Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG Hoax???

by notverybright / March 25, 2009 10:35 AM PDT

Received what appeared to be a legitimate, regular AVG update notice. Started to download update when my daughter advised that she had heard this update was causing problems on other people's system. Stopped download in mid-process....had to do a full system restore to get the gremlins out. 3 hours of my life that I'll never get back. Nice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG Hoax???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG Hoax???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AVG virus
by Trump3d-18767979787287171055463420089372 / March 25, 2009 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: AVG Hoax???

I am glad to see this post. I was beginning to believe it was something that my daughter did accidentally. She also received what looked to be a legitimate AVG update box that appeared on her screen. She is set to receive auto updates and thought that is what this was. She is not too savvy about watching how updates arrive, which is part of the problem.

Within a short time, her laptop locked up. Fortunately she does a regular backup. Her geek friend was able to clean up the viruses and trojans (over 500) and she was good to go.

This occurred about a month ago. She was using the free AVG version. I went to the AVG forum and opened a new thread, but at that time, no one had heard anything about this. I haven't been back to check it since.

A caution to AVG users - you may want to turn off auto updates or at least be sure they are legit before downloading.

Collapse -
Yes There Was/Is a Fake AVG Out There...
by tobeach / March 25, 2009 4:21 PM PDT

but I thought it was Rogue AVG 2008 or 2009? Was a rogue program pretending to be new AVG. Haven't heard about an " AVG update" rogue before this myself. I spent time searching for original posts on this but can't find. Thanks for this warning!!! Happy

Collapse -
Found The Link To Fake AVG Posts...
by tobeach / March 26, 2009 4:44 PM PDT
Collapse -
There WAS a legit AVG program update
by roddy32 / March 26, 2009 2:10 AM PDT

released yesterday. I don't use AVG myself but it was posted on the "Paid" version page. The "Free" version page did not have it posted but Grisoft is sometimes slow posting that stuff so I don't know if the "Free" version received it or not.

Collapse -
AVG UPDATE - HOAX

Roddy-

Not quite sure what you're saying here. Was there a warning re: an update hoax on the paid AVG page, but not the free version?

The viruses on my daughter's pc (who did download the AVG update hoax) were linked directly to that download. It appeared as a box in the middle of her screen w/ the AVG logo. She was running 7.0 ver.

For myself, AVG Free ver 8, I've been updating w/ no problems, but I update manually from my webpage.

I don't know anything about a rogue AVG program out there. I recently downloaded ver 8.5 from Grisoft w/ no problems.

Collapse -
There was a legit program update
by roddy32 / March 26, 2009 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG UPDATE - HOAX

for version 8 yesterday is what I am saying. I think there was also one today but I have not had the time to go look for it or post it anywhere yet. Yesterday's legit update was only posted on the "Paid" version's page BUT it MIGHT have also been released for the "Free" version without being posted at AVG. As I said earlier, AVG is sometimes slow in posting these things. I can not verify either way because I don't use AVG.

Also, As far as I know the 7.0 version is no longer supported so she needs to upgrade to the 8.5 version. As far as an AVG HOAX being posted, I have not seen anything at AVG about that, at least not on their main news page which is here.
http://www.grisoft.com/us.news

Collapse -
legit update for avg ver 8
by Trump3d-18767979787287171055463420089372 / March 26, 2009 3:51 AM PDT

roddy

you're correct...there's legit updates for 8 yesterday and today. No problem with those.

I don't know if the rogue update is still floating around or not. but the one's for avg free come in regularly.

thx j

Collapse -
AVG scan results displayed on brower, no longer us AVG
by squidbobi / February 15, 2011 9:50 AM PST

just got a browser page with info that told me that AVG had detected a large number of threats on my computer (worms,trojan, keyloggers....etc.) Thing is I had removed AVG about a month ago and decided not to click on anything on the page(click here to fix). Hoax, phishing scam, or AVG trying to scare up some business?

I did some updating of what I now use and found only annoying adware, cookies, and basic annoyances.

Collapse -
It Was Malware
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 16, 2011 12:29 AM PST

There is an AVG malware hoax out there (usually known as AVG Antivirus 2011) which attempts to install a rogue antispyware trojan on your computer.. It's not the "real" AVG at all. Closing the page was a good thing but if you haven't already, you may still want to download and run some malware removal tools such as the free ones below:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thank you for the response :)
by squidbobi / February 16, 2011 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: It Was Malware

so many sneaky people out there... thanks again for the response.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?