Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG or Avast?

by darkdestiny7 / May 2, 2007 3:16 AM PDT

I would like to know which antivirus softwares stated below are best in detecting more viruses and malware, in overall and more:

AVG Antivirus
Avast Home Edition

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG or Avast?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG or Avast?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) They are both good, try them and see which you like.
by roddy32 / May 2, 2007 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG or Avast?
Collapse -
I agree with Rod. Try one by one or view the features. But
by Donna Buenaventura / May 2, 2007 4:19 AM PDT

if you want to read the result which of them detects more... you need to go to http://av-comparatives.org/
Click "Comparatives" at the left.
Review the result done by av-comparatives from Feb. 2004 to Feb. 2007. See which one detects more and if their detection rate is acceptable, continous good or not.

Collapse -
BTW, not all AV can detect all
by Donna Buenaventura / May 2, 2007 4:22 AM PDT

Some might miss a thing if there's variant or not discovered yet. Or if they are not suppose to detect an item.

Example: AVG Free will not detect some spyware or some security risk (I can't remember which one it will not allow user to check because only available to AVG paid version).

Collapse -
As Donna Said....
by Larry38 / May 2, 2007 6:43 AM PDT

The paid version of AVG is better than the free version, I have used AVG Pro for many years, as a long time user I get it for half the regular price.

I have tried Avast, I liked it, but went back to AVG Pro.

I have WXP Home, SP2 and the three security programs that I have running in real time are AVG Pro, Comodo Firewall, and BOClean. I have Windows Defender turned off. I also use AdAware SE, Spybot, and AVG AV as on demand scanners.

HTH
Larry

Collapse -
Correction..
by Larry38 / May 2, 2007 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: As Donna Said....

I ment AVG Anti-Spyware as on demand scanner, not AVG AV.

Collapse -
If you are going with the Free...
by Larry38 / May 3, 2007 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Correction..

Version of an AV, I personally would go with Avast rather than AVG.

Larry

Collapse -
Appears that there's much better ones out there...
by darkdestiny7 / May 2, 2007 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: As Donna Said....

... But, thing is, are they really good? I dunno about the site's Proactive Tests and On-Demand Comparatative (about their differences), but it appears that Norton Antivirus, which I once used years ago, is among the best, behind leaders like AntiVir PE Premium and Nod32 (points at latest report).

And it looks like even AVG Professional is one of the bottom few.

I would like to know if there's much better similar softwares than AVG and Avast. May not be intending to buy anything.

P.S. Trend Micro PC-cillin is not tested??? They should!

Collapse -
No idea why Trend Micro isn't included in the test

When viewing the av-comparatives.org, you might want to ignore the result on paid products since you don't intend to buy. I suggest to "check" only the result of the Antivirus that offer freeware.

There is also PC Tools antivirus, Comodo antivirus. I don't know what is your requirement other than freeware. Not all of them has detection to all.

If I'm not mistaken the new version of avast has rootkit detection. v4.7xxx

Collapse -
Also, we must not depend only on AV

There are antimalware products that will really find what antivirus can't detect or block.

Free:
AVG antispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-aware SE, Windows Defender, Comodo BOClean, SpywareGuard, etc.

Collapse -
re: Comodo BOClean
by Dragon / May 8, 2007 4:41 AM PDT

I was checking this program out and noticed it was an active program, not one that you would run periodically like Adaware. Did you notice any change in resources?

Also, the site said: In order to properly install COMODO BOClean 4.23, you *MUST* be logged on as an administrator/owner. A reminder screen will appear when started to warn that it must be installed under the administrator/owner. It's NECESSARY to ensure that the kernel driver is properly loaded that the installation be done by administrator.

I'm not sure how to go about that with my XP, though my wife's puter is set up to log in either adminstrator or as herself.

