Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG Free 8.0.1?

I received an email this morning from CNET Download.com Update Alert which said that a new free version of AVG A/V was available, version 8.0.1, download now. My current version is 7.5.524. Is a newer version out which I should download, if so would I first need to uninstall my 7.5.524 which I have already updated today before downloading and installing version 8.0.1 or should I just ignore this email? Does CNET have a spoof email address I could send such items to and find out if the items are legit?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG Free 8.0.1?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG Free 8.0.1?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can get the manual download here

In reply to: AVG Free 8.0.1?

Collapse -
Re: You can get the manual download here

In reply to: You can get the manual download here

Has AVG replaced version 7.5 with version 8.0? Second was the email which I received from CNET Download.com earlier today legit? Third, if it was legit do will I need to uninstall version 7.5 before downloading and installing version 8.0? Roddy32 if you're out there could you answer?

Collapse -
Steve, I would imagine that the e-mail

In reply to: Re: You can get the manual download here

from download.com is PROBABLY legit but I always download something like this from the vendor's website instead of a third party. 8.0 is eventually going to replace 7.5 but I don't know the timeline on that so 7.5 is still supported at the moment. IF you decide that you want to upgrade, then I would download the PDF manual from the link that Harv already gave you and hopefully that will contain instructions.

Below is a post from one of the regular members at CoU who installed this today.

"1) AVG has as of today discontinued support for AVG Anti-Spyware (formerly ewido), an excellent free anti-malware program that I have used for years. AVG Anti-Spyware (and AVG Anti-Rootkit) are no longer available to download, and updates will soon be discontinued, as both are now only included in commercial versions of AVG 8.0.
ref: http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-spyware-and-anti-rootkit

2) AVG today released its free version of AVG 8. I installed this as a backup AV, and it required that I first uninstall AVG Anti-Spyware, and edit out all references to it in my registry via regedit before it would install!

3) During the install, despite unchecking the option to install its pre-checked and deceptively-titled "AVG Security Toolbar" which includes the Yahoo Toolbar, it attempted to install it anyways!"

More here
http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=18114&hl=

Sorry but I do not use AVG myself so I can't tell you for sure if the above is correct but that is what he posted. I strongly advise that you read that entire thread above before you decide to upgrade.

Collapse -
Re: Steve, I would imagine that the e-mail

In reply to: Steve, I would imagine that the e-mail

So are you saying that later this year the free AVG as I know it will no longer be available? Before I started using the free AVG I was using Panda Platinum which I could go back to using although it's not free. I know the Panda Platinum was an A/V software but I can't remember if it was also an A/S software. Since you don't use AVG which program or programs do you use for A/V, A/S, Adware and Malware?

Collapse -
Eventually BOTH

In reply to: Re: Steve, I would imagine that the e-mail

AVG antivirus 7.5 and AVG anti-spyware will no longer be supported or updated Steve. I would keep them for now though until that happens instead of upgrading but that is just MY opinion.

You have other options later when it happens. Another good free antivirus is avast or you could eventually go to AVG 8.0. If it were me, I would go with avast though but that is also just MY personal opinion.

Neither has antispyware but once you decide to do this, I would recommend SUPERAntiSpyware which has a free version.

Collapse -
Re: Eventually BOTH

In reply to: Eventually BOTH

Will I know when the AVG is no longer updateable? Will I receive an error message when I attempt to update both that both can no longer be updated? If you think I should make the switch now I'll do it now. You mention Avast is another good free A/V program and SUPERspyware would be a good choice to replace AVG's free A/S. Do you use Avast on your computer? The free AVG is being phased out to get computer users to purchase the product instead?

Collapse -
Steve, I would keep what

In reply to: Re: Eventually BOTH

you have now for a while like I said earlier. I don't know AVG's reasons for doing all of this and I don't know what will happen when there are no more updates as far as error messages so I am not going to guess. No, I don't use avast but what I use makes no difference. What works for one may not work for another. Larry38, one of our regular members and also a number of other members use avast and they all like it. If and when you decide to make the swtich, I'm sure one of them can help you.

