Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG found a Trojan in a TurboTax file...What now???

I ran an AVG scan on my wife's computer and it found and deleted a Trojan horse. So because my wife's computer is networked with mine, I ran an AVG scan on my computer and it found TWO Trojan horses, listed as "Trojan horse SHeur, CJVO". Both were located in files with names including "TurboTax\Deluxe 2003". THAT got me scared. Both computers use ZoneAlarm firewall software and we have a router but is it possible that my SS number or other confidential info has been stolen by this Trojan? And if so, is there a way to verify it or should I just put a hold on all credit aps for the next few months? I'm leaving for a month-long trip to China next week and am kinda scared about what exposure I'm leaving behind.

I have an XP MCE sp3 operating system with Firefox 3.0.1 browser. AVG and ZA both receive automatic update and have the latest versions and definitions. The last scan prior to finding the Trojans was run four months ago (yeah, I know...dumb!).

Can anyone give me any info or advice on how much risk I've exposed myself to?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG found a Trojan in a TurboTax file...What now???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG found a Trojan in a TurboTax file...What now???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be..... False positive ?

In reply to: AVG found a Trojan in a TurboTax file...What now???

Collapse -
Thanks, Marianna!

In reply to: Could be..... False positive ?

Looks like I've got a false positive. I ran scans on the files on http://virusscan.jotti.org/ and on virustotal.com and both came up clean. I'm in the process of preparing the files for transmission to AVG.

Thanks for your quick response! My anxiety level has dropped and now I can enjoy my vacation without worrying about having my IRA stolen!

Collapse -
Sounds good...........

In reply to: Thanks, Marianna!

Glad to hear, you are again: "Calm, cool and collected" Happy

Enjoy your trip Grin

Collapse -
Trojan horse SHeur.CJVO

In reply to: Thanks, Marianna!

Marianna and Calle...please note that I am the one who posted on the AVG site with the question on the trojan and I guessed that it was a false positive because I had seen a similar file infection via a web search. I've not yet submitted to AVG and usually with a FP, there are many folks that get it...just not one or two. So, Calle, please let me know what they say. Odd that you and I would have both gotten one of the two infections in a similar file. Thanks.

Collapse -
Did you scan the "infected file".......

In reply to: Trojan horse SHeur.CJVO

Collapse -
The infected files...

In reply to: Did you scan the "infected file".......

Hi Marianna,

The 2 files had been automatically put in quarantine and I ran another full scan and it came up clean. And when I saw that others (but only a few) had a similar issue, I thought probably a FP. And before I sent to the sites you suggested, I noticed that Calle is in the process of doing so.

But that said, usually when there is FP, the AVG site is very active with the info..this time not, so it may be something else.

No excuse on my end...been a busy day, but I need to send to the sites you suggest.

Thanks!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.