Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG 8 free kills RADMIN

by JimHale / June 28, 2008 12:43 AM PDT

When I upgraded a remote PC from avg 7 to avg 8 it disabled Radmin 2.2 and I cant connect to it from my home.

AVG 8 free thinks radmin is spyware I guess.

I expected this cuz avg did that to my home PC when I upgraded. Whatever I did here fixed the problem, but I dont remember what that was.

I went to the avg resident shield, advanced settings and radmin is in the PUP exceptions. And in resident shield, I checked the use excludes box, and added the path to radmin... c:\program files\radmin\

How can I stop AVG from disabling radmin 2.2 on this remore PC?

My home PC is a Dell Inspiron 9100 XP Home. The remote PC is an old machine with Win 2000 on it.

Thanks

Jim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG 8 free kills RADMIN
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG 8 free kills RADMIN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AVG 8 free kills RADMIN......... there are MORE programs...
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 28, 2008 3:55 AM PDT

like Windows Defender, Kaspersky......

I found a thread at Radmin......

http://www.radmin.com/support/forum/read.php?FID=11&MID=29410

As Mike Gotts stated:

I can can only speculate that you did not actually download AVG from Grisoft, but from a third-party "download" site that wrapped it in an installer which dumped a bunch of ***** on your system. The official release, available from free.grisoft.com is utterly and completely clean. It has fewer features than the commercial version and doesn't get the same priority with definition updates, but otherwise works quite well.

http://www.radmin.com/support/forum/read.php?FID=11&MID=29410

Maybe it would be a good idea, to post on the AVG Free forum?

http://freeforum.avg.com/index.php

Collapse -
avg VS radmin AVG wins
by JimHale / June 28, 2008 5:07 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply, and checking those links for me.

I did dl avg free direct from grisoft, so I didnt fall for the bundle scam.

When I installed avg I tried to register for the free forum but that failed. I tried again today, but was only able to read posts. I searched and found that many others have the same problem.

Not allowed to register for the free avg forum sucks.

I tried several ways.

My radmin is not a paid version, but the older 2.2 version. The CEO suggests we update to the paid version of radmin to fix this AVG problem.

^%%$#@!!

He says radmin 3 is ok with AVG free.

How nice. Now I have to get a paid version of AVG to use my free radmin, or get the paid radmin to use the free AVG.

DANG, huh?

LOL

AVG wont let me report the false + as my AVG license is free.

AVG 8 free is 3x slower than the old free AVG.

Looking for another free AV !!!!

Looks like AVG is getting worse?

Jim

Collapse -
Maybe there is ....... hope???
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 28, 2008 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: avg VS radmin AVG wins

I found another thread:

I have fixed the problem!
OK, first - install the latest AVG update as I mentioned in my above post.
Next - and here is why my Radmin wasn't working - when I told AVG to "heal" that infected file "mirrorv3.dll", it actually deleted it! Therefore, you need to replace that file.

I tried to upload that file on my server for anyone to download but because it's a .dll, my server wouldn't allow that file to be downloaded by users! Hopefully you have a clean copy of that file still on your computer. If not, maybe the RAdmin people can put up a link to download that file.

Put that file in the following directory (this is using Windows 2000):
C:\Winnt\system32

If you are using XP, the path might be:
Put that file in the following directory:
C:\Windows\system32\
If that doesn't work for XP, then put the file here:
C:\Windows\system32\rserv

Collapse -
Did all that, AVG still finds radmin when it scans
by JimHale / June 29, 2008 4:27 AM PDT

On this home PC (Dell on XP) AVG and radmin coexist, kinda. Both can be installed and AVG will do its job scanning my email, and watch for bad downloads. But when it does a scan, it still finds radmin and calls it a threat.

The scan might find other items, and when the scan is done I am unable to remove anything, cuz radmin will go too. Lucky that real threats popup as a separate window, and I can heal them, or move to the vault.

I have made radmin path an exclusion, in the resident shield, pup exclusion. Grisoft needs to issue an update to AVG Free 8 to leave radmin alone.

On the 2 older PC's I control running Win2000 they are 60 miles away, so not easy to work on. I go to the city where they are located, reinstall radmin, and AVG, and radmin works. By the time I drive back home, I cant connect to the remote PC's. We have done the uninstall, reinstall, and we still loose remote control. So had to remove AVG.

We dont surf the web with these remote PC's, so they are fairly safe. But still AVG is uninstalled, and I dont like that.

BTW, the 2 remote PC's are running 24/7 and providing audio (Winamp music playlist) to microtransmitters that cover about half the city, on the AM radio band, under FCC part 15 rules for radio experimenters.

http://peacetrain.gotdns.com:8002/

Thanks, I'll keep trying!!!

Jim

Collapse -
Logging in at AVG FREE forum......
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 28, 2008 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: avg VS radmin AVG wins

Do you see this line:

Goto: Forum List?Back To List?New Topic?Search?Log In

I CAN log in Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?