Collapse -
Re: Steve, I would keep what

In reply to: Steve, I would keep what

I read that link, what does the phrase "EULA" mean? That phrase was mentioned a lot. What you use for security software, is it a trade secret? If I have to go back to Panda I will but I want something else that's easy to use for the non- Geek that I am that I can automatically update and scan with every day and have peace of mind. I don't want anything complicated to use.

The poster in that other forum who mentioned downloading AVG 8.0 said something about having to go into the registry and delete everything in there related to AVG 7.5. What is the registry and where is it located because I've never been there nor done that. How do I communicate with this "Larry38" if I have anymore questions on this subject?

Collapse -
Steve. As I said before, what

In reply to: Re: Steve, I would keep what

I use is not important but if you really want to know it is an older version of NAV. It has never failed me so I keep renewing it every year. MANY people hate Norton and I am NOT going to recommend that you use it. You can not get the older version that I am using anyway and the newer versions are much more intrusive from what I understand.

If and when you are ready to go to avast IF that is what you decide, then start a thread in this forum and SOMEONE that uses avast will help you.

Please do not attempt to go into the registry as what was posted in that other link I posted earlier. You will get yourself in trouble if you go in there so please forget that you read that.

Defination of EULA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EULA

Collapse -
Re: Steve, As I said before, what

In reply to: Steve. As I said before, what

Got it, will do and will not go anywhere near the registry whatever that is.

Collapse -
(NT) Good Steve. :)

In reply to: Re: Steve, As I said before, what

Collapse -
Re: Steve, I would keep what

Roddy32:

I went to CNET Downloads.com and under the category of A/V, A/S there was a listing for A/S.com and Super A/S.com and you probably meant the second one because when I went to A/S.com McAfee's Site Advisor had a red warning in the corner, the other site, Super A/S.com had green for go so I assume you were referring to the second site for future consideration to replace my current free AVG A/S.

Collapse -
I don't know how download.com

Collapse -
AVG Free

joe53, the same person who discussed AVG 8.0 at the link Roddy posted, included more details in a discussion here:
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_virus&thread.id=67776

Based on experience with cleanups, I prefer MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware over Super Anti-Spyware and AVG AS.

AVG has always been very user-friendly. You could give the new one a try and see how you like it. If it doesn't suit you, try another free AV.

Collapse -
Re: AVG Free

In reply to: AVG Free

While we're on the subject of security software and having to consider making some changes, I also have COMODO BOClean 4.26 which I recently upgraded to from a previous version, 4.25. Nothing on the horizon that says I should dump COMODO BOClean 4.26 is there? I don't actually know how it works, I have never seen it scan but I do check it for updates every day, I'll click on check for updates, then a pop up appears telling me that UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE and I let it do it's thing.

Collapse -
Re: AVG Free

Is what you use for malware protection better than COMODO BOClean? Someone on this board recommended that I also add COMODO BOClean to my computer last year so I did. I know you should have no more than one A/V program on your computer. Does the same rule apply to A/S programs? That you should have no more than one A/S program on your computer?

Collapse -
BOClean is compatible with

In reply to: Re: AVG Free

other programs Steve. Keep it. The rule for only one antivirus does not apply for this case. BOClean is not an antivirus program. It protects against trojans and other such malware and scans in the background without you even realizing it. I love that program myself.

Collapse -
Re: BOClean is compatible with

In reply to: BOClean is compatible with

So can you have more than one A/S program installed on your computer with only one A/V program and COMODO's BOClean or should you have only one A/V, one A/S, and the COMODO BOClean?

Collapse -
(NT) The first thing you said is the correct one Steve.

In reply to: BOClean is compatible with

Collapse -
Avast

I have used Avast and there interface is terrible compared to Avg

I switch to Avg years ago because it found a Hunt Bar that Avast would not find

Personnel opinion about both programs

Collapse -
Re: Avast

In reply to: Avast

Phil66:

So do you have AVG's Free 8.0 or are you like me still using version 7.5? Do you plan to upgrade to 8.0 if you haven't yet?

Collapse -
AVG 8 incompatibility with Spywareblaster

In reply to: AVG Free 8.0.1?

