HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

avg 6 ending support

by Mark5019 / October 25, 2004 3:08 AM PDT

End of Support for AVG 6.0
Grisoft announces the end of support for AVG version 6.0 effective on December 31, 2004 for technical reasons. This version has been available since 1999. It's structure does not allow for further improvements planned for version 7 nor improvements of detection techniques expected to come in the future.

End of support means we will no longer provide program updates or Virus Database updates for version 6.0 and therefore, within days, this version will not protect against new virus outbreaks!

Current AVG 6.0 users should upgrade to AVG 7.0. Information on upgrading to version 7.0 can be found at http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_upgrade.php.
- October 25, 2004 -

well as ive been useing the beta i wonder what will be offered for free if anything?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: avg 6 ending support
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: avg 6 ending support
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: avg 6 ending support
by Brent Welch / October 25, 2004 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: avg 6 ending support

The beta version that you and I are using is the new free version.

It is expected to be finalized by the end of November, when the beta version expires.

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / October 25, 2004 4:00 AM PDT

i hope so lol as i like it

Collapse -
by Brent Welch / October 25, 2004 4:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Larry38 / October 25, 2004 4:03 AM PDT

Need some input please. How is avast 4 compaired to AVG 7.0? I like AVG6, but with no support it is time to change.
Have never tried avast so don't know anything about it, other than what I have read on their web site, also they seem to update often. Appreciate any pros or cons.
Thanks
Larry

Collapse -
by glenn30 / October 25, 2004 4:13 AM PDT

Larry, from Brent Welch's post it appears there may be a new free version in the works. Hope so as I have been very pleased with AVG 6 Free.

I too am interested in Avast and hope current users will respond with their experience.

Glenn

Collapse -
by Larry38 / October 25, 2004 4:21 AM PDT

Yep, I am also pleased with AVG but I am also interested how Avast compaires to AVG. Maybe Marianna or Donna can share some insight on this question. Didn't want to start another thread.
Larry

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 25, 2004 5:09 AM PDT

Hi Larry,

I have tried the free version of AVAST for a while - it is fast - but I got several "False Positives" and gave up. They are also good in regular updates - I "think" you have to try it out yourself. I liked AVG better. ONLY my personal opinion.

HTH

Collapse -
by Larry38 / October 25, 2004 5:21 AM PDT

Thanks Marianna,
That answers my question, think I'll stay with the AVG.
Larry

Collapse -
by smes2537 / October 28, 2004 10:07 PM PDT

Hi Larry,

I've been using Avast along with AVG for well over a year. I like Avast it works hard, pops up and works in any email client I've chosen to use (as well as instant messaging, P2P shield and its standard shield working away constantly in the background) and updates itself very efficiently. The only time I really prefer AVG is when I wish to quickly scan an individual file - AVG is much faster then. I shall be interested to see, and use, AVG 7 and hope that they will both continue to work happily along side each other. But it would take a lot to stop me using Avast, it has saved me from serious problems for a long time and I have no hesitation in recommending it to family and friends and that's saying something! Happy

Good luck with your decisions.

Sue

Collapse -
by philocon / October 29, 2004 12:06 AM PDT

I have used avast for a while and found it pretty good. I have used AVG and several other antivirus free and not free. I downloaded avast to try when Netguide a NZ magazine from the IDG stable (the publishers of PC World) ran comparative tests on several antivirus both free and not free ones. They claimed that Avast tested best of the free antivirus and performed better than some of the not free apps. AVG came a fair way down their list which surprised me. I tend to be cautious and sceptical of these tests but it did prompt me to try it out and I've used it since and am happy with it so far.

Collapse -
by Brent Welch / October 25, 2004 4:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Larry38 / October 25, 2004 5:27 AM PDT

Hi Brent,
Does the BETA Version seem to work good enough to try? Any problems with it?
Thanks
Larry

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / October 25, 2004 5:37 AM PDT

larry im useing beta i like it very much

Collapse -
by Larry38 / October 25, 2004 5:42 AM PDT

Thanks Mark,
Think I will try the BETA. Do I need to uninstall the AVG6 version or can I keep it on the PC?
Larry

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / October 25, 2004 6:14 AM PDT

i downloaded the new then uninstaled the 6

Collapse -
Do not uninstall AVG6
by Donna Buenaventura / October 25, 2004 5:53 AM PDT

Larry,

I'm using the freeware beta version of AVG7 (also has AVG6 in other system). AVG7 beta is expected to expire in Nov. 11 and Grisoft plan to make the AVG7 free available by that time (after the beta expired and became final version).

