HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Avg Resident Shield

by matthewmanning / August 4, 2006 3:11 PM PDT

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I have a pop-up alert from my AVG that reads VIRUS DETECTED.
while opening C:\1386\REG.EXE
Virus identified Worm/Generic.TX

I cannot get it to go away. I've tried to do what it says,but it just pops back up with a 30 second timer and when it hits 0 it just pops back up.

Ic

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avg Resident Shield
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avg Resident Shield
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Worm/Generic.FX
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 4, 2006 3:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Avg Resident Shield
Collapse -
I want to
by matthewmanning / August 4, 2006 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Worm/Generic.FX

run this cleaner in safe mode but everytime I restart in safe mode I can't see the vcleaner on my desktop. I have tried putting it in different places, but no luck! How do I get it where I can use it?

Thanks,
IC

Collapse -
Just a thought.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 5, 2006 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: I want to
rename the vcleaner.exe to some different exe file (e.g. something.exe)and try it again.

Does that work?
Collapse -
My Reply
by G8torguy / August 5, 2006 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Avg Resident Shield

My suggestion to you would be, if you have a pop up blocker installed on your Computer, use it. The Windows service pack 2 comes with a fairly decent pop up blocker, and you can also download from this site pop up stopper, the free version, as well. Also, My other suggestion to you would be, If you can correct your problem, use The latest version of the Netscape browser. This has a security center that Internet Explorer does not have, and pages will load much faster, as well. I recently recieved a Trojan Dropper virus, and had to reformat my hard drive, but after getting everything back up and running, I installed the items I have mentioned here, and have not had any problems since then. Good luck to you.

Collapse -
I already
by matthewmanning / August 5, 2006 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: My Reply

use Mozilla Firefox for about a year now. I also use there pop-up blocker. I can't even get I/E to run anymore, the home page is blank and everytime I try to change it , it doesn't work so I just disabled it from my firewall.
The Avg Resident shield is supposed to find real-time viruses which it did, but It cannot get rid of it.

Marianna, I ran the vcleaner and when I came back to check on it , it was already done and so I don't know what it found. The worm is gone for now, but if I see it again, I will run vcleaner again, thanks for your help all!
IC

Collapse -
Thanks fot your feedback !
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 5, 2006 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: I already

Glad to hear vcleaner got rid of it.

Don't forget to disable system restore - reboot and enable system restore again !

How to Disable or Enable Windows XP System Restore.

http://www.online-tutorials.com/folder9/920.htm

Happy SAFE Computing !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.