PC Applications forum

General discussion

AVG, AOL/MCAFEE, and ZONE ALARM

by THUNDERxRAGE / July 21, 2007 2:42 AM PDT

Okay, I can get the AOL/MCAFEE Security Suite for free thru AOL.

How great are they? I've been using them.

Zone Alarm Security Suite is great, but causes YIM to go off/on. Yes, YIM is set on to full allowed.

What about AVG Security Suite? Better than ZA?

I've looked around, but would like better descriptions of which have the best advantages and what it is.

I use a Broadband router. Windows XP firewall is turned off.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG, AOL/MCAFEE, and ZONE ALARM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG, AOL/MCAFEE, and ZONE ALARM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Over in the Security Forum...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 4:46 AM PDT

You see people try to make sense of this. The problem is what criteria do we use to determine what's best?

Be sure to take advantage of the few posts over about this in that other forum.

Bob

Collapse -
Still cant find anything.
by THUNDERxRAGE / July 22, 2007 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: THUNDERxRAGE

Personally, I think Zone Alarm is best, but I'm very close to dumping it, since YIM keep logging off/on. This has happened before when YIM upgraded. I stopped using Zone Alarm and started to use AOL/Mcafee. Few weeks ago, I decided to go back to Zone Alarm and there was no problem of causing YIM to log off/on (wow). Sadly, two days ago, I had to reformat the computer (problem noted on different thread). Now I got ZA and YIM, same versions as it was before reformat, and this problem of YIM logging off/on is happening. I'm getting very frustrated. Is there any known fix to this or something? Should I contact Yahoo or Zone Alarm? I have YIM set to FULL ALLOW.

Collapse -
THUNDERxRAGE
by tomron / July 22, 2007 8:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hi Tom
by THUNDERxRAGE / July 22, 2007 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: THUNDERxRAGE

Yes, I did look in that forum section. Most threads is confusing and I did read sum threads. It is still hard to decide. I'm not good at deciding on my own. Every firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-keylogger, and all else is always favored the best by people, so it is hard.

The forum is titled, Virus and Security Alerts.

The keyword - Alerts.

Meaning, announcements of latest virus and security threats.

That is what I view the forum of.

I feel that I'm in the right forum, Software and PC Application.

I'm still searching around and trying to decide. My mind is a bit slow these days and it is hard to take in everything and remember.

Collapse -
THUNDERxRAGE
by tomron / July 22, 2007 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Tom

How would you make your decision if member A says ZA is the best,while member B says comodo is the best.

Thats why I say best is in the eye of the beholder.

I am not able to tell you whats the best,all I can suggest is trail and error.Since you have XP,it has a firewall,try it before seeking third party firewalls.

The rule of thumb is one anti virus and one firewall enabled simultaneously.

It is recommended to have more then one anti spyware since one may catch what another one may miss.

We don't know if you are only interested in freebies,or you are/will consider paid versions.

Check my profile.I only have freebies and no third party firewall.

Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?