General discussion

AVG detects trojan upon trying to use Works Word Processor.

When I tried to open Works Word Processor, yesterday, AVG detected "trojanhorse2.BRUP" or something like that and it isolated worksWP.exe into the virus vault. This made WorksWP inoperable. I tried to reinstall it from the app folder on the recovery partition and it came up with the same problem. I then tried to use a copy of the installer that I put onto a flash drive back in August and the same thing happened. Is this a trojan or a false positive in AVG? I tried to use Virustotal.com to scan the works installer in the recovery partition but it keeps jamming.

This morning, AVG lost its virus database. Could this all have been the result of an poorly installed update to AVG or something actually hacking my AVG?

I updated Spybot and ran a scan of my computer with that, and it found nothing except for a few tracking cookies.

I have been using AVG antivirus free for years and this version for about four months and its never had a conflict with works before.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: AVG detects trojan upon trying to use Works Word Processor.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: AVG detects trojan upon trying to use Works Word Processor.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
AVG Detects Works as Trojan

Hello
I have the same symptoms as of yesterday. It was from AVG9. The works .exe file & the same .exe file (from what looks like an update folder) were detected & I put them into the virus vault. I updated to AVG 2011, restored them, but it also detects them as a trojan.

Any news?

- Collapse -
Submit files
- Collapse -
AVG Detects WksWP.exe as TojanHorseAgent2.BRUP

Hello, my husband has had the same problem on his computer (XP Media Center Home Edition). He hadn't used MSWorks (8.0 Version) for a little while,and yesterday he tried to open an MSWorks Word Processor saved file. None would open. The Word Processor feature of MSWorks is non-functioning. Word processor doesn't even come up in the list of programs to choose within MSWorks. Other program features appear to be okay. I looked in his AVG Virus Vault and noticed that on Oct 27 AVG had sent 2 files to the vault during it's regularly scheduled scan: a System Volume Information file & WksWP.exe file. I am leaving them stored in the Virus vault until I find out if it is safe to restore them. He is using the AVG Free Edition 8.5 version. It is set to update the Virus DB daily. I have sent the file for analysis with my email, but have heard nothing back so far. Strange, but my own PC has AVG 9.0 Free Edition, & MSWorks, but I am using an older 6.0 Version of MSWorks. I checked mine and it appears to be untouched and working fine.

- Collapse -
Re: AVG Detects WksWP.exe as TojanHorseAgent2.BRUP

Hello all,

Please be informed that false positive detection "Trojan horse Agent2.BRUP" was removed by virus database update released "2010-10-27 11:32:05 CET". Please update your AVG and check the situation again.

Thank you

CNET Forums

Forum Info