Collapse -
Re: AVG 8 incompatibility with Spywareblaster

In reply to: AVG 8 incompatibility with Spywareblaster

The only A/S I have on my computer is AVG's free version and I have COMODO BOClean for malware.

Collapse -
AVG forum

In reply to: Re: AVG 8 incompatibility with Spywareblaster

If I were you I would register and pose your queries at the AVG forum

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/index.php?

Hint. To get a satisfactory response pay attention to the sticky on their forum site on how to post and what details they require to save any possible hassles.
Good luck.

Collapse -
I ALSO Just Found This on AVG 8.0 Pay Ver....

I would assume same for AVG8 Free:
Supported Platforms Page at very bottom:

http://www.grisoft.com/ww.platforms

" * AVG only runs on Windows 2000 SP4 + Update Rollup 1, Windows XP SP2, Windows XP Pro x64 Edition SP1 and Windows Vista/Vista x64 Edition or higher.
* The Anti-Rootkit component is not available on 64bit operating systems.

In the main list above this they show supporting "Windows XP" No distinction for SP2 (or SP3 for that matter).

If THIS is true, AVG has just lost me after 8 years ( I'm SP1 ++++)!

I'm really starting to become VERY concerned about these changes at AVG. Starting to look like a Sad, Sad Day! Sad

Collapse -
XP Sp2

In reply to: I ALSO Just Found This on AVG 8.0 Pay Ver....

Guess you have your reasons for not getting SP2. Might be worth a reconsider after all this time maybe. Cheers

Collapse -
Re: XP Sp2

In reply to: XP Sp2

I was posting on another board not related to computer technology info, it was actually a sleep study board and a member started a thread on that board and she wanting to know the best software one could buy to install on a new computer to protect it. I along with several others posted comments in that thread. I mentioned what I was using AVG's free A/V and A/S and COMODO BOClean 4.26.

The member who started that thread sent me a PM wanting to know what she needed to do to make her free version of AVG A/S work with her Panda Platinum A/V protection. I haven't sent her a reply yet but I did have Panda Platinum once myself but that was before the days of switching to AVG. Will AVG's free A/S work with Panda Platinum A/V or not if anyone knows? I would like to send that member on the other board a reply.

Collapse -
Re: XP Sp2

In reply to: Re: XP Sp2

What. nobody can answer my last post as to whether or not Panda Platinum is compatible with AVG'S FREE A/S? I was hoping to tell that nice lady on that sleep apnea board something. She claims her free AVG A/S doesn't work with her Panda. I certainly can't tell her because at the time I had Panda I didn't have any AVG.

Collapse -
Steve the below was posted

In reply to: Re: XP Sp2

at the AVG "Free" website a couple of days ago.

"AVG Anti-Spyware and AVG Anti-Rootkit are no longer available
Important notice
As AVG Anti-Spyware and AVG Anti-Rootkit are now only included in commercial versions of AVG 8.0. Updates will soon be discontinued.
If you are still interested in Anti-Spyware and Anti-Rootkit protection, we recommend that you download AVG Internet Security which provides full protection against these threats and many others."

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-spyware-and-anti-rootkit

AVG Internet Security is not free so I would suggest that she try SUPERAntiSpyware which I gave you the link for previously. I have NO idea what is or is not compatible with Panda. I have never used it and I don't think we have many regulars in here that have it either. I don't see it mentioned very often in this forum.

Collapse -
AVG NOT INCOMPATIBLE WITH SpywareBlaster

They work fine together for me ~~ Vista SP1, ZoneAlarmFree, AVGFREE8.0 , SUPERAntiSpywareFree, SpywareBlasterFree and FF2+ as default browser.

SB's an advanced hosts file that proactively blocks malware while AVG's a traditional reactive scanning program that kills existing malware once it's already on your system.

On the Wilder's Security (aka Javacool aka SpywareBlaster) boards this past few weeks, AVG apologized for the inconvenience to all their mutual users and assured they'd do a patch at least to the language of that FAQ item which they agreed was 100% inaccurate. Javacool and AVG agreed that their programs are completely compatible.

So, AVG and SpywareBlaster are working out how they'll rectify the misinformation and they're further testing their two programs under different environments to make sure and see if in fact a software patch is even necessary.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!