Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG question/problem

by jonah jones / February 24, 2006 3:08 PM PST

after updating the virus definitions, i get a little "to complete, restart your computer" window...

1 question, why don't i get the same window on the laptop? (running the same version)

1 problem, why is there a "restart later" button when the program will be disabled til i DO restart?

doesn't logic say that the restart should be automatic OR that AVG will use the older definitions til i DO decide to reboot?

jonah

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG question/problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG question/problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OS difference?
by sheilakmcd / February 24, 2006 7:34 PM PST
In reply to: AVG question/problem

You didn't say, but are the two computers running different OS's? My 98SE PC's get the restart message a lot, but it's rare on the XP machines. I just assumed there was difference in how they update the files/registry.

As to the why is restart later an option if the AVG isn't going to be working until you do, I have no idea.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) sorry...XP+SP1 on both machines
by jonah jones / February 24, 2006 9:07 PM PST
In reply to: OS difference?
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) winXp Pro SP2..never get a "restart" message on defs updates
by eddie11013 / February 24, 2006 10:55 PM PST
Collapse -
posted your query in the AVG Forum
by dawillie / February 25, 2006 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: AVG question/problem

posted as dawillie.

will post back with their response.

Collapse -
The reboot pop-up
by chuckieu / February 25, 2006 1:52 AM PST

usually happens for a LARGE update, like after a reformat. SP1? Why not SP2? Normally you shouldn't get a
reboot pop-up on a desktop that is updated regularly. I don't even get one on my XP even though I only log in once a week (run Mandriva 5-6 days).

Collapse -
here is the response form the AVG Mod.
by dawillie / February 25, 2006 1:53 AM PST

'Re: request to re- boot after update
Posted by: rdsok - Moderator (IP Logged) new
Date: February 25, 2006 06:43PM

Check the Update Manager properties.. ensure they are set to...

Update immediately - Require confirmation from the user.

If the problem is a repetitive loop error ( ie asks to reboot every time you start the system to complete the update )

Here is the FAQ that is posted on Grisofts website about one cause of this
Update requires restart Update - It is necessary to reboot the computer to finish update process?
If the message appears even though you rebooted, please perform following procedure:

find and delete the WAIT4SD file, if it is located in the AVG Free for Windows folder (ensure that showing hidden files and folders is on
go to the ...Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7data folder and remove its content
reboot your PC
try to update again

Another cause is when Windows has a problem performing the tasks it needs to on boot up. Look in the Windows
directory for a file named WININIT.INI (ignore the files with .EXE and .BAK extention) and delete the file.
Reboot the computer and if needed try to update again.

I C&P from the FAQ above in italics.

Also sending to our group e-mail.

Collapse -
*sigh* no help there David
by jonah jones / February 25, 2006 11:18 AM PST

it's not a loop. the reboot does it's job...

no WAIT4SD file

no WININIT.INI file

Chuck, i had SP2 on a previous install, hated it...

jonah "fastest reboot in the west" jones

Collapse -
Jonah
by tomron / February 25, 2006 11:46 AM PST

Maybe something is corrupted

You can try this,can't hurt

1. Download the latest AVG Free installation package from HOME PAGE
2. Run the AVG Free install file
3. Choose the Repair option and follow the setup wizard
4. Restart your computer then test

Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.