Collapse -
In the Case of AVG, If You Enable Heuristics, It Jumps.....
by tobeach / May 2, 2007 3:15 PM PDT

to the 80+% range. AVG AV is a virus scanner mainly so when a test includes spyware & other types of malware it's not really apples to apples. This is why they now have AVG Anti-spy (formerly EWIDO) which lists 750,000 threats in its' database. Hope this helps explain why you have to take a pretty big grain of salt w/ review/reports. Happy

Collapse -
Norton? No way
by simstick / May 7, 2007 5:08 AM PDT

The worst software experience I have ever had was with Norton trying to do the uninstall via the add/remove programs menu. After appearing to kill the harddrive I found that the way was to do it via the Norton site. I was able to recover the harddrive with a stroke of luck. I had something get by AVG one time and wiped my boot sector but had very good luck with AVAST free edition and I liked the way it was setup and worked.

Collapse -
its your choice
by steve l / May 7, 2007 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton? No way

Hi Dark
I have not long purchased a new pc which came with 12 months free use of Norton first thing I did was uninstall it and got AVG. I agree with you about Avast it is very good but I found it slowed my pc down but allways remember no antivirus is 100% if your happy with Avast thats great its your choice.
cheers mate
Steve

Collapse -
Avast is the best
by stevenho5 / May 2, 2007 7:35 PM PDT

Hi To answer your question.I have used both anti-virus apps.Both are good.But I liked Avast the best.Just make sure the updates are kept up todate. stevenho5

Collapse -
Sounds interesting... but I would prefer both!
by darkdestiny7 / May 2, 2007 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Avast is the best

The reason why I chose that is because I feel that, no matter how bad it is, each of the 2 antivirus softwares should be able to patch up the other's weakness. But, whether nothing will happen between these 2 softwares, I'll juz wait and see.

What other free anti-virus softwares do you guys use that are free also? Or are there paid ones that deserved to be bought by users, in terms of protection and computer performance. I would like anyone to share.

Collapse -
Normally, It Doesn't Work That Way...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 2, 2007 11:53 PM PDT

Generally, two antivirus programs running on the same machine at the same time will actually CONFLICT with each other.. If malware enters the computer, they can fight with each other about how to eliminate the problem and as a result, they don't function as well. IN addition, it gets to be a bother keeping them both updated and running correctly. Instead, try one of the programs, test it and see if it performs as you would like.. Then uninstall it and install the second antivirus program.. Run those same tests, check over it's user interface, etc. and see if you like that program.

Make a decision on which you like best and use ONE of them, not both at the same time. I think you'll be better satisfied with the result.

Just my opinion.

Grif

Collapse -
Avast
by kpo6969 / May 3, 2007 3:02 AM PDT

I've been using for 6 years now. XP and Vista. Works great in combination with Adaware, Spybot S&D, and Spywareblaster.

Collapse -
Avast Antivirus then!
by darkdestiny7 / May 3, 2007 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Avast

Well, I've selected Avast antivirus Home Edition as my main antivirus scheme. It seems pretty cool with several real-time protection features. I don't know much about it, but I believe it's the best so far.

I'll be intending to get another paid antivirus softwares at retail stores some time in months.

Collapse -
The other two big freebies
by JonathanCase / May 7, 2007 7:57 AM PDT

are Avira (Scores high at avcomparatives.org, very well liked and cosidered effective by its users, and AVS from AOL, which has a large following. But it is AOL. Read the EULA carefully.
I use Avast, no problems, no significant slowdown, (3500/1G) no infections. Also use a resident antispy with HIPS,Boclean,Firefox/no script, MVPS hosts file, and SpywareBlaster.

Collapse -
Both of Them
by anjost / May 7, 2007 10:47 AM PDT

I am surprised that you would be able to load two anti-virus programs. It was my understanding that you had to uninstall one before you could install another.

Collapse -
If you are a Comcast broadband subscriber...
by jrfoleyjr / May 7, 2007 11:29 AM PDT

...you get a complimentary subscription to McAfee AV. I have been using it since they made it available in this way. Don't know if its detection rate is better or worse. I have not had a virus that I know of since using it. I used to use Norton, but it acts squirrely on upgrades sometimes. You have to do a full and complete uninstall including a manual edit of the registry to really clean the system of Norton AV. It is almost viral in the way it tunnels down and hides snippets of itself. I had a lot of troubles with Norton over the years. AVG appears to be a great AV. I have it running on several of my computers including my laptop.

