Computer Help forum

General discussion

AVG 7.5 ??

by irishrock / March 21, 2007 3:44 AM PDT

I have WindowsXP Home Sp2 IE
I've been reading about AVG on here & decided to get it.
I uninstalled Norton,but my goodness, there's so many different kinds of the AVG stuff..I'm not sure what to get to download..I already have Adaware. I love the "free".... The computer is mainly for e-mail, games & the like. No high tech. I need some advice on which AVG to download..ok?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG 7.5 ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG 7.5 ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AVG Anti-Virus
by linkit / March 21, 2007 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG 7.5 ??
Collapse -
I've been to grisoft.com
by irishrock / March 21, 2007 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG Anti-Virus

That's where I found all the different types of AVG..
Do I need a firewall thing? Help?

Collapse -
more help
by linkit / March 21, 2007 5:20 AM PDT

Did you click on the link I provided?

More hand holding...

AVG Anti-Virus (free):
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-virus-free

Click the ".exe" link immediately under "AVG Free for Windows installation files" to download the AVG Anti-Virus installation program.

FIREWALLS:
You can use the built-in firewall that fully updated XP and Vista have, or just download and install free ZoneAlarm.

Collapse -
Even more help
by linkit / March 21, 2007 5:23 AM PDT

A good strategy is to have one antivirus program, multiple antispyware programs, and one personal firewall. I use all free version on my home computer.

AVG Anti-Virus

AVG Anti-Spyware
Windows Defender
Spybot Search & Destroy
Ad-Aware SE Personal

ZoneAlarm firewall

Collapse -
ok I did it.
by irishrock / March 21, 2007 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Even more help

Thank you for your advice and help..
My late husband always had Norton Antivirus & I just stayed with it....till I started reading in here.
Every Mon night Norton would do a full system scan..will AVG also do a scan at a special time?...I guess what I'm trying to ask is..is there anything that I'm supposed to do with AVG? I do run scans on Adaware every week. Thanks again.dw

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / March 21, 2007 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: ok I did it.

I visit the AVG update daily and do a scans with avg weekly. (manually)

AVG anti virus AND AVG anti-spyware

Collapse -
PS look into switching browser to firefox
by JP Bill / March 21, 2007 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Response
Collapse -
Yes
by jackson dougless / March 21, 2007 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: ok I did it.

AVG Free does a full system scan nightly I believe. I use my computer also as a TV, so there would be several times around midnight that it would pop up and annoy me.

The drawback to AVG Free, is you can't really alter the time and frequency of these tests. A small price to pay for a decent free AV program if you ask me. If you require this kind of flexibility, you might want to look at the free version of Avast. The catch is, every couple of months, you have to send in a new registration. Again, a small price to pay for a free quality AV program.

Collapse -
Jackson, thanks
by irishrock / March 21, 2007 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

I'm not on the computer much at night so that won't bother me. I have learned alot on this forum....and believe me, I have asked some "dumb" questions, but no one has ever put me down for them. Nice, good feeling...so I'll be back..LOL

Collapse -
Free Avast vs Free AVG
by ktiff / March 23, 2007 10:12 AM PDT

I downloaded the free version of Avast a month ago for my new computer running Vista. At that time, AVG's free program was not Vista ready. You cannot schedule Avast to do a total scan but it does seem to scan everything coming in to my computer and everything going out and it does download automatically new virus definitions when available.It also installs, automatically, new versions. AVG could be scheduled to do complete scans on my Windows ME computer and I'd have it on my new one in a flash if AVG were Vista ready.

Collapse -
Re AVG in Vista
by anmor / March 23, 2007 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Free Avast vs Free AVG

I'm using AVG free 7.5446 on Vista Home Premium for the last 2 weeks and it works fine in it.
JohnM

Collapse -
Again you guys missed the boat
by libra 210 / March 23, 2007 2:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Re AVG in Vista

I down loaded the best progam from this site along time ago it's called AVAST it's better than AVG. As AVG try's to take over your computer & controls it while Avast does all the same things it's easy to install & use + it's free also the only draw back you have to set it for it to run it won't do it automatic, I do it while I'm checking my E-mails late at night the same goes for SPYBOT.
Vince.*

Collapse -
again you guys are missing the boat
by Senior33 / March 23, 2007 8:02 PM PDT

sorry Vince, I prefer AVG, as Avast takes up more resources than AVG.

Collapse -
Avast
by maddog9112001 / March 23, 2007 11:38 PM PDT

I think Avast is better than AVG. I have a multi boot system and use it on both XP Pro and Vista. With Avast you can set your screen saver to run scans while your computer is idle. It is also nicer looking and can be skinned. The only draw back is it takes longer to load when you boot up. Both programs have Norton's beat hands down.

Collapse -
AVG Scheduler
by hughv / March 23, 2007 4:52 PM PDT

The AVG schedule for tests and updates is easily changed.
Open the Test Center , then the scheduler, select the item you wish to change, then select "Edit Schedule ".
I've used this excellent program for several years without any problem at all, and it gets excellent reviews.

Collapse -
Re: you can't really alter the time
by jonah jones / March 23, 2007 8:22 PM PDT

and frequency of these tests

highlight the "test plan in basic mode" and click edit schedule

Collapse -
Time of AVG tests CAN be scheduled
by bwhit88 / March 25, 2007 10:12 AM PDT
jackson dougless wrote:

....>> The drawback to AVG Free, is you can't really alter the time and frequency of these tests.

That's not entirely correct, dougless...agree that you can't change the frequency, but you can certainly specify whatever times you prefer for running the two tasks AVG has in the free version. At least you can for the free AVG v.7.5.446 I have on my XP SP2.

Could be you've elected not to display the Scheduler task on AVG's Control Center screen, however, the same functions are always available via the Test Center's menu buttons.

Click here for a couple related screenshots.
Collapse -
Virus programs
by pgang / March 26, 2007 8:52 PM PDT

I have been reading these threads with great interest. On my computer (IE^6), I have Norton 2006; Ad-Aware SE personal; Tune-up utilities 2007.

Do I need an extra virus/spyware? I did have Spybot before but it slowed my computer down a lot so I un-installed it.

Collapse -
Virus and anti spyware programs
by ktiff / March 27, 2007 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Virus programs

Since you are already running Norton Antivirus, you don't need or want another virus program. The two would probably conflict. I ran AdAware SE Personal on my old computer (which had Win ME) and Spybot until Spybot started to give me problems. Then just did with AdAware. I also ran Zone Alarm, the free version and AGV, the free version. Never had any problems in the seven years I had that computer.

I now have Vista on a new computer with Avast Antivirus, free version. Haven't decided yet whether I need Zone Alarm but will probably download AdAware Se Personal after I've checked if it is Vista ready and read the forums.

Collapse -
Avg....
by LeeWilliams / March 27, 2007 1:50 PM PDT

For anyones perusal...

I have been using the "paid" version of AVG for over a year now and find that is quite easy. I runs first thing in the morning when I start my computer, but you can still run problems while it is doing it's thing, and you can set it as well! The good thing I like about it is the cost was under $40.00 for two years and the support has been great, even though it is only e-mail support. They are pretty consistent in answering and have been quite helpful.

Lee Williams

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.