Grisoft noted in the announcement that the end of support for AVG version 6.0 effective on December 31, 2004 which means users can still continue to use their freeware AV program with free updates until Dec. 31. Seems to me that users need NOT to uninstall AVG6 soon since it is still supported. Wait for free AVG7 next month (November) or before 31st of December to be released and available for download then AVG6 users should go ahead and uninstall AVG6 to give way to AVG 7 Grin

With regards to Avast, I have no idea how it works now. It's been so long Sad but I've seen good feedback on Avast from other forums. One thing... avast has their support forum for technical help for paid and freeware vesions --> http://forum.avast.com and it supports many email programs.

I suggest NOT to uninstall AVG6 soon. Wait for freeware AVG7 which is pretty and sweet because it supports many email program because of the embedded email scanner (also supports Mailwasher by scanning email while being checked from the server)

Hope this helps Larry Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Donna... Suggestion is sound advice!
by glenn30 / October 25, 2004 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Do not uninstall AVG6
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Glenn and Larry :-)
by Donna Buenaventura / October 25, 2004 11:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Donna
by Larry38 / October 25, 2004 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Do not uninstall AVG6

Thank You for the great answer, I will wait till AVG 7 is released as the free version. As long as Version 6 will continue to be supported I see no reason to use the BETA.
Again Thanks
Larry

Collapse -
by dawillie / October 25, 2004 4:28 PM PDT

have been using AVG 7.0 for over a year.

the important feature is the AVG email scanner.

subject to current definitions, the email scanner strips virus infections and places then in the virus vault as the email is downloaded into the in box from server.

in addition there are two new tests that can be used which are 'detailed' user test and 'detailed' complete test.

you can set the parameters for what you want scanned as well as use the scheduler to start the tests at pre determined times.

this is in addition to the basic test and the basic user test.

hypothetically speaking you can scan 4 times a day and at varying intervals.

hope this helps.

Collapse -
by BroJohn / October 28, 2004 10:52 PM PDT

I am using Avast and really like it much more than AVG. I have been using both of them so will not upgrade to AVG 7 since Avast updates, sometimes more than once a day depending on what is out there. It has caught everything that has been sent my way in my email and it works well with Eudora which is also a plus. AVG doesn't update unless you tell it to or every 14 days, if you happen to be online and not active when it comes up for update.

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / October 29, 2004 12:06 AM PDT

if you set avg to update every day it does so wheres the problem and if theres more than 1 update avg does more than 1

Collapse -
by nessan / October 29, 2004 3:40 AM PDT

I have never used AVG but have tried some of the other commercial ones and have not been that impressed with them until I came across Kaspersky Personal Pro. Any one looking for a change should take a look at this. What has really impressed me is that when I have asked for support I have received it the same day, unlike some of the other comercial ones. Oh by the way I have no commercial interest in Kasperskylab.
www.kaserpskylab.co.uk

Collapse -
by mareke / October 28, 2004 4:35 PM PDT

There will be a new free version from what I read on their web site. Presumably it will be a cut down version of their AVG 7.0 retail.

Collapse -
by sbrager / October 28, 2004 5:12 PM PDT

Go to the Grisoft website and you'll find the new free version of their anti-virus software.

Stan

Collapse -
by SysGoddess / October 28, 2004 9:04 PM PDT

I've never seen them actually support the free version. On the one occasion that I had need to contact them last year when their product failed to update on several client computers the support persons command of english was so poor that even had they offered any real support it was probably mangled.

Collapse -
by peterlamborn / October 29, 2004 12:49 PM PDT

Or, users of this product could just wise up and get rid of it and install NAV 2004! Not the whole System Works, just the NAV. That would solve the problem permanently.

Collapse -
Re: "....wonder what will be offered for free if anything?"
by John Robie / October 30, 2004 7:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: "....wonder what will be offered for free if anything?"
by Mark5019 / October 30, 2004 8:06 AM PDT

its the beta which looks like what donnas showing ive been useing it

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.