Collapse -
Avast or AVG
by zeebell / May 4, 2007 2:12 PM PDT

Windows XP w/SP2
Compac PresarioProcessor - 2.40 gigahertz
AMD Athlon64Memory - 512 MB
200 GB hard drive
IE 7

I have used AVG FREE for 10+ years and am very pleased with it.

I help teach computer classes for our local computer club and on the 17 PC's we have, 12 of them have AVG and 5 have Avast. Both are good. I still lean toward AVG even though Avast talks to ya!!

I've noticed that computer repair shops in our area always put the AVG Free on computers when an anti-virus program is needed. AVG works well with other protection I have installed -- Spybot, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster, and my Kerio Personal Firewall (pay version).

AVG also has an Anti-Rootkit Free Edition which works quite smoothly. Here's the link in case you're interested:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-rootkit-free

Julea

Collapse -
AVG for Me
by steve l / May 7, 2007 5:07 AM PDT

Hi Darkdestiny
I have tried Norton,AVG, and Avast all do there job well but AVG doesnt slow down your pc I found the others did very much so.
but make your own decision this is my choice.
Good luck
Steve

Collapse -
AntiVir PE Classic
by Sinkhan / May 7, 2007 5:33 AM PDT

For all those who have read the earlier posts, read about av-comparatives.org and went to the site to check it out, AntiVir PE is surely one of the top three detecting programs.

I'd like to futher point out that Avira offers a free version of their antivirus software that makes use of an equally as powerful detection engine.

I've tried AVG and avast!, but AntiVir seems to be the best for me.

AntiVir main site: http://www.avira.com

Free Version: http://www.free-av.com

Collapse -
Thanks but...
by darkdestiny7 / May 7, 2007 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: AntiVir PE Classic

In terms of online protection and performance, is AVG better than Avast or is it the other way round? Or are there any antivirus that are better than the 2 mentioned? Just tell me some statistics if you know them.

About Norton (antivirus), I've used it a couple of years and find it pretty efficient, until Norton IS 2006 is bought.

Collapse -
If you want stats -- google antivirus + ratings
by zeebell / May 7, 2007 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks but...

you'll get plenty of stats if you do this.

This is only 1 --http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

this particular one rates AVG #8 and Avast #12.

I'm sure opinions differ wherever you go.

Julea

Collapse -
Best Antivirus Used?
by darkdestiny7 / May 7, 2007 9:39 AM PDT

Thanks for the link. But I would like to know, are there better antivirus softwares (free) than AVG and Avast? I've seen AOL Virus Shield and it seems quite good. Any more recommendations?

AOL Virus Shield VS AntiVir Free: Which is better?

Collapse -
AVG or Avast?
by youngpaul2 / May 7, 2007 11:51 AM PDT

Just helping people to set up systems in there home and adding freeware software ie; Avast is the easy to understand.

Collapse -
Avast works for me....
by apple_pie / May 7, 2007 1:25 PM PDT

I have two WinXP SP2 machines with Avast Free installed along side NSW 2003 (minus its NAV and CleanSweep). Both of these machines have enough horse-power that I'm not sure if they are slowed down if any by Avast.

I have two other machines that run Win98SE and are CPU challenged. One is used as a backup for the above machines. Both of these machines have Avast Free installed along side NSW 2003 (minus its NAV and CleanSweep). I run Avast on the backup machine every other week and it takes several hours but so what....

I like the automatic update of the virus definitions; it tries to update upon startup and every four or so hours after startup if there is a definitions file update.

The registration is a snap. You give Avast your information and email address and they send you a registration string to cut and paste into your Avast installation. This registration string is used on all of the Avast programs running under your registration. The registration is good for 14 months and they tell you when you need to get a new registration string.

For Free, Avast Free works very well for me....

Collapse -
I'll use AntiVir for a while...
by darkdestiny7 / May 7, 2007 2:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Avast works for me....

It appears this thread had expanded to more antivirus programs, other than AVG and Avast.

Anyway, I think I'll use AntiVir PE for a while, until I get a 1GB RAM so I can run PC-cillin IS 2007. Will consider getting Kaspersky in my region soon, seeing that it's the most ideal and at least affordable protection available.

Should I buy Kaspersky Antivirus or Internet Security?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?