 2005 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: avg results ?

Those are valid and needed operating system files. It was probably AOL that changed them in the first place and seeing as AOL doesn't exactly share info with the rest of the world, she may have to talk to them for help. Is she having a problem with the computer or was this a one time thing?

Collapse -
aol
by Fish / August 13, 2005 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Fish

Roddy, this just started two days ago.While she was online playing a game that message just popped up.Since then she cannot get online as the same error message keeps popping up.

Im at a loss with no aol install disk to run.Iv looked at her Dell disks and none mention aol.
She long ago hit the end of the free 6 mo deal from dell and says she responded at that time to aol popup for there service.Doing so online gives her no disk to work with.She pays every 6 mo for their service.

I will inform her of HER unpleasant task of phone contact ahead.:o( not my job. lol--- I hope!

Collapse -
Good luck Fish, I wish I could
by roddy32 / August 13, 2005 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: aol

have given you a better answer.

Collapse -
Roddy
by Fish / August 13, 2005 5:51 AM PDT

you can't win um all.lol
Your efforts are always appreciated.Thank's Fish

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Fish :)
by roddy32 / August 13, 2005 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Roddy
Collapse -
Fish and roddy32
by Rick Beach / August 13, 2005 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Fish

It was not AOL that changed those files....IT was (AVG)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ON 8/8/2005 when AVG had there bad virus def. file and removed or changed a bunch of windows files. Those same files were changed in my computer..Changed to what, I don't know??? My computer still works So FAR...

roddy32 it was the same time basil posted that TROJAN Horse Dropper.Agent.8.B that removed the (cisvc.exe) file. Which is still in my AVG virus vault.

Rick

Collapse -
Rick
by roddy32 / August 13, 2005 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Fish and roddy32

The "cisvc.exe" file that was involved in that false positive is NOT one of the files that was in that log. This is a different situation completely IMO. I have been to the AVG forum numerous times about that false positive from the other day and NONE of the files that Fish posted were mentioned anywhere. Also, I never saw anybody at the forum reporting that they lost AOL because of it either. Happy

Collapse -
No it is not
by Rick Beach / August 13, 2005 10:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Rick

and I wish I knew how to post my AVG log file from 8/8/05. Because that is when my "cisvc.exe" file was deleted shown as (backup copy) and those 5 files Fish posted are Shown as (CHANGED) in my AVG Log file. I don't use AOL.

Rick

Collapse -
Maybe Fish will see this
by roddy32 / August 13, 2005 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: No it is not

Rick, I don't know. I don't use AOL or AVG myself. I'm just going by the 100 or so posts that I read the last few days at the AVG forum about this and I never saw any mention of those files. Maybe I just missed them. Everything that I read was about the ""cisvc.exe" and the "Dropper.Agent.8.B". Regardless, I do not have an answer either way.

Collapse -
Changed files
by Aotearoa / August 13, 2005 11:11 AM PDT

Hi, I posted a reply to Rick in the other thread on this subject. On the AVG 'virus and removal forum' there's a reference to these same changed files mentioned in the post by Hydrangea and the moderators response. May help shed some light.. hopefully.

Collapse -
Yes, I saw your response in that
by roddy32 / August 13, 2005 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Changed files

thread. I think the AVG forum is the only place that is going to know for sure.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes. Quite agree.
by Aotearoa / August 13, 2005 11:59 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!