Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG Freeware updates

by auggief / September 9, 2005 8:37 PM PDT

My friend says that every time he updates AVG he has to restart. I don't experience that. Should he remove and reinstall it? He is using version 7.0.344 as I am.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG Freeware updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG Freeware updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Auggie
by roddy32 / September 9, 2005 9:06 PM PDT
In reply to: AVG Freeware updates

Tell your friend to try the advice on this link from the AVG website.

http:// free.grisoft.com/doc/5471/lng/us/tpl/v5

Copy and paste the whole link into your browser and then take the space out between the http:// and the rest of the URL. I had to put that in there because of the CNET spam filter with the word ''free" in it.

Collapse -
Restart
by auggief / September 9, 2005 9:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Auggie

Roddy, he didn't say that he restarts and then gets message to restart again, which is what I read from this link. He asked me if when I update AVG do I have to restart and I said no.

Collapse -
Find out WHY he has to restart
by roddy32 / September 9, 2005 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Restart

every time Auggie. Is he getting some kind of error message? Is AVG telling him the he has to restart? Or is the computer restarting itself every time he updates? I've seen this question before but without the exact circumstance, I can't really find an exact answer. If you can find out EXACTLY what is happening, then I'll search the AVG forum for you. Happy

Collapse -
Roddy
by auggief / September 10, 2005 12:07 AM PDT

AUGGIE, HERE'S THE DEAL ON AVG:
-I CLICK ON UPDATE.
-IT DOWNLOADS THE UPDATE.
-ONCE DOWNLOADED, I GET A BALLOON MSG DOWN AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WINDOWS SCREEN WHICH SAYS TO COMPLETE UPDATE, RESTART COMPUTER.
-AFTER RESTART AVG SAYS AVG UP TO DATE; NEXT UPDATE SCHEDULED FOR NEXT DAY.
IF I CLICK ON UPDATE AFTER RESTART, IT SAYS ALL UP TO DATE.

THIS HAS HAPPENED THE LAST FOUR DAYS. I DON'T RECALL IT EVER HAPPENING BEFORE.AFTER THE DOWNLOAD IT USED TO BRING UP A LITTLE BOX SAYING SOMETHING TO THE EFFECT THAT UPDATE IS BEING INSTALLED. THANKS,

Collapse -
Auggie, the Update Manager Properties
by Donna Buenaventura / September 9, 2005 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Restart

Ask your friend to make sure that the properties of AVG's Update Manager is set to:
Update Immediately

Do not choose "update upon computer restart

Collapse -
Donna
by auggief / September 10, 2005 12:10 AM PDT

Update immediatley is checked. Then below that it is checked to restart immediately "if" restart is needed.

Collapse -
Auggie,
by Donna Buenaventura / September 10, 2005 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Donna

Thanks for mentioning about the other selection but over in my other system where AVG is installed, the selected item below that is "Require confirmation from the user" instead of of "Restart immediately"

Try telling your friend to change it to use "require confirmation from the user" in addition to "update immediately"

BTW, in their forum, one of their moderator mentioned this:

Another cause is when Windows has a problem performing the tasks it needs to on boot up. Look in the Windows
directory for a file named WININIT.INI (ignore the files with .EXE and .BAK extention) and delete the file.
Reboot the computer and if needed try to update again.

Did s/he tried already the possible solution on AVG website (the link which Rod provided earlier)?

Collapse -
Auggief
by tomron / September 9, 2005 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: AVG Freeware updates
Collapse -
Tom, that AVG link is the same one I gave
by roddy32 / September 9, 2005 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Auggief
Collapse -
Hi Roddy
by tomron / September 9, 2005 10:38 PM PDT

I realized that after the fact.I don't know how you do it so fast.
Tom

Collapse -
LOL Tom. I do it all day long at
by roddy32 / September 9, 2005 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Roddy

quite a number of forums so I have a lot of practice and I know where to look. LOL

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!