Avast & AVG forum

General discussion

AVG Free - Latest Version Fails to Operate

by thyde337 / October 7, 2009 9:54 PM PDT

I have made several attempts in the last few days to install AVG free after I had to reinstall Windows XP but the program fails to operate. Immediately after installation the program indicates that it is working correctly but after closing down the computer and re-opening I receive a Windows Security Alert to tell me that my computer has no virus protection installed. Please can anyone suggest a reason for this and tell me how I can correct the problem?

thyde9337

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG Free - Latest Version Fails to Operate
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG Free - Latest Version Fails to Operate
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: AVG Free - Latest Version Fails to Operate
by Dusan_AVG / October 8, 2009 7:18 AM PDT

Hello,

Could you please tell us if there is still AVG icon in your system tray?

If there is and you can open AVG interface, what is the status reported by AVG?

Collapse -
Problem in windows reporting system
by Jiri_AVG AVG Staff / October 8, 2009 7:50 PM PDT

Having similar problem on my home computer, but the warning is related to the Windows Firewall. Despite the fact, that WinFW is correctly running, the reporting system doesn't seem to recognize it status properly. But the problem fades away in a few moments as soon as the status is refreshed.

Could you check if this might be the case on your computer as well?

THanks.

Collapse -
AVG Free - Fails to Operate
by thyde337 / October 12, 2009 8:20 AM PDT

To Dusan-AVG & Jiri-AVG: Thank you for your replies. Since there are other problems on the computer, no E-mails, and the computer blacks out, I have decided to reinstall Windows XP so I will not be trying your suggestions.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.