Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG 7 BETA install problem

by caktus / October 30, 2004 8:20 AM PDT

After installing it offers option to restart to complete the installation. When I click on Yes the computer attempts to restart but locks up on the Windows ME screen. The only way to get back to Windows is to revert back at least 1 to 2 hours (long before the installation attempt.) Found no info regarting this problem at Grissoft.

I have downloaded AVG 7 BETA twice and attempted installaion several times each. Up to date NAV and S&D report no viruses or pests.

AVG 6 worked great on my system.

Any ideas out there? Or should I perhaps wait until the real AVG 7 comes out?

I am using Windows ME on a GW 800 PIII.

Thanks. Have a great day.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG 7 BETA install problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG 7 BETA install problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: AVG 7 BETA install problem
by Brent Welch / October 30, 2004 9:36 AM PDT

I've had no problems installing the BETA AVG 7 on my Windows ME machine.

Have you tried unchecking the box before "Restart the computer", and restarting manually after a short time?

You also stated that NAV reports no viruses. Do you ALSO have NAV starting on your computer WITH the AVG 7 BETA. This could possibly cause conflicts and a failure to restart.

If you can't get it installed, it may be best to reinstall AVG 6 or NAV, and wait until the final version of AVG 7 FREE is released in the near future.

Collapse -
by glenn30 / October 30, 2004 9:44 AM PDT

Well caktus, if it was me I would wait for the real thing. As you can see you get little if any support for beta and conflicts do occur. Most likely the beta would need to be uninstalled before installing the final version to prevent corrupting the final version.

Just my opinion... yours is as good as mine. Wink

Good luck,

Glenn

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / October 30, 2004 1:55 PM PDT

glenn ive been useing beta for long as its been out in beta np what so ever

Collapse -
NT No change but thanks any way, ya'll.
by caktus / October 30, 2004 11:17 AM PDT

qqqqqq

Collapse -
Same AVG problems with WinXP on a hp pavilion
by fredlock / November 16, 2004 7:53 AM PST

I have used AVG for year, but when I had to update to AVG 7 not the same deal. When I installed it, it worked great until I powered down. The next morning I could not bring my machine up. I had to go to safe mode and totally uninstall. I couldn't even use system restore from the safe mode. I did this twice and had to go to another virus program. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to see them as AVG has always been good to me.... Fred

Collapse -
Re: Same AVG problems with WinXP on a hp pavilion
by mjrtoo / November 17, 2004 5:30 PM PST

Same exact problem for me as well, on an XP Home install. I was running Mcaffe unitl it expired and wanted to go free for a while.

As soon as you reboot, it just hangs at the windows splash screen. Entering safe mode and deleting the program brought be back.

Unfortunatly, you can't get support for the free version. I guess they will lose my 35 bucks, I can't even try out the dang program...

Any ideas?

Collapse -
Re: Same AVG problems with WinXP on a hp pavilion
by Mark5019 / November 17, 2004 8:47 PM PST

you can email them for help

Collapse -
AVG 7
by Modemmogul / February 21, 2005 12:14 PM PST

I would be curious to know what operating system you are running. I went from 98 to XP to XP Pro with no problems from AVG. You might try to clean up the machine, defrag., and run anti-virus to check for virus. Then use a good download source like Cnet or AVG. I say that because there are lots of fake sites offering downloads of software that are actually spyware programs. After you get your computer back to proper operating condition set a new system restore point before installing. Then reinstall the AVG 7. I have various machines running with different OP software that had no problem with AVG 7, including some 98, ME, and XP systems. Although the AVG upgrade is more suited to the XP user.

Modemmogul

Collapse -
AVG are set-up problems. Go with Avast4 Home Edition
by skyace / December 20, 2004 8:59 PM PST

A few weeks ago I totally removed AVG. After 3-4 days of use I didn't have a choice! I also didn't have a choice regarding the up-grade. Grisoft set a final date for AVG 6 and showed this notice from Grisoft: "Announcing the End of Support for AVG Anti-Virus 6.0" We had to act as it seemed as though we were running out of time to make the change to the new AVG 7.0.

I was then using Windows ME (now 2K Pro). After I switched to version 7.0. I no longer could receive my email. I had used AVG for quite sometime so I didn't blame it for the problems.Who would offer an up-date that didn't work. Was there pressing reason to make a change of directions. Otherwise why not do proper testing?

I spent 2 or 3 horrible days with my local server .. mostly waiting on the phone blaming them in an irate fashion. Finally my web searches revealed that others were having problems with AVG as well.. nothing from Grisoft however. I read and acted on most mentioned solutions outlined at the forums etc. It became clear that AVG was not making the proper system changes during the set-up. Horrors! I followed some of the advice until after I had made 3 or 4 changes and nothing changed I removed AVG and downloaded Avast4 Home. I had used Avast for a lengthy period of time before switching to AVG. I am not sure why, but I liked AVG over Avast. It was probably something as simple as their nice interface.

I appears those using Win XP are able to use AVG 7 free without problems. I guess Grisoft's efforts were directed at the XP crowd. However, when I receive Outlook Express mail from those using AVG 7 (XP) all messages have the attachment icon included even when no attachment is included. It appears all of my messages sent (ME) also had the attachment icon. Even if there are no noticeable problems with AVG, who the h... wants to show an attachment on all of their emails. Nowadays, with the growing malware worm population, many newer 'puter people delete attachment emails at once.
Perhaps one of you will find an announcement by Grisoft but I haven't yet seen anything. Shame!

