Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG AV Free 7.5.487 upgrade question.

by Big Steve / September 14, 2007 5:24 PM PDT

I have AVG Free AV 7.5.487 on both of my computers. I received an email 2 days ago from CNET Downloads that an upgrade was available and to download it now. Will I need to uninstall my current version of the Free AVG AV which happens to also be 7.5.487 before I download and install the new; upgraded version on both of my computers? Feedback anyone?

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
09/15/07

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG AV Free 7.5.487 upgrade question.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG AV Free 7.5.487 upgrade question.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi, Big Steve...I Don't Belive You Need Do Anything...
by tobeach / September 14, 2007 7:20 PM PDT

beyond using AVG's internal updater . Normally these upgrades are downloaded & installed automatically once you select & click upgrade.

I don't know why you'd want to download from C-net rather than use direct link in program.

On the early AM of the 13th there was an program update offered & just now there was another "Optional" which included defs & a program file which I clicked on. My AVG Free bottom right shows:7.5 487/269.1319/1008
dated 9/14/2007. Use updater, that's what it's for and no other action on your part needed at this time. Enjoy!! Grin

Collapse -
Not a big fan of AVG AV
by link48010 / September 15, 2007 12:51 PM PDT

AVG antivirus is not my favorite program. For Shareware, I like Norton and for free I like Avast 4. fewer scans that slow things down, faster updates, better simpler interface, less false positives, stronger resident scanner, and it's a lighter program. I used to use AVG but I won't again unless I have too.

Collapse -
Re: Not a big fan of AVG AV
by Big Steve / September 15, 2007 3:36 PM PDT

Well the current version that I have I manually update every day; it does it's scan; no threats are found but I'm still wondering if I need to uninstall my current version and go to that site listed in my email from CNET Downloads.com and download and install the new version which happens to have the same version number as mine; 7.5.487 or just leave things as they are and do nothing? Thanks for your posts.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
09/16/07

Collapse -
You shouldn't have to uninstall
by link48010 / September 15, 2007 3:42 PM PDT

you shouldn't have to uninstall the old version first. Actually I think AVG has a repair option in the add/remove programs menu.

Collapse -
Steve, disregard the e-mail
by roddy32 / September 15, 2007 4:19 PM PDT

from Cnet downloads. From what you have said, You already have the new version, the program upgraded automatically which is what it is supposed to do. You don't have to do anything but delete that e-mail and forget about it.

Collapse -
Re: Steve, disregard the email
by Big Steve / September 15, 2007 4:48 PM PDT

Will go ahead and delete the email but had the newer version had a different version number than what I currently have would I have needed to do the upgrade or by me manually updating the software every day does that eliminate the need for doing any upgrade? Thanks for the post.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
09/16/07

Collapse -
Oops, my bad.
by link48010 / September 15, 2007 5:00 PM PDT

I think all upgrades and updates are built in. Restart should be about the most you should need to do with a major program update. Sorry but I misunderstood the question earlier. I though your updater wasn't working.

Collapse -
Steve, AVG Antivirus
by roddy32 / September 15, 2007 5:16 PM PDT

updates automatically via the program itself. You should NOT be doing upgrades for the program via CNET downloads. Just forget about CNET downloads when it comes to AVG. When AVG has an upgrade, they release it gradually over a 2 or 3 day period so the servers don't get overloaded so there is absolutely NO need for CNET downloads for upgrades for that program.

Collapse -
As I recall.
by Bob__B / September 16, 2007 12:10 AM PDT

When that update came out and if you do manual updates...you were give a choice of:

Priority/recommended/optional.

Priority got you the latest defs for your current version of AVG.
Recommended got you the latest defs and the newest version of AVG.
Optional got you all of the above and a new setup file.

Since you seem to have the latest version you must have chosen at least recommended.

No idea what CNET is talking about as I go to the maker for updates.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.