PC Applications forum

General discussion

AVG free vs. NAV

AVG 6.0 Free Edition only scans about 49,000 files. NAV 2002 scans about 122,000 files (every time).

AVG Free is set to test all file extensions, archives, and compressed files in the hard drive (C:\) as well as Integrity Check and Heuristic analysis.

I understand AVG free tests the full system upon installation and there after only files witch have changed since the last test. However, to my recollection AVG Free only tested 17,000+ files upon installation.

Is this variance a big deal? Or is NAV just better?

Since AVG is free I am limited to only the Help and FAQ. And my NAV subscription will expire soon and I need to decide weather to renew. Any help to understand what is going on here would be greatly appreciated.

I am using Windows ME, and IE 6 SP 1 and Internet Tools. Microsoft patches and virus definitions for AVG Free and NAV are up to date.

Thanks. Have a great day.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG free vs. NAV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG free vs. NAV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: AVG free vs. NAV

In reply to: AVG free vs. NAV

I've been using Avast (free) and I love it.

Collapse -

In reply to: AVG free vs. NAV

Think about it. Does an antivirus need to scan .TXT files? What other files could be left out?

Awaiting your thoughts.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: AVG free vs. NAV

I really don't know. I always assumed the whole computer should be scanned since all the NAV programs I've used have always had options for "Full System Scan" or "Scan my computer". And I've always assumed that a virus could be designed to affect any type of file. But as I mentioned I really don't know.

An article I read awhile back suggested "Do configure the anti-virus program to scan all files ? not just executable programs" http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-1809.html

Collapse -
Scan a .TXT file? Waste of your time.

In reply to: Re: AVG free vs. NAV

Go ahead, but such are not executable and as such are a non-threat. Your time, your choice.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Scan a .TXT file? Waste of your time.

In reply to: Scan a .TXT file? Waste of your time.

Thanks Robert. I guess "dummies.com" had me in mind.

So do you think there is neccesarily a big difference between a paid NAV and AVG Free?

Collapse -
Caktus, I prefer AVG Free...

In reply to: Re: Scan a .TXT file? Waste of your time.

Been using it for months and very satisfied with results. It can be set for Auto Updates and Scans if desired. I find AVG is not nearly as intrusive as NAV. I suppose it is a matter of personal choice but I recommend AVG.

Best of luck,

Glenn

Collapse -
Re: Scan a .TXT file? Waste of your time.

In reply to: Re: Scan a .TXT file? Waste of your time.

Just FYI. It's not a d-word issue. It's a personal choice.

Since I have yet to find an exploit based on opening a text file I can't bring myself to include such in a scan. That's just one file type I leave out.

As to the NAV vs. AVG topic, its your choice and money. The 2004 version is best avoided. Just look at the user reviews.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.