General discussion

AVG reminders?

My Dell laptop continues to pop up a window from AVG asking me to install the latest version for free. But I can't remember if my anti-virus software, or the version that came with the computer is an AVG product and therefore would it mess with whatever protection I already have. Second: how and where do I go to see what is already installed to protect my computer. Sorry, sort of new to all this stuff. thanks so much.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: AVG reminders?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: AVG reminders?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The Notification Area

Check the icons in the Notification Area, where the clock is. Hover the mouse over each icon and make a note of each. You can then use Google to check what you have.

As far as I am aware all anti-virus scanners place an icon there, so you should be able to find out.

Any Windows system should only have one anti-virus scanner, so if you have more than one you need to consider which one to stay with and which to stop using and uninstall.

Once you find out, it is important that your anti-virus scanner is kept up to date, and that means both Program updates and Virus Definition updates.

I hope that helps.

Mark

- Collapse -
thanks

I'll check it out. I just noticed an AVG icon in the upper left corner of my toolbar, so I guess I do have AVG as my virus protection. So I assume it is now safe to download the reminders, asking me to update to the lastest virus protection coming from AVG. thanks again!

CNET Forums

Forum Info