Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

AVG anit virus plus firewall beta

Has anybody downloaded the above.

I have ZA firewall on and would the AVG Firewall interfere with it.

Liz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG anit virus plus firewall beta
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG anit virus plus firewall beta
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: AVG and Zonealarm

In reply to: AVG anit virus plus firewall beta

You are confusing: in the subject you mention AVG Antivirus, in your question AVG Firewall.

It wouldn't make sense to have two firewalls running (three if you include the one that comes with Windows XP). But it certainly makes sense to have both a firewall and an antivirus program. It's very well possible to combine Zonealarm firewall with AVG Antivirus.

Kees

Collapse -
AVG and Zone Alarm

In reply to: Re: AVG and Zonealarm

Sorry to be confusing - I know it is bad policy to run two firewalls together - I took off my Microsoft one when I installed Zone Alarm.

Its just that AVG have brought out a Beta version of AVG7 WITH its own firewall and I wondered if anyone had tried it.

Liz

Collapse -
AVG...........

Why don't you try it and see? You can always delete!
Can you shut off the AVG firewall, and run just the ZA?
Or visa versa? ZA is a GOOD firewall, and AVG is a GOOD free AV program. Maybe you can run them both that way.

Collapse -
AVG

In reply to: AVG...........

I think I prefer to stick to ZA and see if I can just download AVG 7 - I am having problems in getting my Norton AV updates (and not on my own) so I am thinking of going back to AVG. The problem was when it first came out I downloaded it but had problems with my emails and went back to Norton - worse luck.

Liz

Collapse -
AVG...........

In reply to: AVG

I think you've made a wise decision! God Luck!

Collapse -
AVG and ZA...

In reply to: AVG

Hi Liz,
I used the AVG Free Version along with Zone Alarm Firewall, for close to a year, with no problems. I had Norton 2003 as a backup and kept it disabled except to update. When my Norton subscription expired, I removed Norton completely. I went to AVG Pro ( paid version ) so now I Use AVG Pro and Zone Alarm Free. No problems at all.
Good Luck
Larry

Collapse -
avg free anti virus vs norton, what do I do? HELP

In reply to: AVG and ZA...

Per the Dell help desk paid support line, [that I paid a bundle for] I was told to uninstall my norton systemworks which I have had nothing but problems with since I installed it, and to run avg free version along with ad-aware, and the new microsoft anti spyware beta. My concern is whether or not I'm REALLY protected from new viruses, and getting new virus definitions like I would with norton. Can anybody tell me if this avg free program is really better than norton anti spyware 2005? I wish I had never bothered with norton systemworks, but the anti virus is my concern!
I have a dell dimension desktop 4300, running windows xp, sp2, my isp is earthlink, I have 512mb ram and an internal hard drive with 20gb, and an external with 40gb.I also run registry mechanic, and spybot search and destroy.
I had to reinstall my os recently due to spyware, adware, and viruses while running norton systemworks, so I've had it with that program! But what about the rest of these things I'm running, and is there a big advantage to the paid avg program as opposed to the free one? Dell says no, but every tech that I talk to at dell gives me completely different advice, and I am REALLY, REALLY, CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP Bill R

Collapse -
Bill, In The End, It's Your Decision...But...

In reply to: avg free anti virus vs norton, what do I do? HELP

....all of the tools that you have been referred to will work well. Many users on these forums use the FREE AVG program and it has served them well. The AVG antivirus updates well and detects viruses effectively..The primary benefit of AVG over Norton's System Works is that it doesn't put a strain on the system (lots of background programs running with System Works) and therefore your computer can run smoother.

Likewise Ad-Aware and the Microsoft Antispyware Beta program are excellent for preventing and detecting spyware and other types of malware.

Another suggestion for you is to make your internet browser more secure...(Surfing the internet is the most common method of becoming infected with spyware) The most common method of spyware redirects is inappropriate scripting and ActiveX controls on various websites. You can use a browser like Firefox which doesn't use ActiveX controls at all OR you can "harden" up Internet Explorer security settings so that ActiveX and scripting are set to "disable" or "prompt".

Those security settings in Internet Explorer can be reached by opening the Control Panel, double click on "Internet Options", choose the "Security" tab, click on the "Internet" icon (the world globe), then click on the "Custom Level" button. Once that opens, then scroll down to the "ActiveX Controls and Plugins" section and the "Scripting" section and place a CHECK mark in the "Disable" or "Prompt" box (instead of "enable") next to the "Safe" settings. Leave the "unsafe" options to "disabled". Click on "Apply", then OK, etc.

To download and use the free Firefox browser, use the link below:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

But remember, YOU are the best "tool" in preventing malware of all types..Be cautious when visiting unknown websites. (Don't click on any links unless you know what they're for.) Delete all unknown e-mail messages. (Remember what curiosity did to the cat.) And visit the Virus and Security Alerts forum, then READ and LEARN about the various exploits that are out there. Education about the problem can't hurt.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Avg for ever

In reply to: avg free anti virus vs norton, what do I do? HELP

Hi Bill,

I have been using AVG for about 7 years and have had no problems whatsoever, I also use Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, Microsoft AntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard.
I run XP Home SP2. A friend recently went on the internet for the first time using Norton's AV and in 2 months had collected more viruses and Trojans not to mention spyware than I could imagine, spent a whole day cleaning his system and getting it working again.
I also use Cleanup and Reg Seeker and I clean my system after every Internet session, probably overkill, but it works for me. I might also add it took an hour and 44 minutes to update everything on the 2 computers on our network today (Dial-up Connection) such is the price of security!

Max

Collapse -
Will ZA firewall interfere?

Let us know if you try the AVG beta version!

Im using AVG Pro, with Zone Alarm Pro, Spybot, and others. Im also using the firewall in my modem/router thereby using two levels of firewall protection with no conflicts what so ever!

Im a mid level user and "if" I understand correctly my own set up...one is a hardware FW while ZA is a software FW and this is probably "why" im having no conflicts. FYI.

I do find that both ZA and AVG seem to be as friendly to other programs as possible (as compared to others) but where both are software I would guess a working test may be the only answer.

Zone Alarm website has a great users forum. They may already have the answer there!

Ken

Collapse -
Re: I asked ZA forum @ will report back

In reply to: Will ZA firewall interfere?

I forwarded this question to the pros at Zone Alarm and will let you know the outcome. I dont know if anyone there has tried yet.

Ken

Collapse -
No luck in ZA forum

In reply to: Re: I asked ZA forum @ will report back

So far it does not appear that anyone in the ZA forum has tried these two together yet. I only received one reply saying it likely will not work due to using two software firewalls together. FYI.
Ken

Collapse -
new reply from ZA forum reports no conflicts (but)..

I got a new reply from an advanced user in ZA's forum stating she has been using the new beta version w/ZA running and so far so good. No conflicts. She did add that of course everyones puter is different. Depending on OS, config., utilities, etc...

Just FYI,
Ken

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.