Avast & AVG forum

Question

AVG Product Names and Abilities?

by MissVeeCee / December 28, 2013 5:09 AM PST

I have a license for AVG AntiVirus 2014. I saw on a review or article that there is an AVG Internet Security 2014, AVG Premium Security 2014 (and also PC TuneUp which I know I don't have). Is my license actually for the free version or a lesser version of AVG security product? I have a license # and registered last night. I'm thinking that what I have is not enough because the AVG antivirus scan indicates that my system is one heck of a hot mess, so I need to buy PCTuneup to fix things. What exactly do I need to stay secure and not fret over viruses and other infiltrators? Can I have my AVG AntiVirus and run a free tune-up program to be covered? Sorry for all the questions...I should have asked them before I got the AVG Anti-Virus.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG Product Names and Abilities?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG Product Names and Abilities?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: mess
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 5:20 AM PST

I can't believe the antivirus says your system is a mess. It should only report viruses and other malware.
And I can't believe that you think you need to buy PC Tuneup to fix things, because whatever it fixes (that's a mystery) it doesn't do anything against viruses and other malware.

So can you be much more specific and detailed about that reported mess?

Kees

Collapse -
UPDATE--more info.
by MissVeeCee / December 28, 2013 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: Re: mess

Thanks so much for your responses Kees_B and wpgwpg.

I have AVG AntiVirus 2014--the licensed version which I activated yesterday afternoon. When I opened AntiVirus 2014 last night, all the subgroups (Computer, Web Browsing, Identity, E-mails, Firewall) were red and indicated I was "not protected". I clicked on Firewall which had the option to "activate now" and that brought me to the choice to upgrade from Antivirus Free to Internet Security 2014. Weird! since I had registered with AVG and already had a license number. This morning, when I had the AVG AV scan my system, the subgroups were all red again and telling me the system has no protection, and when I clicked on something having to do with activating system maintenance--I forgot what it was--I was given the choice to purchase PC Tune-up . Right now everything is green, but the firewall box still says "activate now" and clicking on it still brings me back to the upgrade to Internet Security 2014 page. Is the AVG licensed version of AntiVirus not enough or not as thorough as Internet Security?

My computer system (Windows Vista) has been really slow and acting buggy for about a week--I was using the trial version of Advanced Care System, and when my computer is on but unattended, my screen has this warning/notice that a phishing program was stopped from taking over my system. Last night I uninstalled a lot of programs I don't use anymore--a couple of which I have no idea what they were--and my system hasn't coughed up this weird notification that my new hardware needs a driver. I have no new hardware...and I just want to know what I need to keep my system in order. I decided to make a commitment to AVG's products, but do I have to buy all of them just to be protected?? I don't feel like I'm off to a good start...I apologize for writing so much, but I'm trying to give you an idea of what has me concerned and feeling like my system is a huge mess. I appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Collapse -
Re: AVG
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 7:01 PM PST
In reply to: UPDATE--more info.

As you can see in the link wpgwpg posted, the AVG firewall isn't included in what you bought (you bought the leftmost product on the Antivirus tab, I think). Neither is the Tuneup program, that's on the middle tab.

It's up to you to decide if you need another firewall than the one that already comes with Windows, and - if so - if you buy the one from AVG or another (Comodo is free and well-regarded). And if you already have Advanced System Care (oops, we don't recommend any of those programs!) there's certainly no need to buy a comparable program like PC Tuneup.
But as long as you've got issues with AVG Antivirus (being red in stead of green) I wouldn't even think of buying another of their programs.

The first thing to do now seems scans with other programs, as given by Grif in http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6122_102-5509131.html?tag=posts;msg5509131 .All are free.

If that helps against 'slow' and 'buggy' and 'weird', and AVG behaves as it should, I'd say: leave it as it is. If not, come back here to see if we can suggest more.

Kees

Collapse -
AVG
by MissVeeCee / December 29, 2013 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: Re: AVG

Thanks, Kees, for the suggestions. I think I'll do some research this time and figure out for sure what I need for my system (and peace of mind). That link and info you provided was really helpful, and I appreciate the time you spend online helping people with your comments. Thanks again! --VC

Collapse -
Answer
Here's a list of their products comparing abilities
by wpgwpg / December 28, 2013 5:36 AM PST
Collapse -
List of Products!!
by MissVeeCee / December 28, 2013 8:21 AM PST

Thanks so much for the link to AVG's products. I thought all they had was the Antivirus and the PC Tuneup, but I admit to not researching like I should. I think I'm going to stick with the AV 2014 and shop around for a good Tune-up program.

Collapse -
Be careful about those tune-up programs
by wpgwpg / December 28, 2013 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: List of Products!!

Outside of an occasional defrag, there's not much you can do to tune your software. And Windows has a built-in defrag program. Be especially careful about the so-called registry cleaners. They are nothing more than snake oil! They are not needed, do no good, and can cause problems that're difficult to diagnose and resolve.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?