Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG 7.5 troubleshoot

by valcartw / February 22, 2007 8:14 PM PST

I have a newish computer - 1 year old and have had AVG free edition 7.1. I tried to upgrade to 7.5 and dowloaded new file followed all the instruction on repair installation etc but now get the error message:
Installer initialiszation failed due to the following error:
Error: Termination of application Complete Test (class Avg70TestClass) failed. Access is denied. (5)

Any ideas what I can do now?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG 7.5 troubleshoot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG 7.5 troubleshoot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In the AVG forum there is a note about..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2007 9:16 PM PST
In reply to: AVG 7.5 troubleshoot

How to uninstall the old and install the new. That's called a clean install which cures that for most.

Bob

Collapse -
AVG
by valcartw / February 22, 2007 11:15 PM PST

I won't uninstall from the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs

Collapse -
Regrettably the 'add/ remove programs' is
by dawillie / February 22, 2007 11:23 PM PST
In reply to: AVG

the proper way to remove a program.

As Robert says, a clean install of the new build is the proper way to go, given that you appear to have a faulty version.

you could try posting in the AVG Forum, to see if they have any 'outside the envelope ideas'.

Good luck.

David Williams

Collapse -
Instruction
by Donna Buenaventura / February 22, 2007 11:26 PM PST

1. Download the latest AVG Free installation package from [free.grisoft.com]
2. Run the AVG Free install file
3. Choose the Uninstall option and follow the setup wizard, when you get to the part to remove user settings, select it.
4. Restart your computer then...
5. Now reinstall AVG using the setup file you got in step 1 and update it.

Reat it at http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?8,81925,sv=

Collapse -
In Grisoft forum, it doesn't ask to remove via Add/Remove
by Donna Buenaventura / February 22, 2007 11:30 PM PST

Please see the message I posted. The error you received is the same as the poster in the AVG free forum so the instruction by moderator is to use the installer to uninstall AVG but you need to restart the computer in safe mode.

Here it is again:

"Perform the uninstall portion in Safe Mode and then finish the reinstall in normal mode...

1. Download the latest AVG Free installation package from [free.grisoft.com]
2. Run the AVG Free install file
3. Choose the Uninstall option and follow the setup wizard, when you get to the part to remove user settings, select it.
4. Restart your computer then...
5. Now reinstall AVG using the setup file you got in step 1 and update it."

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?8,81925,sv=

Collapse -
AVG 7.5
by 19nb / February 25, 2007 7:58 PM PST

I got same kind of message. I had to save the update file, then shut down the browser (Firefox)then update from the file & start up again.
There was a conflicting file in the browser use that was blocking the update.
Hope this helps.
mike Scargill

Collapse -
Free
by dragonrider / February 25, 2007 8:08 PM PST

there is no longer a free AVG.

Collapse -
Free AVG
by Hoofhearted / February 25, 2007 8:25 PM PST
In reply to: Free

Available from Grisoft or Download.com

Collapse -
AVG free version
by tanker12uk / February 25, 2007 9:02 PM PST

sorry mate but your wrong you just have to look a bit harder to find it but its still there

Collapse -
Avg free version link
by tanker12uk / February 25, 2007 9:08 PM PST
Collapse -
Clean install
by tanker12uk / February 25, 2007 9:01 PM PST

Hi if you tried to do the update after the old 7.1 expired then it can cause problems do a clean instal of 7.5 after you have removed 7.1 with add and remove problems and that should sort out your problem.
if the error continues then I suspect that you have picked up a nasty maybe a trogan that is blocking your instal of security software
try a scan with spybot 1.4 or another anti spyware /trogan buster which you know

Collapse -
Nothing like a good format
by ricanman / February 25, 2007 11:23 PM PST

If you can't uninstall it, I strongly suggest you save your important files and format your HD. If you can, buy a program like Drive Image 7.0 or Norton Ghost utility to create an exact image of your HD. So, next time you may have an issue like this, you can go back to a clean no-problem system.

Collapse -
Troubleshoot AVG
by LeeWilliams / February 26, 2007 1:49 AM PST

Did you try sending an e-mail to Gri-soft?
technicalsupport@grisoft.com
Copy and paste the above address into your e-mail and send them an explanation of your problem. Their support is pretty good, as they usuually answer back within a day or so. They have one of the better support programs and I am sure they can help you. I would not go back to the "Free" version if you have paid for the Upgraded version. I have had it for a couple of years and find it very satisfactory...

Hope this helps........

Lee Williams

Collapse -
small risk
by bahurobert / February 26, 2007 8:40 AM PST

I think u AVG free edition have been cloned. better download directly from AVG source vendor than other.

Collapse -
it also happen to me..
by infectedvirus / February 26, 2007 12:19 PM PST

i have norton antivirus then when the 30 trial cut my subscription... i renew my subscription the it has an error.. so i have to delte the norton antivirus.. after that... i download the latest version of NORTON anti virus .. then it has an error same like yours.. dont know why too... really suckssssss.....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.