General discussion

AVG 7 - False positive of Win32/Mkar.k virus?

I updated my AVG 7 free virus definitions today and did a scan.

AVG came up with a virus detection for Win32/Mkar.k virus in my ...\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004\Support\Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004_EZ.exe

Weird, as this is a retail game I purchased last year and have played many times, and had scanned many times by AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware and MSAS without any problems.

I came up with these sites when I Googled Win32/Mkar.k

http://computercops.biz/postt106680.html and
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=67323

and it seems this may be a false positive by AVG on some EA Sports games, although AVG Tech Support haven't yet said so, and have suggested to one other person that his EA Sports game, (a different game), might be a cracked version.

So, just to let others know, that AVG 7's recent definitions update may display a false positive.

Unless, of course, it's already been mentioned...........!

My false positive is quarantined for the time being, but the game still seems to play ok. I beat Tiger Woods, yet again!

Mark

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: AVG 7 - False positive of Win32/Mkar.k virus?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: AVG 7 - False positive of Win32/Mkar.k virus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Yeah,I can outdrive him too!

I got the same,I automatically assumed it was FP.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Do you also drive a Buick? :D
- Collapse -
The mod in their forum said
- Collapse -
Thanks Donna

I downloaded the update, restored the apparent false positive file from quarantine and did another full scan and the scan went through the TIger Woods game folder without further problem.

Mark

- Collapse -
You will be

rewarded with a hole-in-one now Mark. Grin

- Collapse -
LOL

Now all I have to do is beat Michael Schumacher in Formula 1 Grand Prix racing!

Mark

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I don't think that can be done yet. :D

CNET Forums

Forum Info