For many years I have tested, tried and used as much free software as I can. They deserve support. I make donations accordingly and submit my thinking in forums etc. I wonder though if saving on anti-virus software is a good idea. Norton and McAfee are said to be amongst the best, The rule should be ... all anti-virus software free or costly offered to the public should do the job. The only worry we should have is how much memory is involved and how much is my surfing being slowed down. I wonder who leads the pack in this area. Here for Avast4 Home Edition free http://www.avast.com/eng/free_software.html
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Larry

Collapse -
AVG is fine, its your ME & 2KPro that's the problem
by Modemmogul / February 21, 2005 11:53 AM PST

Microsoft Me was one of the most bug plagued operating systems ever created. 2KPro...please. Go to Windows 98 or upgrade to XP for Gods sake. I have read several of your posts concerning various software(freeware) applications and I can almost guarantee its your operating system. I have used AVG with 98, XP, and XP Pro. No problems with any of them. The upgrade that AVG made was simply to keep up with new system upgrades from Microsoft. Go to XP at the very least and I think that 99% of your problems will cease. But AVG, Firefox, and some of the others you have mentioned are very good software and written by some of the best developers.

Modemmogul

Collapse -
AVG and Firefox are they perfect. Some think so!
by skyace / February 23, 2005 3:39 AM PST

Your allegations are wrong modemmogul I?m not quite sure why I am defending my comments. Perhaps because you indicated you were curious. You speak as an authority on Windows ME. Seems strange since you never have used it. I quote you... "the most bug plagued operating systems ever created"... also.... " and I can almost guarantee it?s your operating system" (Win ME)
I used Window ME for many years without problems. Please tell me what bugs you are referring to? My Firefox browser was never run with Win ME OS. Only with Win 2000. There goes half of your argument!
Please readers ... Don't dump your Windows ME before you have searched the web and read articles regarding XP's spying and controlling reputation.
Win ME has some excellent features. 1. System Restore? included in new XP OS. 2. ME has nice multimedia goodies also added to new XP with a few frills! 3. ME has nice movies software and Microsoft's slide/video/movie software can be added. . now in XP. Note: Windows 2000.. 98 ,, 95 have few to none of these features.
I have been using Win 2000 Pro. For the last several months. Quite frankly, I have never had to deal with as many viruses. trojans, worms .. backdoor stuff.. etc ! Along with ME. I also have used Win 98se, 98, 95, Win 3.+, MSdos, Dos, I have not seen this kind of infection! Things are. under control now, but it as been quite a battle. Not sure if I should blame Win2k Pro. but it?s hard not to! I have wondered about updates??? Fortunately I have a partitioned disk, yesterday I had to format and re-installed Win 2k. So much for NTFS being the cats meow. At least Win ME would have permitted me to restore.
For the curious: I run Norton anti-virus, Sygate Personal Firewall, Peer Guardian. Spyware Blaster, and verify with Spybot S&D, and Ad-Aware.
A probable advantage of 2000 is NTFS instead of FAT (Win ME). However, NTFS will handle only some smaller problems but NTFS is the thing which keeps me from going back to Win ME. FAT: fast more errors, NTFS: slow less errors.
Regarding your AVG comments. As with all incidents, problems or bugs I usually spend a lot of time researching the cause. The AVG anti-virus bug was very real. I found a couple of dozen postings in various forums outlining the same problem I had. I tried all hacker/teckie recommended solutions. They did not work! AVG seem not want to deal with it. The AVG bugs were not as serious with Win XP users. However it did placed a false attachment icon on all outgoing emails. I still get mail with the icon from people I know. Most newbies I know will delete all email with attachments if from unknown address; I consider this a problem. I liked AVG (esp.the GUI) before the beta version. I would need a sworn affidavit from them to use it again. It took hours of my time trying to find out why I couldn't and send email. Worse, I blamed my server.
The Firefox issues have taken a lot of my time as well. My Firefox post was designed for beginners not for you. I suggest to you and other non-believers to join the Firefox forums. Also check Bugzilla. I won?t give up Firefox but It's simply not ready for the newbies.
You said and I quote,,, ?are very good software (AVG Firefox) and written by some of the best developers? My answer to that is; Windows ME was written by better than the best developers. (which you said was bug plagued)
As I said I rarely make comments without reason and I do a fair amount of research. We should all do the same.
Thanks

Collapse -
AVG 7 BETA install problem
by Syntax / December 21, 2004 1:01 AM PST
Collapse -
Is Roxio or AVG at fault
by skyace / February 23, 2005 4:02 AM PST

I'm reading a Roxio driver must be removed before AVG 7 beta or the OS can be used. It seems the choice is removing the driver or AVG . Hummm.. a poor choice! Since many weeks ago I had an AVG problem regarding my outgoing mail which was never solved I would like to know if anyone has determined if this problem is created by AVG or Roxio? There is obviously a conflict. When I experienced the AVG problem, I acted on a few suggestion about removing various parts of programs which conflicted with AVG. Not a good idea! This approach to solving problems is questionable. Someone has a glitch in there software.Who? Good luck

Collapse -
Since the AVG 7.0 BETA expired...
by Brent Welch / February 23, 2005 4:41 AM PST

November 30, 2004, this thread is outdated, and any further comments are unnecessary. Therefore I am locking it.

Any further comments or problems can be posted in a new thread.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?