Computer Help forum

General discussion

AVG Resident Sheild conflicting with Windows Security Center

by CStudios / July 17, 2008 3:08 PM PDT
System Software Overview:
Acer Aspire 6920G
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Defender disabled

My trial subscription for McAfee Security Center recently expired (came with my new computer), so I downloaded AVG Free 8 as a replacement.

First, I uninstalled McAfee completely -- every component. Of course, Vista panicked the minute I restarted my computer and forced Windows Defender up to try and move in as the new Anti-Virus program on my computer.

I ran the AVG Free 8 installer, and installed the program without any trouble; the warning flashes didn't go away.

I restarted my computer, and for the first about ten minutes or so, everything was working normally. Then -- with no user interaction whatsoever, AVG's Resident Shield shut down without warning, and Vista started panicking again. I checked the Windows Security Center, and it told me to "Turn On" AVG 8 and activate it as my Anti-Virus application. I gave it the go-ahead, but it had no effect; the Resident Shield did not restore itself.

I disabled Windows Defender and tried to "Turn On" AVG again in the Windows Security Center. This time it worked, but for no less than a minute.

Then matters got worse, and now Windows Security Center flagged me saying I had no Anti-Spyware protection. It gave me the option to choose Windows Defender or AVG, and of course, I chose AVG. It did nothing; all categories remained flagged in red.

The most odd thing about this is that if the Resident Shield is active, and I start up any web browser, it has a 50/50 chance of shutting itself down for no apparent reason.

I don't know what's going on here. I have had Windows Defender disabled when I had McAfee Security Center and had absolutely no problems. Is there something I can do to get AVG's Resident Shield back online? Do I need to disable something or re-install AVG all together?

Any suggestions would be greatly helpful. I have included links to screenshots of the problem below.

Screenshot 1: Windows Security Center in Error State
Screenshot 2: Choosing AVG as the Anti-Virus application
Screenshot 3: Allowing AVG to run as both Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG Resident Sheild conflicting with Windows Security Center
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG Resident Sheild conflicting with Windows Security Center
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Toss it. Try AVAST next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 8:55 PM PDT

Why fight it?

Collapse -
Solution found...
by CStudios / July 18, 2008 3:08 PM PDT

Thank you for your suggestion R. Profitt, but this morning I seem to have found a permanent solution to my problem.

It turns out that even though I shut down the main Windows Defender application and its realtime monitoring engine, its process was still running in the background and therefore the Windows Security Center still saw it as a possible anti-virus/anti-spyware application. I killed the process and then disabled its execution on Startup, and the Resident Shield for AVG was completely restored with no hiccups; no more conflicts.

If this solution fails down the road, I will look into dumping it and trying Avast, but for now, now that it's working fine, I'm leaving it be.

Collapse -
AVG resident shield conflicting with windows security center
by fgianola / January 21, 2009 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: Solution found...

Hi!
I am in the same exact situation as you were. In your solution, you state "I killed the process and then disabled its execution on Startup", but you don's explain how you did that. I need to do the same thing, please explain how you did it.
Tkank you

Collapse -
AVG resident shield conflicting with windows security center
by JeffH. / February 27, 2009 1:14 AM PST

Open up your security center click on windows defender make sure it is off. Then you want to open up your services you can just type in services in your search box under the start menu and scroll down to windows defender right click and go properties under start up type make sure you disable. then restart your comp and avg should be up and running.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.