Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

AVG download

Can someone tell me please where can I download a reliable version of AVG anti-virus. I have downloaded it 3 times, twice from the grisoft site & once from somewhere else (can't remember now where tho) & all three times when I've gone to install it, a message comes up that there is a corrupt file.

Does anyone know if there is a reason this keeps happening? Can someone tell me where I can download a version that's not going to be corrupt?

Many thanks,
Nicola

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a good sign

In reply to: AVG download

The primary cause for multiple corrupted downloads is faulty RAM. You can try deleting the setup file you downloaded, and downloading it again, but if it continues to become corrupted, you get to go through the fun process of identifying the dodgy RAM and then replacing it.

Collapse -
Yikes, what does that mean......

In reply to: Not a good sign

that just sounds WAY too serious for this lil' greenie of puters!!

I have downloaded the avg file 3 more times & it is STILL coming through corrupt. This is one of the messages that comes up after it says something is corrupt -

Extracting license_us.txt
Extracting avgsetup.exe
Extracting sporder.dll
Extracting files.dat
CRC failed in files.dat
Unexpected end of archive

Not sure if that means anything to anyone.

SO...having warbled up there, how the heck do I go about getting a reliable & NOT corrupt AVG file? How does one find faulty/dodgy ram?

Nicola

Collapse -
bungyfish

In reply to: Yikes, what does that mean......

Try this LINK,this may solve your issue,there are two pages in this link.

Tom

Collapse -
Not sure....

In reply to: bungyfish

I was downloading the newest version of avg (7.5). I had cleared my cache, temporary internet files etc in between some of the downloads, also ran ccleaner too & I still keep getting the corrupt files. I've read through the 2 pages of posts that you said & I don't think there was anything there that I hadnt done...thanks tho

Collapse -
tried that one.....

In reply to: avg free edition

tried that download & it too came up corrupt when I went to install it....

Collapse -
avg free

In reply to: tried that one.....

When I first downloaded Avg 7.5 to Xp Home Edition

I had to disable all my protection.

I know not wise to be exposed for that period of time

I was getting the same results that you are seeing.

Once downloaded returned my protection and installed all went well.

HTH
Ray

Collapse -
Phil66

In reply to: avg free

You mean your previously installed AV somehow corrupted the AVG install files? Very odd. Did it log anything?

Collapse -
avg corruption

In reply to: tried that one.....

Did you get anywhere with your problem? I have the same; uninstalling AVG, as someone suggested, proved impossible and there are other strange effects.....

Collapse -
Did you use the method noted at...

In reply to: avg corruption

Collapse -
WinXP Manager can solve your problem......hopefully.

In reply to: AVG download

Try installing WinXP Manager and once installed, clean out all the junk files on your PC, then clean the registry, (back it up before deleting), and once all is finished try downloading AVG from Grisoft or even from here. All should go well.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.