Avast & AVG forum

General discussion

AVG 2011 Installer Error

by spiderbunky / November 6, 2010 4:57 AM PDT

I was installing AVG 2011 free version on a computer running Windows XP. At the end of the installation was prompted to restart my computer. I chose not to restart at that time as I was playing a game on the computer and wanted to finish it. When I finished the game I restarted the computer and received this error:

AVG Installer - Error
A system restart is required in order to continue with the installation. Please restart your system and try again.

I get this error each time I restart and cannot get past it. How should I proceed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG 2011 Installer Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG 2011 Installer Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: AVG 2011 Installer Error
by Ondrej_AVG / November 7, 2010 3:25 PM PST

Hello spiderbunky,

please follow these steps:
- open registry editor (menu Start -> Run -> enter "regedit" and confirm OK)
- find this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

- right-click on it and choose "Export" to backup
- remove record named "PendingFileRenameOperations"

Check the situation again.

Thank you

Collapse -
AGV 2011 installation error
by ChrisWessels / November 20, 2010 7:35 PM PST

AVG Installer - Error
A system restart is required in order to continue with the installation. Please restart your system and try again.

I get this error each time I restart and cannot get past it. How should I proceed?.

I have te same problem. Only your solution for Windows XP doesn't work because I use Windows 7 64 bits. Can you help me please?

Most regards,

Chris
The Netherlands

Collapse -
Re: AVG 2011 installation error
by Ondrej_AVG / November 21, 2010 3:48 PM PST

Hello ChrisWessels,

Please use latest version of AVG remover (build 1165), then remove all remained AVG folders* (if exist):

C:\Program files(x86)\AVG
C:\ProgramData\MFAdata

C:\ProgramData\AVG8
C:\ProgramData\AVG9
C:\ProgramData\AVG10
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\AVG8
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\AVG9
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\AVG10

Then check the AVG installation again. What is the current situation?

Thank you

* Some folders could be hidden by default Windows settings. To view hidden files and folders:
1. On the taskbar, click Start -> (Settings) -> Control Panel -> (Appearance and Personalization) -> Folder options.
2. Click the View tab.
3. Click ?Show hidden files and folders? (the name may vary depending on the operating system).
4. Click OK.

Collapse -
problem persisits
by hanswelling / November 30, 2010 4:06 AM PST

Hi,

I have Xp and the same problem. Tired your suggestion but there was only a reacord named
FileRenameOperations wihich I deleted but it didn't help.

please more suggestions because it is annoying and I am without virus protection!

thanks

hans

Collapse -
Re: problem persists
by Ondrej_AVG / November 30, 2010 2:25 PM PST
In reply to: problem persisits

Hello Hans,

Please use latest version of AVG remover (build 1165), then remove all remained AVG folders* (if exist):

C:\Program files\AVG
C:\Documents and settings\All users\Application data\MFAData

C:\Documents and settings\All users\Application data\AVG8
C:\Documents and settings\All users\Application data\AVG9
C:\Documents and settings\All users\Application data\AVG10

Then check the AVG installation again. What is the current situation?

If the situation still persists, please gather (pack in an archive or zip file) latest AVG installation logs and "avgremover.log" from folder, where AVG remover has been run, upload the archive (zip file) to favorite online storage and provide us with link to uploaded file.

Thank you

* Some folders could be hidden by default Windows settings. To view hidden files and folders:
1. On the taskbar, click Start -> (Settings) -> Control Panel -> (Appearance and Personalization) -> Folder options.
2. Click the View tab.
3. Click ?Show hidden files and folders? (the name may vary depending on the operating system).
4. Click OK.

Collapse -
Twice
by A-V-8 / December 15, 2010 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: Re: problem persists

I had to run the uninstaller twice but the second time it worked.

Collapse -
Something similar happening
by Eoraptor1 / December 21, 2010 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: problem persisits

Something similar is happening on my laptop, and HP Pavillion running Windows XP SP3, but with some differences. My install is the paid version of 2011 Internet Security, which I got a disc purchased in store as part of a 3 machine license for use with a home network. I had used the trial version on desktop workstation (also running XP SP3)and ugraded that to a paid version with no problems using my paid license. The disc I used to intstall to the laptop installed Internet Security 9 sucessfully, the problem came when I attempted to upgrade following the prompts. Something must have gone wrong, perhaps a broken download, because the upgrade failed, and now I can't get rid of the error message. I've now re- and un-installed four times, scrubbing the system the best I can, using avg remover as indicated, and removing remaining (and hidden) files, but upon restart I still get the error message asking for yet another restart. I couldn't find "PendingFileRenameOperations" entry in the registry, but it may have been wiped by avg remover. I did attempt, after a complete uninstall of 9.0, and installation of the upgrade via downloaded installer from avg.com, but this was interrupted by the error message asking for another restart, which being done led to...the same error message. I'm running out of patience and ideas. For the time being, my desktop rig is working fine, but my laptop is stuck in this loop. As of this writing, I've reinstalled version 9.0 from disc so the laptop won't be completely unprotected. Any help would be greatly apprieciated. Many Thanks.

JAMES

Collapse -
Re: Something similar happening
by Ondrej_AVG / December 21, 2010 3:57 PM PST

Hello Eoraptor1,

as you are using paid AVG product, I would recommend to contact AVG Technical support through this website:

http://www.avg.com/customer-support

This restart loop during installation should be fixed with the next AVG program version (10.0.1190 and newer) and is happening in unique cases during upgrade from older AVG product.

Please follow completely the uninstallation part of this thread at AVG Free Forum. Then use the full installation file of paid AVG from this website:

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/download.prd-avc (use second or third link)

What is the current situation?

Thank you for your cooperation and patience

Collapse -
New install is up
by Eoraptor1 / December 22, 2010 7:20 AM PST

Ondrej_AVG

Thank you for your prompt answer. I thank you, and my blood-pressure thanks you. The new avg remover tool did the trick, and it only took one run. The .exe bundle from avg.com installed without incident. For the time being AVG 2011 is running trouble-free. Be assured if there's any trouble I'll contact AVG customer support immediately. I did think it strange that my in-box installation disc installed AVG 9.0 first and then upgraded, but it's now a case of "problem solved". I've been a long time CNET "lurker" and signing in has been well worth it.

JAMES

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?