Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

avg 8.0 free

all day today I keep getting a pop up saying I have to restart my computer for update...I have not visited any new websites..is something up with AVG today????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: avg 8.0 free
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: avg 8.0 free
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IF the popup is coming

In reply to: avg 8.0 free

Collapse -
ok..every single time

In reply to: IF the popup is coming

I do an update now I have to restart computer...I can not deal with this...what else is there out there to get??? I am tired of restarting..I have work to do...what is going on with AVG 8.0

Collapse -
It appears that you are not alone

In reply to: ok..every single time

Collapse -
Roddy

In reply to: It appears that you are not alone

thank you..I did the repair and it seems ok now...thanks...I was getting ready to just uninstall and go with McaFee..I get that free with Comcast..but everyone has said it is a memory hog so I have not done it...

Collapse -
(NT) Great news, You're welcome :)

In reply to: Roddy

Collapse -
To Roddy

In reply to: Roddy

I finally did have to uninstall AVG because of update problems. They were constant and everything seemed to be just a temporary fix. 8.0 was not ready to be released yet. They should not have done that. There are more than just restart problems. And I did install McAfee Virus Scan Plus. No memory hogging. Nothing bad at all. Infact, it caught a trogan and something else that AVG never caught. There was a simple custmazation and my computer is 50 times faster than with AVG. For 20 dollars more I bought it's SiteAdvisor Plus and that really was a plus. If a website was red or anything but green, it was completely blocked and I was told why. It also updates by itself and no restarts. I have to work as well, so I wanted to tell you. I really hope you have no more problems with AVG, though.

Collapse -
(NT) I don't use AVG myself either :)

In reply to: To Roddy

Collapse -
so conult81

In reply to: To Roddy

you did go to McaFee? Maybe I should do that, it is free with my comcast service ...I just heard that people said it hogged the memory...

Collapse -
Working good here. Only 1 restart per machine.

However in the past we ran into this issue when MULTIPLE protection softwares were installed. Remember that Teatimer/Spybot issue?

Collapse -
Spybot & (was) Also Spyware Blaster By Javacool...

I "think" Javacool got that fixed for SB (not sure).
Are you sure AVG 8's update function has auto permission thru your firewall? The update function (manual?? or Auto?) has a different .exe name and some people had to give the update exe separate additional OK thru Security Center.

Beyond that, you could try Avast! Free AV/anti-malware program. Many will as their OS to old for new AVG 8 (not supported) so forced elsewhere. http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
or Avira? : http://www.free-av.com/
Check System specs first to be extra sure!! Good Luck! Grin

Collapse -
I just checked my firewall and

In reply to: Spybot & (was) Also Spyware Blaster By Javacool...

yes it is checked to give permission..I just logged on and the first thing I got was you have to restart to be fully protected EVEN THO I did restart after I did the update last night. I am not liking this..

Collapse -
Sorry I Can't Offer a Better Guess....

In reply to: I just checked my firewall and

since mine is one of those "unsuitable" for 8.
Possible it's set to auto scan at boot-up??(Default Setting?) If you don't boot, only log on/off, it 's saying, in effect, "I haven't scanned at start of this session therefore you may have an infection from before...I don't know ..so can't give assurance of full protection unless you re-boot to let me scan?

Sounds like the weasel word disclaimers that "Corporations" love so much these days. Sadly Sad AVG is behaving much more like a thoughtless Corp. these days.
Or maybe it's calling for Service Pack 1 ?? July 04/08:
NEW Updated SP1 for AVG 8: 8.0.135 Was 8.0.130 Good Luck!! Happy

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: Sorry I Can't Offer a Better Guess....

I did a repair and so far, so good. If it starts acting up again, I have decided to totally uninstall and go with McaFee...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.